Before anyone jumps down my throat for a thread this general, I have some specifics. I've been playing for about two years, so I'm getting past the "noob" phase and I really need something better than what I got. I have a good acoustic that's perfectly all right for me right now. However, my original Epiphone Les Paul just isn't cutting it anymore, and I feel like an ass playing my dad's Gibson LP all the time cause its so vintage and stuff. So, I figure it is DEFINITELY time to upgrade.

My budget is about $700 for this one. I was initially looking for the following when it comes to features:
- Separate volume knob for each pickup
- 24 fret neck
- Preferably some sort of tremolo system (not floyd rose or locking)
- Probably double cutaway, but I'm not entirely opposed to something else
- I have to be able to play it and like it before I buy it
- I need humbuckers man, so at least one in the bridge position

I'm honestly open to any suggestions, I'll try them out. I'm just looking for it to satisfy as many of the above requirements as possible. Currently, my top option is a PRS Se Custom 24:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-SE-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar-H70029-i1697793.gc

But, I don't know for sure. Any suggestions? Because it is definitely gotten to the point where I need to upgrade.
steal ur dad's les paul.
it's cheaper and better.
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
I was going to mention the PRS Custom 24 SE...and you just did. Great bang for the bucks, one of my friends bought it a year ago and was satisfied 100%. Great tone, good building quality, and the guitar scale (25" for PRS) is similar to a LP (24.75"), so no problems for you here. He had to move from an Ibanez RG fast neck to this thicker PRS neck and he had no problems. The tremolo keeps the tuning, the guitar is well balanced and the upper frets access is nice.

If you can, try and see the Sterling John Petrucci models, their specs are great and have a larger scale (25.5") for easier fretting in upper frets. The only downer for this is the look. (PRS and LP are much better)

EDIT: no individual volume controls for the pick ups on both guitars, sorry
AGEGBand
Guitar / Bass / Keyboard / Back Vocals

Sterling JP50, Fender CP Jazzmaster, Danelectro Danoblaster 12 strings, Aria 5102T, Epiphone LP STD 7 string => Carvin V3M

Peavey Cirrus BXP-5 => Trace Elliot GP7SM250

Korg X50
Last edited by Anthoje at May 2, 2011,
if you can live with 22 frets and no trem then take a look at the PRS SE 245 as it has sepreate tone and volume for each pick up also it's a 24.5" scale so it's the same as your Epi. Also it has the bird inlays... which are sexy
Guitars

Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Fender MiM Strat

Amps

Vox VT40+
Marshall MG15CDR

Quote by LeakyFlask
I know how it feels dude, none of my pickguards have guitars.

Thanks for the replys guys. It's really leaning me towards the Custom 24 even further. I've looked at the John Petrucci models, but I'm unsure as of now, as the only one of his budget versions I saw in person had a warped neck. And I'd like to like an Ibanez, but pretty every single one I've seen in my price range has a really s****y neck. No, I'm not stealing my dad's Les Paul, but I am trying to find the SE 245 on Guitar Center's site right now, but I don't think its giving me the right guitar: http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-SE-One-Korina-Electric-Guitar-423589-i1516805.gc
a wizard neck is not sh!tty by any means, just my 2 cents. and the PRS looks nice
Os Abysmi Vel Daath
No thats not it. I don't think they have it on the site

It's here:
http://www.prsguitars.com/se245/
Guitars

Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Fender MiM Strat

Amps

Vox VT40+
Marshall MG15CDR

Quote by LeakyFlask
I know how it feels dude, none of my pickguards have guitars.

The neck on an Ibanez is just thin and made for people who prefer that, but if you are used to a les paul the yeh its a world of difference. I'd say go for the PRS they are always worth their weight in gold.
Thanks for the link, I still think I prefer the SE Custom 24 though. And when I said Ibanez necks were s****y, I was talking specifically Ibanezes in my price range. And I'm not talking about the thin neck, I'm talking about how most every single mid to low end Ibanez I've ever played has a neck that has frets sticking out, plays like crap, is warped, or something else to be a huge turn off for me.