I want a marshall and I play mostly metal, but I've read that marshalls are more classic rock amps. Can they do 80's metal including Metallica without distortion pedals? If so, any recommendations? If marshall doesn't fit the bill, I'll likely get a peavey 6505, but I really prefer a marshall for purely superficial reasons, lol. Anyway, ty in advance for any advice
Marshall mg

marshall jvm 410h
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
for metal, either the jvm series or the kerry king signature, but for metal id rather go for the 6505.

Quote by deepsal
Marshall mg

Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Marshalls can do Metal, the 8 and 900s are great Metal amps when they're cranked up good and loud.
jvm 205h, jvm 410h, jcm 900, jcm 800k, Slash afd. And I've heard people boost the jcm 2000 tsl, but you have to boost it alot. I like the Jvm's alot.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Get a marshal based amp. I like splawns. They are basically hot rodded marshals. But if you want it for superficial reasons:

Get a JCM 800
Get a tubescreamer
Boost JCM with tubescreamer
???
Profit
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
JCM800 models were used for metal in the '80s a lot. You just had to boost the hell out of them. The Kerry King signature 800 is a model that is purpose-made for thrash metal. Many used models are floating around ebay and craigslist, some of which have been modified for use as metal amps specifically.

The JCM900 and JCM2000 models also do metal fine, though they neither nail '80s tones, nor do they excel at modern metal tones. They're more in-between, sort of a modern rock tone for the most part. The 900SLX and 2000TSL are probably the heaviest sounding ones. This forum seems to dislike the TSL a lot, but I think they're pretty cool amps. The SLX is even nicer.

The JVM is also worth a shot. It's made for versatility, but I never had the chance to try one (just listened to others playing them), so I'll shut my cake hole about them.
Quote by Tom 1.0
JCM800KK

\m/ \m/

+ a million ^^

Best Marshall metal tone to date imo. Check out the youtube
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness