I was just wondering whether it would be good for many different sounds because the styles of music I play change a lot. Versatility would be a primary concern for me because of this so I would be wondering if it would be worth the money?
Quote by TheRampantWhale
I was just wondering whether it would be good for many different sounds because the styles of music I play change a lot. Versatility would be a primary concern for me because of this so I would be wondering if it would be worth the money?

if it goes for that price, it's def. the best choice ever!!
they go for around 1000 euro here -.-

GET THAT SH!T!!!!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
If I remember correctly the III has more gain than the II which has plenty enough.
It should be versatile enough in terms of gain from cleans, crunch and lead tones but it is going to have its own voicing, and I wouldnt expect it to sound like modern high gain amps for your lead tones.

That said it would sound brilliant for anything, but if your looking for deathcore 7 string palm muted chugga then look away.

It has a shared EQ, you'd use the 'volume' to control input gain for both channels, then adjust the 'master' for the clean volume, and lead drive/lead master for lead volumes.
Then setting the EQ for both channels together and then tweaking the graphic EQ for either your lead or clean which you can then footswitch in when changing channels.

Great amp though, check the used value and judge what you'd pay for it and give it a go
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
its going to go for at least 800 mate....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If it would sound good for anything except extreme metal I'm in, . I was planning on getting this anyway because I know they go for over £1000 new here. I just wondered if it would have enough gain for early thrash/heavy metal such as Maiden, Judas Priest and Megadeth with it being an older amp but it's got to be better than a spider 15w.

With my non-existent knowledge of amps I was wondering what the dial does in the third picture. "CAUTION" doesn't look too encouraging.

EDIT: Even if I get outbidded there's no harm in trying, right?
Last edited by TheRampantWhale at May 2, 2011,
er the mk5 is about £2.3k new..

Really I dont think the MK3 would have enough gain for you, but hey....

I would get a 2nd hand Rectifier, they go for similar money.

Again I am telling you... That MK3 is going to go for upwards of £800

no just wait till there is only 4 secs to go.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Perfect amount of gain for those tones, you get a great voicing for that too if you use an M curve with the mids, bass and treble central(ish/to taste) for the leads on the GEQ rather than a scooped V curve. Using that with my studio pre is the best setting I've found so far, sod scooping and boosting bass to hell.

Also it looks like a voltage switcher for different countries voltages, no big deal, good feature though.

I looked through ebay and the only rectifiers are around £500.

I never expected to get one under £500 anyway but I saw it for £150 I wondered if I could get it. I see where you going though, the ones with 20 hours and stuff are at £600-£800.

I might put a bid in anyway because I have over £350 lying around.
Last edited by TheRampantWhale at May 2, 2011,
Yeah may aswell give it a shot. Rectifiers normally go for over £1000 the ones I've seen though I haven't looked at many, 2 channel recti's being the ones I have eyed.

If your really after that kind of tone then probably best just waiting till you have some more money for something of the likes.

Otherwise for that kind of money and gain range your looking at Marshall JCM's and such

I doubt you'll get it for 350 pounds. In the US it's very rare to see them sell for less than 750, but I've seen them on my craigslist for sometimes $500.

Save up some, 500 pounds is still a great price for a Recto.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If it doesn't have enough gain I have a double muff that I can use to boost it but I'm going to give it a go anyway because of the price. I played a JCM in a guitar shop before and heard good reviews but they're all closer to £500 preowned.
over 6 days of bidding it could shoot up closer to a thousand like its actually worth, but hey its worth a shot, thats a great deal on a great amp
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
yeah, no harm trying, never know.. I've won a bidding on an amp (albeit AVT Marshall) at first bid because noone else bidded haha, doubtful on that though but since its a combo people might not have as much interest, if they have that kind of money for that kind of amp you'd normally have nice cabs and sought the head/rack versions.

I've seen JCM's go for very little, around £250 before for some old 800's (not enough gain though really) and some JVM heads for around £500. Theres always other options

Problem. My parents are kicking off because they paid all of £80 for my 15w Spider and it's "a good amp". I wouldn't mind if they knew what they were talking about but I'm the only one in my family who knows anything about music and instruments.

[pissedoff.jpg]

AND it's my money.
did you tell them that getting it for 150 is like buying a high end sports car for the price of a cheap coupe? If anything, tell em that you can get it for 150 and easily turn it for several hundred.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
I told them it would usually be over £1000 and it was a bargain but they said I have a good enough amp, which annoyed me because they said it was a waste of money to get another amp, as if it could compare to a Mesa.
Are people forgetting that its a bidding, not a buy it now..?

Chances are its gonna go for a good few hundred, you just MIGHT be able to get lucky if you blow all your money on it.

Just dont be overly forceful with your parents, the Spider is a practise amp, NOT a giggable amp at all.
Let them know its a good investment any way you look at it, its the sound your after and its your money, you'll need it if you want to start a band or play live.
Beside its heritage man, these kind of amps are going on vintage you could say haha, classic stuff

Quote by GS LEAD 5
*opens the ebay link*
What.
The.
****?

Mesa Mark III for 150 pounds??????

I scent a scam. Or a troll.
Those things are worth a grand. Easy.

That reminds me, I've never heard of a purple stripe before.

A purple stripe is the first in line of the revisions on the original mark iii's. Basically it was a reshaping of the tone circuit in R2. They lowered the gain a bit and evened out the volume. They had 3 other stripes after the purple which where of various revisions. Before moving on to the mark IV.

And its not really a scam. I list things on fleabag quite a bit with a low starting price. The market and bidders usually will dictate what it sells for. To put it bluntly I've never lost money.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Last edited by boxcarmonument at May 2, 2011,
Quote by boxcarmonument
A purple stripe is the first in line of the revisions on the original mark iii's. Basically it was a reshaping of the tone circuit in R2. They lowered the gain a bit and evened out the volume. They had 3 other stripes after the purple which where of various revisions. Before moving on to the mark IV.

And its not really a scam. I list things on fleabag quite a bit with a low starting price. The market and bidders usually will dictate what it sells for. To put it bluntly I've never lost money.

Theres purple, green, blue and ...?
Look, TS not to piss on your parade.

It wont go for anything less than £800.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'd say toms about right i've seen some mark iiis for around 600 but they where pretty much steals and more beaten up then that one there.

Plus n00b pickup only ebayers.
Cheers Angus...

but erm, I know how much I bid on it

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
......yeah.

Sorry TS.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Theres purple, green, blue and ...?

Original mark III= black stripe or no stripe
1st revision is a purple stripe
2nd revision is a red stripe
3rd revision is a blue stripe
4th and final revision is a green stripe.

For a complete explanation of the stripes and what was done for each revision click here>> http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Last edited by boxcarmonument at May 3, 2011,