Page 1 of 2
Hey all.
I wondered what are your favorite pentatonic scale add ons.
Mine is the diminished 4th.
For the non theoritic people you can say like the first note a half step above.
Harmonic minor > Pentatonic
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by liampje
non theoritic people

I just googled this and got lots of pictures of noodles.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Your***
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
The tritone!
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I just googled this and got lots of pictures of noodles.

if you did google it

then don't click here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=non+theoritic+people
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
Quote by sashki
Start with minor pentatonic, move the 3rd up a half step

I beat you to it
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

lmfao nice

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
Quote by fearofthemark
I beat you to it

lol que

I'm not very good with theory, but there are no tritones in my modified scale.
I meant something like this:
   D
-|------------------------------
-|-------------7-8-7--------------
-|---------5-7-------5/7--------
-|-----5-7-------------------
-|-5-9----------------------
-|---------------------------

EDIT: I meant the third as in the interval, not the third note in the scale.
Last edited by sashki at May 2, 2011,
this thread makes me remember that i dunno anything about music i only play guitar @_@

Quote by gutu
this thread makes me remember that i dunno anything about music i only play guitar @_@

who gives a shit what the name of the thing is if the thing sounds good!!
Quote by sashki
lol que

D

No tritones? F sharp to C?

T
Quote by sashki
lol que

D

ahh

I thought you meant

D
-|-------------------------------
-|------5-6-7------------------
-|-5-8------------------------
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

who gives a shit what the name of the thing is if the thing sounds good!!

lol tottally agree i bet most of these guys that play scales can't play the solo of sweet child o' mine (or can they? i dunno read the small letter on my signature.... it explains all)

Quote by gutu
lol tottally agree i bet most of these guys that play scales can't play the solo of sweet child o' mine (or can they? i dunno read the small letter on my signature.... it explains all)

I can't play the whole Solo of Sweet Child O'Mine because i no wanna

when i started playing i skipped straight to the riffs of the songs i liked and solos after 2 months or something turned out okay i guess...
Quote by gutu

If you know theory, you know WHY the notes are the way they are in sweet child of mine. It's like the difference between solving a math problem by following a formula on a piece of paper or solving it and understanding the concepts behind it as well.

sweet child of mine sucks, by the way.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

eh lol nice one dude

i know that man u haven't got what i meant to say, is that most of the people here they have just googled some scales or all they know is to play scales and not exactly how to work with them... i'm trying to find some books 'cause i learned lots of scales but i didn't got the point of it....

lol it sucks bc u don't like it xD

Quote by fearofthemark

If you know theory, you know WHY the notes are the way they are in sweet child of mine. It's like the difference between solving a math problem by following a formula on a piece of paper or solving it and understanding the concepts behind it as well.

sweet child of mine sucks, by the way.

Of course you're right
but i just learned by doing what i considered to be fun while trying to pick up any useful information and guidance i could gather from what was at hand (and still am actually), so i personally wouldn't say that there is a WRONG way of learning...

unless there really IS a wrong way of learning and you can tell me what the right way is
The augmented fourth, or the diminished fifth, depending on your outlook on life.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Quote by gutu
i know that man u haven't got what i meant to say, is that most of the people here they have just googled some scales or all they know is to play scales and not exactly how to work with them...

how do you know what most people here have done?

i'm trying to find some books 'cause i learned lots of scales but i didn't got the point of it....

If you wanna learn theory REALLY quickly, you should take up piano. that really shows you what a scale is because the notes are arranged in a line. Chords actually make sense on piano, terms such as "Dominant seventh" or "tritone" are completely intuitive. Guitar sucks for theory.

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by Crofty89
The augmented fourth, or the diminished fifth, depending on your outlook on life.

Bill Bailey.
Quote by fearofthemark
If you wanna learn theory REALLY quickly, you should take up piano. that really shows you what a scale is because the notes are arranged in a line. Chords actually make sense on piano, terms such as "Dominant seventh" or "tritone" are completely intuitive. Guitar sucks for theory.

I played piano before taking up guitar (i had lessons and i couldn't stand it ), although it has taken me some time to start associating the KEYboard with the FRETboard...i know the names of notes and everything but i suppose i lack in APPLIED theory
Quote by Basti95
I played piano before taking up guitar (i had lessons and i couldn't stand it ), although it has taken me some time to start associating the KEYboard with the FRETboard...i know the names of notes and everything but i suppose i lack in APPLIED theory

but aren't chords so much easier to understand on piano? It's not just "put your fingers in this shape and that's an F chord, this one is an F minor" but you know what note makes it a minor and why. Slash chords are easier too, and so are inversions.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
but aren't chords so much easier to understand on piano? It's not just "put your fingers in this shape and that's an F chord, this one is an F minor" but you know what note makes it a minor and why. Slash chords are easier too, and so are inversions.

I never learned actual chords on piano, as far as I remember (a part from the fact that in Italy it's Do, Re, Mi...instead of C, D, E...but that's no biggie).
On the guitar it's a question of playing what sounds good to me, and learning from all my inevitable mistakes in order to paint a picture of what i should be doing.
I dunno having taught myself, the guitar is just much more natural to me than the piano ever was, in a way it feels like they're 2 entirely different worlds of music
Quote by Primus2112
Natural minor > Pentatonic

Fix'd

On the rare occasion that I actually use the minor pentatonic, I don't do anything to it.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Page 1 of 2