I'm working on some inversions right now and I'm not too articulate with them on paper, so I was wondering if you guys could tell me if I'm right?

In this instance they're both Fs but one is a 6 and the other is a dom7, but I guess that doesn't matter

They both start on C, so I would assume they're both 3rd inversions.

I guess I'm confused because if I'm thinking correctly, I could've written the inversions down wrong. My assignment was to start with the top note and write them down and then write the inversion of the chord.

In both cases the the A was on the top, the 3rd, so I wrote them in order (going down) like this

A, F, D, C

A, F, Eb, C

F6 and F7 respectively

Sorry for my stupid question, I just gotta be right
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
A F D C - F6, first inversion

A F Eb C - F7, first inversion
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
On top?

Wouldn't it make more sense to start on the bottom since that's the identifying chord tone?

C D F A is the 3rd inversion (bass on the 7th) of D-7: D F A C
C Eb F A is the 2nd inversion (bass on the 5th) of F7: F A C Eb

can you see how I arrived at these two answers?

By the way, it is misleading to say these are F6 or F7, since they are inversions. F anything implies the ROOT is F.

But in the first case, it's actually a D chord. More accurate to say D-7/C or D-7/7th
Second one: F7/C or F7/5th

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at May 2, 2011,
Well the assignment I'm doing has the root chords but it only gives you the final note, in both cases were A

I could have done it wrong but that's the original file
Very very poorly worded directions. I'm assuming the voicings have to be close position (important to indicate). And it's a shame they are not considering voice leading.

But in this basic case, yes you are right!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Alright, another question because I'm unsure ha!

This one is Ebmaj7, its the last one in the pic.

I put the D in the bass, would that be right and would that be a 3rd inversion as well??
Quote by TDKshorty
Alright, another question because I'm unsure ha!

This one is Ebmaj7, its the last one in the pic.

I put the D in the bass, would that be right and would that be a 3rd inversion as well??

Yep.

If it's closed position chords, just think about it like this:

Whatever the next chord tone is, is now on the bottom.

So you see the Bb (the 5th of Emaj7). The next thing to come will be D, the 7th. So now just move that to the bottom and fill the rest in conjunction.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yep.

If it's closed position chords, just think about it like this:

Whatever the next chord tone is, is now on the bottom.

So you see the Bb (the 5th of Emaj7). The next thing to come will be D, the 7th. So now just move that to the bottom and fill the rest in conjunction.

I just wasn't sure what to call it ha, the quality of the inversion, but thanks!
What's the difference of a 6th chord and a 7th chord? Different functions?

The reason I ask is that I saw the F6 (first inversion) as Dm7 (second inversion).
Quote by d1sturbed4eva
What's the difference of a 6th chord and a 7th chord? Different functions?

The reason I ask is that I saw the F6 (first inversion) as Dm7 (second inversion).

something 6 chords (add 6) don't exist. it's stupid, i dunno why people use them. if you look at any add6 chord, it's actually a 7th chord with the added 6th being the root. i particularly dunno why they use it in college, it's so misleading and will give people an incorrect item of theory, how the hell is that helpful
Whilst in most cases 'add6' chords are infact inversions of 7th chords, they do exist. There's always the cliche of ending a song on a major add 6th chord.
Quote by griffRG7321
Whilst in most cases 'add6' chords are infact inversions of 7th chords, they do exist. There's always the cliche of ending a song on a major add 6th chord.

i know but i dunno if even believe that's a chord or are they actually just ending on vi7, i'm skeptical!
Well a chord is named by it's function, if it's acting as a I chord chord, it's I

'Add6' chords are annoying though, especially when you see 'C6 in 2nd inversion'.... *cringes*