Page 1 of 2
there really is one answer to this question: no!
both actives and passives have their pros and cons, in the end it's your decision what you like the most.
What?
are they better? no.

why? because it's subjective, and "better" doesn't really exist when you're talking about different things. some people like actives better, some people like passives better. answer the question, 'which do you like better for playing metal?' and you have your answer.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
No.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
lol what is really the dif between them (i dunno what is an active pickup or a passive) can some 1 tell me?
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
what u mean with crunch?
I use both, and I prefer active, I think they give you more crunch.

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
Quote by gutu
what u mean with crunch?

I use a tube amp, and I feel that the distortion is pushed more with the active pick ups, leading to more oomph.
somehow i get what u just said xD

Quote by gutu
somehow i get what u just said xD

Woo lol, sorry for not being that technical.
to answer your question, in a simple way, an active pickup has a higher output, and a more compressed sound. this is because there is a preamp in the circuit. so basically with an active pickup you should get a heavier distortion, and richer harmonics. but the downside to them is it doesnt matter what guitar you put them in it makes them all sound the same. passive pickups give a much better representation of your guitars tone.

for a more detailed answer just type active VS passive pickups in google and there should be a more in depth comparison.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Nice! so if i have a crappy guitar i should buy an active one right?

and have a question i hear alot when about pickups "high output" what do you mean with that (sorry for the newbies questions)

Quote by gutu
Nice! so if i have a crappy guitar i should buy an active one right?

Ehhnn lol, it all depends dude. Like what amp do you have?
a rolland cube 30x

roland* sorry

i have a yamaha pacifica 112v and a squier affinity, i play most pearl jam, guns'n roses, and that type of rock.

Quote by gutu
i have a yamaha pacifica 112v and a squier affinity, i play most pearl jam, guns'n roses, and that type of rock.

Okay, well I would say try and get a Peavey Vypry, trust me on this, you can get so much out of it. For guitar I would say maybe invest in a Epiphone.
:O thanks man

you mean vypyr or really vypry?

Quote by gutu
and have a question i hear alot when about pickups "high output" what do you mean with that (sorry for the newbies questions)

Pickups have output power which in turns provides a voicing for the amp to use when played. Usually higher output is used for guitarist that want to push there amp hard or get a thick distortion/overdriven sound when playing instead of a cleaner sound.

This doesn't apply to all pickups as some sound better clean than lower output pickups which are designed more for a clean slightly overdriven tone, not to say low output is bad. All this needs to be tested with gear you intend to purchase down the line and what you actually want to hear from your guitar in terms of tones. Metal guitarist usually want to have a thick and heavily pushed tone so high output pickups like the EMG's and Seymour Duncan Blackouts tend to be their choice.
Do not invest in epiphone they are crap. Even your pacifica is better than most epiphones in the same price range. Go for lower end Jackson or Ibanez, and as for playing metal, try guitars out that have passive pickups as well as actives and see which you like best
Pickups have output power which in turns provides a voicing for the amp to use when played. Usually higher output is used for guitarist that want to push there amp hard or get a thick distortion/overdriven sound when playing instead of a cleaner sound.

This doesn't apply to all pickups as some sound better clean than lower output pickups which are designed more for a clean slightly overdriven tone, not to say low output is bad. All this needs to be tested with gear you intend to purchase down the line and what you actually want to hear from your guitar in terms of tones. Metal guitarist usually want to have a thick and heavily pushed tone so high output pickups like the EMG's and Seymour Duncan Blackouts tend to be their choice.

Thanks man

In my honest opinion for you i'd look at purchasing an Orange Tiny Terror as it is just the soun d your after without pushing the band and been too loud for home use. As well makes for a great live amp. Guitar wise, go for something with maybe a H-H or S-H pickup configuration. Stay away from jackson unless you want metal sort of tones.
I'd say that for modern metal tones go for actives - nearly every modern metal band uses emgs or duncan blackouts. those that don't are in the minority, but if you want to play old skl metal, get passives, mid-high output pickups like the duncan JB/distortion or dimarzio super distortion or tone zone
Honestly you shouldn't be changing your pickups at all if you're not looking for a particular change of direction in your sound. Save your money and upgrade the amp, it will do a lot more for your tone etc.
lol i ask should i put some news pickups on my guitar and change the tuners or just buy a new guitar (if i modded i would mod my both guitars) but i was looking for a new guitar so haven't decided i'm getting about 800$ i was wondering if i should get more money and buy better or pick another guitar... i saw a dinky dk2s dunno if i should go for that one

Quote by Stretch_Wilson
In my honest opinion for you i'd look at purchasing an Orange Tiny Terror as it is just the soun d your after without pushing the band and been too loud for home use. As well makes for a great live amp. Guitar wise, go for something with maybe a H-H or S-H pickup configuration. Stay away from jackson unless you want metal sort of tones.

But with that Peavey I mentioned he has so much variety, from rock, blues and metal. Say he wants to expand, instead of getting a new amp, he just changes the channel.
Quote by gutu
lol i ask should i put some news pickups on my guitar and change the tuners or just buy a new guitar (if i modded i would mod my both guitars) but i was looking for a new guitar so haven't decided i'm getting about 800$ i was wondering if i should get more money and buy better or pick another guitar... i saw a dinky dk2s dunno if i should go for that one

I say yes, I am a sucker for Jacksons. I have a Jackson Dinky and love it.
Quote by gutu

You should invest in putting seymour duncan JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck. extremely complimenting set and i have them in my ESP Eclipse which sounds so smooth but has a very thick distorted sound through my ENGL Screamer.

They are very versitile pickups compared to the EMG's or Seymour Duncan Blackouts.

seriously invest in upgrading parts of your guitar as i have an expensive guitar i do not feel like playing to keep it in good nick. buy dimarzio strap locks and pickups. save the rest for a Tiny Terror
Quote by Shreddinkevin
But with that Peavey I mentioned he has so much variety, from rock, blues and metal. Say he wants to expand, instead of getting a new amp, he just changes the channel.

Have you played a Tiny Terror, one of the most versitile tube amps and it is lunchbox size, cannot go wrong there. The Peavey Vypyr is good but it isn't the best modelling amp around, the line 6 amps are amazing compared to them. As well if you buy a Orange TT you can match it to any cabinet to get a dark sound for metal or a more sutle mid range cabinet for everything else.
my only problem is that 3 guitars is too much i have two and i dunno wich one i should play xD
(i know i shouldn't have bhought the second) so i might just modify both and my amp is gonna die sonner or later on the other day it started to smell like smoke so if it blows i'll buy one xD

thank you all guys

Quote by CemetaryGates90
to answer your question, in a simple way, an active pickup has a higher output, and a more compressed sound. this is because there is a preamp in the circuit. so basically with an active pickup you should get a heavier distortion, and richer harmonics. but the downside to them is it doesnt matter what guitar you put them in it makes them all sound the same. passive pickups give a much better representation of your guitars tone.

What do you mean by that? If you are meaning a tone, then I beg to differ, clearly KK Downing does not sound like Adam D, and James Hetfield does not sound like Alexi Laiho.
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Okay, thank you all. I'm thinking of getting a Dean VMNT which has active pickups, I have a Crafter Convoy FM at the moment which I hate. I have a Line 6 Spider 3, I can get a pretty good sound out of it, but it just doesn't sound metal enough, I'm looking for something like a Megadeth tone, so is the Dean VMNT a good choice?
VMNT's are apparently good guitars, you should ask Spartan101400 about his, he could tell you about them better than I can. You should invest on a new amp as soon as you can, that will help a lot too.
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Last edited by lefthandedkid at May 2, 2011,
Page 1 of 2