For my birthday I just recieved prosonus recording software and a usb box in which I can plug instruments into and record. The program comes with me distorted presets, but they don't get the right sound in which I would like to record. I have a Line 6 Spyder 75 and I'd like to run my effects and distortion through it and record, but I believe it is a line level source (I'm not really sure what that means) and it would do damage to the USB port and recording hardware. So my question is what hardware do I need to buy in order to record through the USB port but use my amplifier for my effects and distortion.

Thanks in advance
God Bless, Jesse
Does the spyder have an effects loop or line out. This uses the spyder as a preamp. It still has to be connected to a load(ie. speaker) though. Other than miking it I'm not aware of any other way to record it.

To be honest though, you'll get much better results recording the guitar dry and using free VST effects and amp sims. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
a Solid State amp can use the line out and doesn't require a dummy load like a tube amp.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
You aren't going to get good results plugging your amp straight into the interface. You also won't get good results micing the amp since its a shit amp to begin with. The one thing I'd recommend if you like your amp settings and all that, pick up this guy: http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Pro-Audio/Software/Effects-Plugins/POD-Farm-Plug-In.site1sku703355000000000.sku

Its made by Line 6 and will pretty much replace your amp and effects board. All you'll have to do is plug your guitar straight into your interface.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by strangedogs
a Solid State amp can use the line out and doesn't require a dummy load like a tube amp.

True, I forgot about that, it's a good habit to always make sure there is a load attached though.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.