I just started out with recording but since I am a guitarist I don't really have a bass laying around and was thinking of buying a cheap one just to have one on hands.

I think most of you are also guitar players so I am quite curious what kind of basses you guys use?
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
The Squire basses are deceptively awesome. I have a cheapy Squire Affinity Jazz bass and I love it. Drop the action a little, and you'll see what I mean.
I'm also a (mainly) guitar player, and for most of the things I record where I don't use one of the real bassists I know (and his/her bass), I've got squier p-bass with a set of SD pickups in it

it's a super cheap bass, but the upgraded pickups are good and I set it up really nice, so it's all I really need
i play a custom 4 string Fender Squire Jazz Bass. it's custom because i replaced the stock pickups with Basslines pickups and replaced the stock bridge with a Leo Quan Bad Ass III bridge. That being said, i think most people record the bass direct into the board, and then tweek the sound to get what they are looking for, effectively negating the actual sound of the instument. just my opinion...
Right now I'm using some no name brand P-Bass copy and it's working totally fine. This summer I'm going to upgrade to a Squire J-bazz.
I either use my roomates really nice LTD 5 string or a cheap sucky 4 string but to be honest with DI the main difference is the 4 string is a bit noiesy but I usually have distorted bass or just EQ it out
So it wouldn't really matter if I bought on of those cheap ass harley Benton basses?
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
When I first started diddling around on bass, I bought a secondhand Squier Bronco. It sounds pretty good, and has a short, guitar-like scale. Made learning a lot easier. Eventually, though, I wanted something "better" so I got a Thunderbird IV. I love it.
I've seen those Harley Benton basses recommended numerous times on various forums to people looking to get real bass on their records. With fresh strings and solid processing, a cheapo bass will do more than enough to fill up the low end.
a cheap bass will sound as good as a cheap guitar will. if you're happy with that cheap sound, get a cheap bass. no amount of processing will make a cheap bass sound like a great one. you might be able to get it to decent, but not great.

as far as low end basses go, I've been impressed with most from Ibanez. I've heard great things about squires, but i haven't been too wowed by the ones i tried out.
Quote by sandyman323
a cheap bass will sound as good as a cheap guitar will.

I'd disagree. Its not about how good or cheap your equipment is, its how you use it.

I personally am just using a cheap Squier Jazz Bass. Its perfect for what I use it for (a lot of Punk rock, cheap shitty basses FTW).
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I am playing (pop)punk too so thanks for the advice.
Would you go for a Jazz or Precision bass?
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant