Page 1 of 3
I'm just wondering why I see so much loathing for more "metal" looking guitars that are usually pointy on here? I understand there is a fair amount of personal preference in buying a guitar, but it seems like that some shapes don't get the time of day. Does this also apply to explorer shapes (even gentler ones like the Explorer and the LTD EX/FX)?

Also I understand if you're showing up at the Mellow Day's Smooth Jazz Festival with a warlock you would look a tad out of place and I grasp that there is a place for everything (though you never know a BC Rich might be a lean mean Jazz machine in the right hands). I am talking about just the general hate toward more pointy shapes I see on here. Is this just a general case of preference or do people just not like them much?

As a side note I listen to black metal and for obvious reasons the pointier items are fairly appropriate to me, but I just see a lot of hate for the shapes in general.
Well the thing is, like you actually mentioned, the pointier shapes don't fit every style. You can technically play everything on them, just like on any other guitar, but it's like playing metal and dressing up as a pop fan, it just doesn't fit.
i like trains.......... (sure you do too right?)
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
i haven't got what u said can u post a pic of the guitar ur talking about?

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.

+1

+1 on ur +1....

dont worry man its just because not many people appreciate the...finer art of heavy, death and black metal and pointy instruments are just well suited for that. i got a red warlock and i dare say i might like it more than my v lol
i wouldn't say the EX/FX series of ESP LTD are gentler ones...
although i like them better than say a jackson kelly because it stays close to the original idea (gibson explorer).

the pointy things are just plain ugly a la BC Rich, Dean Razorback and so on. also the fact that society thinks of metal as black/doom etc metal with screaming and all that shit while metal originally is ozzy osbourne, black sabbath, iron maiden.
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.

in the end however it's everybody his/her personal piece of pie. you might think of stratocasters and les pauls as ugly. you just cant be buddy's with everyone.
your first mistake is caring about what others like. this world would suck if everyone had the same tastes. so just go with what you like and never follow.
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
:OOOOOOO

i wouldn't say the EX/FX series of ESP LTD are gentler ones...
although i like them better than say a jackson kelly because it stays close to the original idea (gibson explorer).

the pointy things are just plain ugly a la BC Rich, Dean Razorback and so on. also the fact that society thinks of metal as black/doom etc metal with screaming and all that shit while metal originally is ozzy osbourne, black sabbath, iron maiden.
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.

in the end however it's everybody his/her personal piece of pie. you might think of stratocasters and les pauls as ugly. you just cant be buddy's with everyone.

you couldn't have said better

your first mistake is caring about what others like. this world would suck if everyone had the same tastes. so just go with what you like and never follow.

agree too

I was asking to find out if it was that people think they aren't good looking or if it was a shape, weight and playability issue. I know a larger guitar will most likely weigh more then a standard strat. So it seems to be more preference about looks rather then something else that can be gleaned from the different shape/contours. Also for the record I don't like the Razorback and think Dean is just cashing in on Dimebag's name and this wouldn't be at that level of output if he was still alive (and I like dean guitars).

Also even some of the musicians in the metal community use traditional looking instruiments, I know Peter Tagtarten uses an eclipse and Nocturno Culto uses and SG. I was just curious about this.
Because They Killed Ma Baby!!!!!!!
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
I find most BC Rich guitars horrid to look at. I do love me some Rhoads V shapes and Explorers though. I guess it's because I think the BC Rich style guitars just try too hard to be 'metal' while the others are just interesting body shapes that could still be used for other kinds of music while not being too ridiculous.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
I have to say I am a pointy guitar hater. I like the classic shapes. There are some exceptions though. Play what you like and like what you play. Who cares what others think.
Pointy guitars predate metal or even hard rock. Several of the great electric bluesmen played Vs and shapes that evolved from them. Just saying.

As to the hatin': I like the way they look...up to a point (some makers simply try too hard, IMHO).

But I'll never buy one.

I don't find them comfortable to play. In addition, they seem overpriced to me- due to simple economics, the subset of metal guitarists who MUST have a pointy guitar keeps their price elevated as compared to similarly equipped non-pointy guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
They seem to be primarily made for people who prefer aesthetics over quality.
Last edited by Steve635z at May 2, 2011,
I like the ESP Explorers, and I absolutely love the RR shape. But Warlocks and Razorbacks and that kind of stuff are just awful.
I have no sig
aside from aesthetic reasons, in my experience, I don't like the way metal guitars play. their neck is like a piece of paper - way too thin for me.
I like explorer shapes, flying Vs, and Dean MLs. I'm a bit iffy with the razorbacks.
I do not like those BC rich warlocks.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I've owned two pointy guitars over the years and I've ended up selling them after only a few months (peavey vortex and bc rich warlock). For whatever reason, the les paul shape and general strat shape seem to fit most styles and I'm a generalist with a slight bent towards 80's metal. I usually go for the super-strat guitars like jackson's dinky or esp kirk hammet guitars...
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I love pointy guitars, which is why it's a shame most of them are poor quality.

Honestly, I a lot of BC Riches looks awesome (not the Warlocks though...) Which is why I wish they were a more reputable company and made some high end models outside the custom shop.

Well then, you're in luck.
They make a **** ton of high quality instruments outside the CS. Try going to their website sometime.
It's a shame they haven't shaken the "post-1990 pre-2008" misconceptions people have about them.
My favourate is Explorer style. It's kinda my alternative to the Les Paul because Explorers are usually mahogany and are big-bodied and quite heavy, so they sound similar to Les Pauls. I love where the controls are placed as well. Everything is quick to get to, but nothing obscures my picking hand whatsoever. They are perfectly balanced and are as comfortable as strats.

EDIT:Les Pauls aren't my thing at all. The body shape looks like a big brown blob, they just don't have any sex appeal to me. The only thing i like is their tone. Les Pauls are WAAAY too common as well.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 2, 2011,
Quote by gutu
agree too

Why do you feel the need to double post in every thread you in post in? There's an edit button you know.

Pointy guitars aren't my thing, I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to guitar shapes, I like guitars that look classy.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Steve635z

+1

I don't like metal past sludge metal ala electric wizard. If what I've gathered from countless threads on the matter here, is that all these guitars are either cheap to appeal to the teen metal lovers, or expensive models for the artists who these kids listen too.

In my opinion though, they are gimicky, stereotypes of a genre. Any guitar can play metal, now you're just "poking" it in our faces that you're brootal

A sg can be anything from country to all out metal and always fits it does got some points
Oh it's not that I don't like pointy guitars.. it's the douchebags who don't realize they're essentially stage props that I find annoying.
Quote by BobDetroit
Oh it's not that I don't like pointy guitars.. it's the douchebags who don't realize they're essentially stage props that I find annoying.

this, to a certain extent.

i personally find the shapes uncomfortable for the most part, the exception being the explorer, and the dean ML (of all things!) but i'd still rather play a more traditionally shaped guitar because they tend to balance a lot better and feel a bit less cumbersome.

but thinking about it... who am i to talk about balance? i play SGs
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Actually I kind of have a problem with pointy guitars, and probably with most metal guitars... I just think that most of the time, the whole "I'm brootal" look is very cliché. And the Razorback or the warlock are probably two of the ugliest guitars I've ever seen.

A classy/retro guitar is just so much better, but that's just personnal preference .

BTW I think explorers and Vs are fine, as long as they're not too exagerated.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
My love for "extreme-shaped" guitars stops with the Explorer and the V. I'm not a huge fan of the ridiculously pointy guitars.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Most people that dis pointy guitars are just afraid. Afraid they will poke an eye out. They are insecure and clumsy so they channel their fear of losing an eye into a dislike for pointy guitars.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I suppose the same could be said for weapons that are designed to look like a guitar. I doubt there would be much love for them.

Gene Simmons has a huge battle axe that looks like a bass guitar, so it has been done before.
Last edited by thehikingdude at May 2, 2011,
Quote by Steve635z

which is ironic cos theyre fugly
Iunno, honestly, I don't get why everyone likes plain black, pickguardless Superstrats either, and I've always thought Parker Flys and those odd-shaped basses with the one huge fin(they're called Geckos on Warmoth but I've seen just about every brand but Fender and Gibson make them under different names and I don't know where the shape came from) are hideous, yet I love Gibson-style and King Vs, Explorers, Xiph...i?(what's a Xiphos plural?), Warlocks, Mockingbirds and all that jazz. I like the angular stuff, I just don't like the crazy "gothic" stuff like BC Rich Beasts and Dracos or "Let's take a Strat and brutally dismember it" guitars like ESP F-series, and I've never been one for full hollowbodies, but I do think Gibson ES-style semihollows are sexy(Alex Lifeson, I'll leave it at that).

As for feel, I honestly prefer a V, an ML, anything with that little bottom cutaway for playing sitting down, I play classical-style sitting down and find it hard to play that way with most guitars like LPs, Strats and SGs for some reason, and I don't like smaller bodies either. Oh, and I find BC Rich Dracos completely impossible to play. How the hell do you play a V that has a bottom cutaway so small it doesn't fit over your legs? D=

But...yeah. And...ESP Horizon IIIs are not an exotic shape to me to be completely honest, it's a sliiiightly modified Strat. o_o
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I think the problem is more to do with players than the guitars themselves.

Some beginners who like metal will inevitably gravitate towards pointier models. As they don't know much about good quality parts or reputable brands, they just want buy the cheapest metal-looking guitar they can find. If they post a thread about it, people will generally recommend more conservative-looking but better quality guitars. This gives the impression that everyone is generally against pointy guitars. But it's not about pointiness, it's about quality.

Also, it seems like metal is very polarising, especially on UG. Most people either worship it or think all of it is garbage. There aren't many middle-of-the-road opinions on metal around here.
Personally, I prefer super strat shapes like ESP Horizons, Ibanez S, and a few Rg's, but I also have a slight taste for the Jackson RR24 and Explorer shaped guitars. I'm not really a fan of any other shapes besides those, such as star shaped, or x shaped, or any of the more adventurous looking B.C Richs.

I think it just has to do with the fact that some people just don't like the way they look (metal seems to be a bit of an acquired taste, imo). There's also a bit of a stigma attached to non-traditional shaped guitars too it seems since B.C Rich and Dean make cheap pointy guitars that many beginner buy.
basically people don't like it when you play something that could gouge your eyes out. i think this all comes back to elements of design, line in particular. zigzags normally suggest sporadic feelings, generally excitement and anger. smooth lines suggest otherwise.

it all comes down to how people interpret the shape, but usually it follows the above rules.
They're uncomfortable (besides an explorer), they look like crap (besides and explorer) and I don't like them (besides an explorer)... but that's just my 2 cents...
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Page 1 of 3