Any help in deciding whether I should get a Fender Tim Armstrong Acoustic or a Fender CD-220 SCE would be greatly appreciated. I already have an acoustic I just need it for a back up.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Entourage-Rustic-CW-QIT-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=583547

Give this guy a shot. It's a better than the Fender in my opinion, and a bit cheaper too. I just won the non electric version and I am TRULY shocked by it's quality. I left my Taylor at home for the last two weeks of college and only took the Seagull back.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Entourage-Rustic-CW-QIT-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=583547

Give this guy a shot. It's a better than the Fender in my opinion, and a bit cheaper too. I just won the non electric version and I am TRULY shocked by it's quality. I left my Taylor at home for the last two weeks of college and only took the Seagull back.

Thanks I'm going to check that guitar out.
depends on what you're looking for. the tim armstrong is a much thinner guitar than the CD-220 SCE. it's got nice thick highs but a little weak in the lows, although to my ear it definitely sounds better than the other thin body solid tops out there. i like what the solid mahogany top does for the tone, and i suspect the maple neck is one of the things that keeps it sounding very cardboardy like other slimmer solid top guitars. you can hear the laminate back and sides just a bit, but it's not bad - in fact, i enjoy the guitar, and i'm probably getting one as a beater.

the CD-220 SCE has a dread sound with its bigger, deeper body and solid spruce top. the laminate back and sides are only an exotic wood in a thin sheet that covers an unknown and cheaper tonewood like most laminates do. it has a deeper tone to match its deeper body.

if you need a cutaway or a bigger deeper dread tone, the 220 seems the way to go of the 2 you list, although there are better comparable guitars in its price range. if you're looking for something with a sexy stage look, good highs, a body that's slimmer and comfy or like the lower price, go with the tim armstrong.

btw, i'd also suggest trying a seagull entourage and the fenders and seeing which tone you prefer. overall seagull makes some nice guitars. i'm not as thrilled about the entourage dread that i'd play it instead of an all solid guitar - i prefer the mini jumbo or the seagull original s6 - but the entourage is in the same price range as the fenders.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at May 2, 2011,