Okay i'm looking for a guitar amp, for under 250-300 quid, 30-40 watts, and good for thrashy metal. can anyone help?

it doesn't need to have any onboard efx, or even an OD chanel, just clean, i've got my efx and i want it really to be as clean as possible.
Last edited by jamicmac5 at May 2, 2011,
Marshall DSL would be ideal. Im selling one, contact me if you are interested. It has the highest rating on the marshall thread for clean tones and IMO sounds beefier than similar priced fender amps.

Failing that Mesa do nice cleans, blackstars cleans were the only thing i could stand about them and maybe a nice fender amp.
okay i may well be interested then. but what i meant was that it sounded very nice clean, but also i could put my efx chain through it and it would sound good. will all those still be okay?
how much would you be likely to be offering for the Marshall?

thanks.
You could also go for a Bugera 1990, it's based on the JCM800 and only about £300 or so brand new.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

okay, my dad has pointed out he has an old Fender Sidekick Reverb 20, which has a 10" speaker, i thought i could put a celestion G10 Vintage into it, or maybe a G10N-40. which would be better for metal? and would it matter that they're not 20watt speakers? (one's 30w the other's 60w)
Quote by jamicmac5
okay, my dad has pointed out he has an old Fender Sidekick Reverb 20, which has a 10" speaker, i thought i could put a celestion G10 Vintage into it, or maybe a G10N-40. which would be better for metal? and would it matter that they're not 20watt speakers? (one's 30w the other's 60w)

As long as the speaker is rated at least as much as the amp then it's fine.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
okay cool. is there a section on here to ask about tone of speakers? doubt it, but i'll see what people think :P
Quote by jamicmac5
okay cool. is there a section on here to ask about tone of speakers? doubt it, but i'll see what people think :P

Either here or GB&C.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
There's a thread about speakers. There's a link to it in one of the stickys
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
sorry but a sidekick 20 is hardly a gig worthy amp. 20 watt solid state amp won't be loud enough to be heard over drums. get yourself a used Peavey Valveking and call it good.