Basically a friend of a friends parents just got his little 10-year-old brother an electric guitar and amp, because he wants to start the electric guitar obviously.

However, they have got him a high-end Cort (that was apparently upwards of a thousand pounds) and "the biggest of the Roland Cube range", an 80-watt amplifier...

Now, spending that much on a guitar for a ten year old is bad enough, not knowing whether he's actually going to take it seriously, then spending that much on a guitar for someone who's hands are tiny (yes I have seen the video of the "guitar prodigy" blues kid ), then spending that much when he's likely to decide he wants a different style of guitar, then getting him an 80-watt amp (mine's 30 and I literally cannot turn it up beyond half way without going deaf in my room, and it has a power-knob (lol) on the back so I can put the wattage all the way down and play quietly)... just.. why?

Does this make you rage? What do you think of parents spending so much on a kids first guitar? What do you think of spending that much on a first guitar at any age?

I know there'll be some who really don't care but I'm sure they'll be some who'll rage

And inb4 cool blog bro
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
So long as the kid has good taste in music, respects his instrument, and sticks with it, i wish him all the best.
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
ts is mad his family is poor and dont love him as much as his friends family loves their son.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Their money, their problem.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Is the kid's family into classical instruments, like do they own violins or similar instruments?
Quote by KingHenrik1967
So long as the kid has good taste in music, respects his instrument, and sticks with it, i wish him all the best.

i pretty much agree with this
Os Abysmi Vel Daath
Quote by KingHenrik1967

what he said.
I'm really really indifferent as this doesn't affect/effect (I hate those words) me in any way.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I've got to question the same thing Joel does, my friend is a violinist and his brother's first guitar was a Les Paul with a Fender Blues. Together the set up was cheaper than his first Violin.

But really, what does it matter? Some of us are fortunate enough to start out with really nice equipment, some aren't. It's not about the equipment, it's about how you use it (yeah, yeah, it's been said 1000 times but it's true). To be fair, 80 watts is a little overkill but you can't really expect his parents to know about wattage and power handling and the "bigger isn't necessarily better" condition.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by KingHenrik1967

^What he said.

I didn't know $1600 Corts existed.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
All we can do is hope the kid likes it, or I recieve the equipment when he quits
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
don't really care except for the kid probably gonna die from ear bleeding with that amp
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Good for him. When I bought my Esp, learning new stuff was so much more exciting. Nothing wrong with starting up with some good gear so you can sound good right away.
yeah its natural to want to be jealous or angry or whatever but the way I see it is that if I had a kid who wanted to play guitar and money was not a massive worry in my life, I would rather put the 10 year old on some good gear and give him the best possible chance of getting into it.
If they wanna spend that much, why do you care? Yeah, they're risking him giving it up, but so what? It's their cash; they can do what they want with it.
This has no effect on my, yours or any of our lives. I call that kid a jammy little git. Why do you care?
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by So-Cal
TS is jelly.

He REAL jelly.
Quote by Ville Valo
Hurting Linde is like hurting Bambi. You just can't do it.

You should click on those, I think.

I like My Little Pony. Come at me, bro.
The most expensive guitar I own is a £100 Dean. The other two are probably just shy of that, and my acoustic cost me £50. Amp? Marshall 15w.
The guitars that I want to get, are wanted because they look and play nice not because they cost over a grand. This sorta thing bugs me a bit, but at the end of the day...you seem pathetic for caring. Just be proud of what you have. You don't need to spend thousands to sound good if you're a good musician.
The only thing that's actually made me mad was my friend who's mother bought her a ltd edition Gibson robot (the red one, whatever that was) for £2,500 just because she liked the look of it. She doesn't play guitar, and it wasn't even a bday present or anything
Quote by the_white_bunny
ts is mad his family is poor and dont love him as much as his friends family loves their son.

I knew this was coming

And tbh I wouldn't want my parents spending that much on a guitar for me

Quote by Baby Joel
Is the kid's family into classical instruments, like do they own violins or similar instruments?

Not as far as I know

And just to clarify: I have absolutely nothing against the kid, I also wish him the best and hope he sticks with it, it's his parents for potentially wasting a lot of money and getting him an 80 watt amp which I don't like

EDIT: And I AM proud of what I have, I f***in' LOVE my guitar, just because I'm mad at this doesn't make me jealous or anything k?

EDIT 2: And two other things, his parents couldn't even give him a little extra cash when he came on holiday with us (he's my sisters bf) when he was broke, and his family sound like they're usually really careful with cash
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

Last edited by archerygenious at May 2, 2011,
Quote by mikeyknowsbetter
he will spill his drink on it, bet you lot any money

I really hope he doesn't

I don't care. Why should I? It's their loss, lol. The gear he got isn't even anything I'd particularly want. 80 watt cube? No thanks. If he had gotten an ENGL invader and a Blackmachine maybe I would have cared.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at May 2, 2011,