i just recently became fascinated with wanting to play bass guitar, unfortunately out of the years ive been playing ive never really actually tried playing a bass guitar, so ive been thinking of a couple ideas to transfer from guitar to bass without losing any of my playing ability or having to "re learn" techniques for the bass.

one idea is just to get a 6 string bass and tune it accordingly to a standard 6 string guitar. i figured it would be a nice way to read my fret board and it would basically just be a scaled up version of what i am used to.

so i guess my question is would that be a good idea? and any other tips on the transfer would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by crustyreed
jan 08ers quit posting threads to establish how core you are. nobody has heard of these 'ramnomes' you speak of.
But a standard 4 string bass guitar has the same tuning as the lowest 4 strings of a guitar, what you dscribed won't really have much impact crossing over.
just try a 4 string, those 4 strings are the same as the lower 4 on the guitar

the hardest thing for me was the difference in string gauge and the spacing, not so much finding notes

more than anything, it just takes getting used to, i wouldnt go crazy trying to make it just like a guitar
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Boss Drive Zone Dual Distortion Pedal
Dunlap Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
Boss Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Delay
Marshall MG15MSII Micro Stack
well it'll be very hard to find a six string tuned like a guitar and if you use a regular one it might be a little weird at the nut putting an e string in place of a b. I really dont think the amount of strings is the challenging part of switching it is the string spacing and the thickness. If you want to play with a pick that would be the greatest help as you would already have more speed and dexterity than trying to play with your fingers.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
I study bass at music college, but I started on guitar. If I were you I would just get a normal 4 string bass. It's just the bottom 4 strings of what you're used to so it's not that much of a mind shift.

The problems you'll encounter on bass are more to do with the different techniques and the different position you occupy within the band, rather than the note position. For example the bass takes more strength than the guitar, you'll need to learn to play with your fingers (for most styles), you'll also need to get used to the fact that you're now a rhythm instrument and not so much in the foreground (which can take some getting used to).

None of the problems I just mentioned would be avoided by buying a six string bass (some of them would get worse). So if I were you, I'd just buy a normal 4 string bass. Good luck with it though, if you see it through you'll get way more gigs!
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
i wanted six strings because mainly for scale patterns. if i tuned a 6 string just like how a normal guitar would be then doing scales would be easier. i could play full scales with a 4 string, but it seems much easier to do it the 6 string way.
Quote by crustyreed
jan 08ers quit posting threads to establish how core you are. nobody has heard of these 'ramnomes' you speak of.
imho...you are already way ahead of most people who pick up the bass for the first time. as our dear friends have already stated, a 4 string bass has the same tuning as the lowest 4 strings of a guitar, so your fretwork shouldn't be much of a problem. i actually started on bass before moving to guitar, so i kinda know where you're coming from. however, playing bass is not like playing guitar...for many reasons. you may find yourself developing a different technique and style playing bass. your guitar style/technique may not translate well to bass. but what do i know...
If you're going to approach bass like it's guitar, I don't know if you'll get that much out of it. If you can't replicate those scales on a regular tuned 6 string bass, I don't understand how less strings would be an issue. It sounds like you'd be better off tuning your guitar down or something.
Quote by Iommianity
If you're going to approach bass like it's guitar, I don't know if you'll get that much out of it. If you can't replicate those scales on a regular tuned 6 string bass, I don't understand how less strings would be an issue. It sounds like you'd be better off tuning your guitar down or something.

well a guitar is only going to go so low. and the percentage of bass players to guitar player is significantly diferent. i figured using my guitar knowledge on the bass would be a good idea.
Quote by crustyreed
Do you want to be a bassist, or do you want to just play a big guitar an octave down?

Your fretboard knowledge and to some extent your fretting technique will cross over, but you'll have to get used to bigger stretches, a longer neck, thicker strings, and an all around heavier instrument.

There's also a different mindset that comes with the territory. Bass is primarily a rhythm instrument (not to get into an argument over the "role" of any instrument), and you'll have to adjust to keeping the groove and locking in with the drummer.

Another thing to consider (if you're looking at a 6 string) is the sheer width of the neck. I highly suggest you try a few if you're even considering an ERB. There's nothing wrong with learning on a 6-er, but you may find jumping from a guitar neck directly to a 6 string bass a bit of an uncomfortable stretch. Go to a store and try out 4, 5, and 6 string basses and find out what you're comfortable with.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Im an ex-guitarist too and i would recommend you a 4 string mate. You cant play bass in that way you can but it will look funny.

Bass isnt a easy instrument like everyone thinks. Main role is "rhythm" but even that is hard.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bugera Fire Wall Half Stack
^
OP, the bass is generally regarded as the easiest instrument to pick up and play... but it's also regarded as the hardest to master.

If I were you I would treat it as a completely different instrument and come to it with the mindset that you know nothing about it. Because well it is a different instrument and right now you are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to being a bassist.

Treating it like an oversized guitar, is only going to hurt you in the long run!!!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Please don't try to play a 6-string bass like a guitar, if that's what you're intending. Joe Perry's a guitar god and been doing the 6 string bass thing for decades and even he's not all that great at it. At least start off with a regular 4-string. Or, to be honest, give a baritone 6-string guitar a try. That might be what you want really.