just wondering how the EMG HZ H4's sound compared to an 81/85 and blackouts. also whats the difference between all the HZ's? I have heard the HZ H4 is the way to go.

thanks,
-antonvrg
my explorer has the HZ's in it, im not sure if there the H4's tho, but there not bad, at times they can seem a bit stale and twangy, in the neck they have some good cleans, otherwise there not bad

but id probly go with the active emg's or blackouts, or passive seymour duncans
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Jackson JS30 Rhodes (modded)
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
Quote by antonvrg
what makes the SRO's better than the HZ's?

Everything, the HZ's are more lifeless than the actives, and sound worse. The SRO's are based off a more traditional style pickup, being designed to do more than one thing, I've played a set, and I like them just as much as I like Bareknuckle pickups, super versatile.

Think of it this way, the HZ's were EMG's attempt to make a passive pickup something it's not, and the SRO's are EMG's attempt at making a passive pickup that acts like a passive pickup is supposed to.
okay thanks, I'll check them out. any popular guitar models have them? if so then ill look in some of the local stores.
i didnt mind the h4's in a jackson i had, kinda like them better than the 81/85 that i put in there. but i threw the two H4's into a gibby SG for the hell of it, and i really liked the 81/81 i put in there better. YMMV.

but looking at your sig, do you really need a third guitar with EMG branded pickups or actives for the matter?

i would look elsewhere for high output pickups.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
EMG HZ's... hm.

The typical H4/H4A set you see EVERYWHERE is pretty damn terrible.

That said, I have an H2N in the neck of my M-200FM, and I actually really like it. It's a lot nicer than the H4 I have in the bridge of that guitar anyway.

But neither of them even come close to touching the tone of the 81/60 set I have in my H-301.

If you're going for nice clean/bluesy tones, I'd recommend the EMG H2 set, but for metal, stay away from HZ's. Because you'll probably want the H4's, which suck ass.

Just ebay around for an 81/85 or 60 set. Sometimes amazing deals pop up.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
HZs are gross.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com