Right I've finally decided I need to really get to grips with strings and such so I'm asking for your guys help on which strings/gauges etc to use...

I play a Fender Deluxe Active P Bass Special Edition...

View here: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-active-p-bass-special-chrome-red-maple/15792

My band stuff can be heard here to give you guys an idea of what sorta stuff i'll be playing.

Listen here: http://www.facebook.com/8dayslater

We've always played in "drop D" (DADG), although for our next EP we'll be playing in C#G#C#F#. So whatever it was before but an extra halfstep down.

I've always had to make do with whatever strings I could get my hands on down the local music shop but its now shut down And now looking at strings online there's just far too much choice for someone with no string knowledge such as myself.

Any help would be appreciated!
Quote by MastaBassist10
^Spoons are awesome. Not as cool as forks, but pretty cool.

Every and all strings are different. Unfortunately, the only way to find out which ones you like or dont like is to buy different brands each time and test them out for yourself.

For your situation, why not try DR DDT strings? They're made especially for drop tunings.

Also, its not just the strings that will help you, its also a full setup of your bass. Just something to keep in mind.
pinga
I'd probably use like 115 (or 120s if you go lower than C#)-50s or even 55s in that tuning. Most likely DDT's or other strings that are recommended for drop tunings and such.

What CB4rabid said, you need to do a whole setup too, probably adjust the truss rod a bit, like little more loose, check that strings are on current height. All this you can learn from the local store salesman. I've learned to setup guitars and basses properly since I worked there for like total of 12 weeks. I don't do the maintenances like a professional, but well enough to keep my guitar in a good shape and neat playing ability.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Lol, I like the choice in bass... I have the same one, and adore it! That bass with some RotoSound 77's is freaking killer... but probably not the sound your looking for.

It's all just a personal opinion... you'll just have to do some research "youtube" is a good place to start. If you ask 10 people what strings to get you're going to get 10 diffrent answers every time!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
i would say 115s are too thick, and are going to knacker the nut over time. i tune to drop d and drop Db (Csharp) on my fender p bass on 105s with absolutely no issue.

the string brand is down to personal preference really, you just have to try some and see. i recommend checking out DRs, ernie ball, rotosound as a starting point.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.