Hiya.

I've come to a stage where it is time to evaluate my own playing. So, lately I have been practicing a lot on my economy/alternate/sweep-picking, and now it has come to bending. I am self-taught, so I have not bothered to put too much time into bending and vibrato, which I regret now, of course.

So, I've noticed that a lot of my bends are a bit off, and so I have steered away from songs involving a lot of bends. And now I feel it is time to start perfecting it. I seem to struggle with the whole "bend - hit next fret" thing, as I've never been very good at the learning by ear part either. So, are there any other ways of practicing bends? Or should I just try a little harder on the "bend - fret" thing(I have put a lot of time into this now, but I am getting nowhere, so I need some help)?

Thank you.
Current Guitar: Gibson SG Special Faded
it's just a matter of getting used to it (everywhere on the fretboard), and actively listening to yourself to make sure you're in pitch. if you get bored of bending exercises (never tried or heard of them, but probably good to start with), learn solos you like to listen to, and just pay more attention to getting the bends right.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
What bend-hit-next-fret thing?

Basically this is about two things - The physical component of bending involves using the thumb over the top and a turning action of the wrist. Support the bending finger as much as possible (eg, if bending with 3, 1 and 2 should be supporting the bend as well!).

The other part is that you have to use your ears to nail the exact pitch. It's just practise if you're doing both of those things.
Quote by Freepower
What bend-hit-next-fret thing?

Basically this is about two things - The physical component of bending involves using the thumb over the top and a turning action of the wrist. Support the bending finger as much as possible (eg, if bending with 3, 1 and 2 should be supporting the bend as well!).

The other part is that you have to use your ears to nail the exact pitch. It's just practise if you're doing both of those things.

^^This

There is a Joe Satriani video of him explaining the thumb over the neck as you can see the guy doing in the link I posted. The joint to where your index finger meets your hand is going to be your fulcrom.

Here is Joe explaining it.

Edit: Spelling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNDyI5b3Fh8
Last edited by ^Gouda^ at May 2, 2011,
The exercise that I was trying to describe is basically what all of you have been saying. Ex: Hitting 10th fret and then bending on the 8th fret to match the tone of the 10th. I suppose I will just have to continue with that then. Thanks for your answers, I appreciate it.

Edit: I am aware of finger positioning and such, yes. I am just struggling with getting the notes clean and correct with bending.
Current Guitar: Gibson SG Special Faded
Last edited by mikkjell at May 2, 2011,
Quote by mikkjell
The exercise that I was trying to describe is basically what all of you have been saying. Ex: Hitting 10th fret and then bending on the 8th fret to match the tone of the 10th. I suppose I will just have to continue with that then. Thanks for your answers, I appreciate it.

Edit: I am aware of finger positioning and such, yes. I am just struggling with getting the notes clean and correct with bending.

Yup, that's pretty much what I did...the thing about bending is, it's impossible to do them without " the learning by ear part" because the only way you know you're bending correctly is by the sound it makes.

Basically if you can't play a note, then bend up to it well, you really suck at bending. Just think about it logically...if you can't even hit the pitch you want after you've just heard it, how the hell are you going to hit it without a reference?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com