Hello UG,

I need some advice in taking my songwriting in a different direction.Most of the songs I have written have been pretty negative.I want to write something thats a posotive hit and crowd pleasing song.Im still dealing with emotional problems from a break up in a serious relationship and thats what my music has been reflecting.Any Ideas, advice, or song topics is much appreciated.Thanks
John 5Dimebag DarrelJimi HendrixSlash Foo Fighters

I say if you're feeling it, do it. I'm in a similar place with my (ex)girlfriend and I've been writing downer after downer but it's really flowing.

If you want to write something positive, go find something to be positive about. Then you can write about it.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
What are you 17-18. I know feelings can be pretty intense at that age but you can let it go. Focus on the brighter things.

Get out and have fun, have adventure, meet new people, make new friends, stay away from a serious girlfriend for a while and have FUN. Make sure your friends are positive and it will help rub off on you, exercise daily, and eat healthy.

All those things will give you positive energy and self confidence. Then you just harness the positive energy and self confidence to make a song that expresses your new mood.

I know it might seem like a tough time right now but what are you 17-18? It's an intense time - don't waste too much of that intensity on pitiful emotions be sure to experience the good times just as intensely. Also it's a good time to learn how to heal a broken heart.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at May 3, 2011,
Breakups and tragedies often make great songs. First you can write your down-in-the-dumps song if you like, but as you recover and see the positives (and you will recover) you'll start to see the good things that happened from it. And then you can write a song about that. I Will Survive anybody?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I find a great way to boost certian emotions for writing is to read a book or watch a movie that primarily leaves people feeling that certian way. for me a great movie to put me in a good mood for happier stuff is finding nemo (it has such a happy ending that I usually end up in a good mood) and for darker things (I also pull from pixar I go weith just that one scene from toy story 3 when the main charaters accept their death, up till a few seconds before they are rescued.

but you can do it with books to read something like the hobbit for good mood things, it's pretty up beat and whimsical, then you can read the lord of the rings to go darker. I know I didn't give a huge range of things for you to choose from but anything that gives you a specific feeling helps.

also you could do some sort of charity work and then use that as inspiration for a song...

anyways I hope this helps you to write a good song!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Just as long as you didn't pull any emotions from Cars, because that movie was crap!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Watching some satirical/comical music can help a lot when you're trying to look at things in a different light. Tim Minchin can take a very serious issue and throw a major key on it and make it light-hearted and entertaining.

While you don't need to make a comedy song or anything, you can really turn the tone around on a subject and make even a break-up song relatively up-beat and catchy.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by AlanHB
Just as long as you didn't pull any emotions from Cars, because that movie was crap!

I agree it's the only pixar movie I didn't like at all, but no its pretty much finding nemo/monsters inc/ and toy story
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.