Page 1 of 3
is fascinating.

Now I ain't no Christian (or no born again saint (Eh? Anyone?)), but a few months ago I discovered a handful of Christian punk bands that were actually punk bands and it kinda blew my mind.

It sounds ridiculous, but I reckon despite the almost universal animosity between the two groups, they aren't incompatible. When you really think about it, it's kind of surprising that it's not more of a thing.

It seems to me that the idealistic and moralistic strains of The Punk Rock are predominating these days (like I know shit). And while the biggest and loudest segments of the Christian community are, and have been at least since the '80s, malevolent Republicans, there will always be those guys that look to a higher power and shit because they can't accept the suffering in the world, etc. Hating the world is pretty cr00st. Christian anarchism is just slightly more superstitious anarcho-pacifism. You see what I'm getting at.

Of course I say this all tongue-in-cheek. What really draws me to Christian punk is the hilarious slogans. Which brings me to The Bands You Should Listen To.

The Bands You Should Listen To

OFFICER NEGATIVE is the first one I found and still my favorite. That's because they have the best slogans. Just check out some of their song titles: JCHC, Dead to the World, God's Not Dead. They released two albums of musically uninspired sort-of-streetpunk with delightful lyrics, then later switched to melodic death metal, which is no fun.

CRASHDOG is highly outspoken against conservative Christians and stuff. I guess they're more political in nature, while OFFICER NEGATIVE favors marginally more personal songwriting/sloganeering. They don't have mohawks and stuff like OFFICER NEGATIVE, though, so they're not as punk.

WORLD AGAINST WORLD is a not-bad crust band with cool vocals and absurdly long song titles. They were previously SPUDGUN, a more traditional JCHC band whose album was banned from LifeWay (or some such store) if I remember correctly.

HEADNOISE is one a lot of people like. Female vocals.

LUST CONTROL is somewhat more hard-rockish. They dressed wild and silly, and their music is a lot less earnest than most of their "peers." I think that's because they were self-conscious about the inherent cheesiness of JCHC.

And you guys know about JESUS SKINS, but that's not really the same thing.

Some Blogs (and other stuff) I Found
http://www.thumperpunk.com/ (mixed bag of punk and other stuff)
http://godarkopunk.blogspot.com/ (in some kinda gibberish, deal w/ it)
http://theclassicchristianrocksite.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/the-essential-christian-punk-collection-part-2-hardcore-punk/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjfOMwTNPkI&playnext=1&list=PL2242B1B6CDFD6C1F
Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ at May 4, 2011,
I read the rock band bible once. I think one of the first commandments was "Thou shalt not call themselves Christian Punk, that is retarded."

Every Day Life from the LA scene back in the 90s. They were kinda Rage Against the Machine-ish, but very punk influenced (my Dad works with the singer, when I met him we had a long talk about what the best incarnation of Black Flag was)
I had a jam with my main man today, we wrote a few new tracks, they're REALLY ramonesy.

We also did a Hunx cover, for the lulz, which I look forward to singing in an overly camp voice.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I had a jam with my main man today, we wrote a few new tracks, they're REALLY ramonesy.

We also did a Hunx cover, for the lulz, which I look forward to singing in an overly camp voice.

That's what I like to hear. Record that shit.
I wish there was a Christian punk music blog I could go to SO HARD. Nothing I love more than this kind of junk. I'd feel the same as I did when I found out that unblack metal was actually a real thing and not just an internet joke.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by axeslash
I wish there was a Christian punk music blog I could go to SO HARD. Nothing I love more than this kind of junk. I'd feel the same as I did when I found out that unblack metal was actually a real thing and not just an internet joke.

Wow, it only took 11 posts before someone had something to say that was on topic!

I'll try to find some blogs and add them to the first post. Also I think I'll add a couple of majorish bands I forgot about.
Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ at May 4, 2011,
Quote by neidnarb11890
I like that song "Jesus" by The Velvet Underground. That's sorta Christian, and sorta punk, right?

I like that song "Jesus Christ" by P.S. Eliot. That's almost sorta Christian.
We had a Christian punk band from here, they were called Trow. They pretty much sucked. People still ask me sometimes if I played drums for them. Guess I look like him.

I do not know any real christian punk bands, do not care.
Quote by gopherthegreat
Beautiful :')
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
Thanks man you are alright by me.

Also godarko is in Spanish I didn't know that people still called that some kind of gibberish.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
A band that was on Punkcore records (i think?) was called The Havoc. They had a strong Motorhead influence mixed with Hardcore and preached the benifits of religion (and negativity within the punk scene) very good band.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by due 07
I like that song "Jesus Christ" by P.S. Eliot. That's almost sorta Christian.

This thread would be much better as a P.S. Eliot thread.

Also, my favorite Christian Punk band is ICP.
Christian punk is just a term to describe the music these posers put out where they sing soft lyrics over punk riffs. Just like Christian rock is soft lyrics over rock riffs. There's no such thing as a follower of Jesus who is actually willing to "stick it" to the establishment with his music. Hence there is no such thing as a follower of Jesus that plays ACTUAL rock n roll/punk. FWIW, I am a "born-again" so I've had plenty of exposure to this poser music
Quote by junglej25
Christian punk is just a term to describe the music these posers put out where they sing soft lyrics over punk riffs. Just like Christian rock is soft lyrics over rock riffs. There's no such thing as a follower of Jesus who is actually willing to "stick it" to the establishment with his music. Hence there is no such thing as a follower of Jesus that plays ACTUAL rock n roll/punk. FWIW, I am a "born-again" so I've had plenty of exposure to this poser music

I don't think you listened to any of the suggested bands, bro.
Like MXPX?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by junglej25

Every Day Life. Look them up. If there's ever been a Christian band that "stuck it" to the establishment, them.
Not enough mwY in this thread.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I am against the "Christian" label. Bands just use that as a way to make more money by selling albums to Christians who feel they are not supposed to listen to "secular" music. If you want to sing about God go ahead, that is your choice. But for God's sake (and I mean that literally) you don't have to call yourself a Christian band.

Trouble are a good example of what should be. They never tried being a Christian band, they just wrote about what they believe, whether it be religious based (as they are known for) or about other things such as war (like on "Bastards Will Pay"). I have seen them labeled as Christian at times but that was never their intention.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
I personally believe the best "Christian" bands were the ones who only took up the label to find a niche to play in.

Plenty of bands who were great couldn't find anywhere to fit in and faded into obscurity, so when someone doesn't slip through the cracks it's fine by me.
Since it hasn't been said enough I will have to say it.

If you are Christian you are stupid and you should be marginalized in society. Belief in a God proves that you are incapable of making rational decisions on your own and coming to conclusions based on logic and fact.

Go back to church you whiny bastards and quit pollutin' mah internets.
^ Personally I hate Christians but love God. Kinda weird isn't it?
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by axeslash
Since it hasn't been said enough I will have to say it.

If you are Christian you are stupid and you should be marginalized in society. Belief in a God proves that you are incapable of making rational decisions on your own and coming to conclusions based on logic and fact.

Go back to church you whiny bastards and quit pollutin' mah internets.

Since your brain is capable of fathoming all the mysteries of the universe I think we should worship you.
I'd be down with worshiping axeslash.

"Shipping" has an extra P but "worshiping" doesn't. Crazy English language.
Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ at May 25, 2011,
Quote by junglej25
Since your brain is capable of fathoming all the mysteries of the universe I think we should worship you.
I worship Russel's teapot.
Quote by junglej25
That's not a bad idea you would sure learn more useful knowledge like mathematics and physics if you listened to what I have to say. Just because your so-called God has all the knowledge in the universe doesn't mean I need all the knowledge in the universe to disprove him. You'd learn so much from me!
As it stands now, Axeslash is about a million times less vengeful than the Christian god. He looks to be our best bet.
Quote by due 07
As it stands now, Axeslash is about a million times less vengeful than the Christian god. He looks to be our best bet.

But he's mean.
Quote by axeslash
That's not a bad idea you would sure learn more useful knowledge like mathematics and physics if you listened to what I have to say. Just because your so-called God has all the knowledge in the universe doesn't mean I need all the knowledge in the universe to disprove him. You'd learn so much from me!

The reality is that most of the time people aren't filled with the animosity you display toward God and believers without seeing or experiencing a very deep hurt directly or indirectly. Something terrible that God let happen to you, a friend, or the world in general. Something that maybe made it seem to you that God fell asleep at the wheel. It might've even happened in a church, a place often times filled with horrible evil. The question of why God allows evil is a tough, age old question. All that Christians believe is that God is in the process of reconciling a broken world to himself through his son Jesus.
Page 1 of 3