What exactly are some of the more "openly accepted" amps that Marshall makes? I know the JCM800 is apparently their best model but that was released back in the 80's i believe. I'm just curious if any of the newer amps are any good. If so, post below. I dont have a budget, cause im not really on the market for a new amp, i was simply curious as to whether or not Marshall has any good newer models.

thanks.

EDIT:
After reading a few post, i suppose you could recommend me some amps that are pretty good. Just so i dont have to open up another thread

I have a Epiphone Les Paul (stock pups).

My Genres are:
blues- Like Eric Clapton mixed with a tad bit of SRV
metal- like Metallica, Pantera
classic rock- like The Eagles, Led Zeppelin etc.

I have a budget of roughly 1000$ (give or take 100$-200$).

My currently amp is a dinky little Vox Mini Night Train stack...its alright, but it lacks in some areas...

I've been looking at a few amps like the Carvin V3m, Jet City JCA22h (whenever it releases) and a few others (like Blackstar), but it seems like anytime i find one, it doesnt suit me or i get hesitant and dont buy it. Thanks again for any help.
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 2, 2011,
I'd say other than the MG, Valvestate, Haze and MA, they're mostly decent enough. Maybe not amazing, and sometimes a little expensive, but certainly not bad. However, this is UG, so there will be massive hatred.
Ya, ive been here since 2009 and for some reason, anytime Marshall is mentioned a TSUNAMI of hate is soon to follow...thats a shame too

EDIT: I completely agree with the overpriced thing as well...for some reason, in order to get a decent Marshall amp anymore you have to pay an arm and a leg for it
most people don't hate the sound of the new marshalls, but their cost is ridiculous, and there are much better amps for the price than the things marshall puts out.
The JVM is one helluva amp. They also do some reissues which, despite being over priced are rather good. The newly designed class 5 is a pretty sweet amp for what it's meant to do. I also really like their blues breaker with a new set of tubes. The Vintage Modern is pretty cool too. I don't think I would personally own one but I really enjoy my friend's.

Yeah, they still make some good stuff. I'm not a Marshall guy though, as you can see from my sig
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at May 2, 2011,
Quote by ozi223
most people don't hate the sound of the new marshalls, but their cost is ridiculous, and there are much better amps for the price than the things marshall puts out.

Like? I know there are many GOOD amps out nowadays (EX: Carvin V3m, Various Blackstar amps and several other amps), but it seems like everytime i look into an amp...theres usually some defect with it (like a solid state preamp, bad quality, bad brand history etc.)
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
Like? I know there are many GOOD amps out nowadays (EX: Carvin V3m, Various Blackstar amps and several other amps), but it seems like everytime i look into an amp...theres usually some defect with it (like a solid state preamp, bad quality, bad brand history etc.)

Orange Rocker series, though they're on the dark side. Mesa rectifiers. Actually mesa anything for that matter. There are some affordable (relatively) hand wired amps out there too. You could always do what I do and take a completely clean amp and use pedals. I can get a Marshall roar or sweet stevie overdrive depending on what I use.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
The JVM is one helluva amp. They also do some reissues which, despite being over priced are rather good. The newly designed class 5 is a pretty sweet amp for what it's meant to do. I also really like their blues breaker with a new set of tubes. The Vintage Modern is pretty cool too. I don't think I would personally own one but I really enjoy my friend's.

Yeah, they still make some good stuff. I'm not a Marshall guy though, as you can see from my sig

ya, but jeeeez the JVM is insanely priced. I played one at a Guitar Center about 4 months ago, it was good (really good actually) but theres no way i'd pay that much for it. I'd buy a Mesa over it for that cost
Quote by ozi223

In the UK, marshalls aren't massively overpriced. Ok many are a bit steep new (RIs for example), and you can often do better, but they're not dreadful. For example, say what you like about the JVM (and I'm sure many of you will), but there aren't many amps out there that have that level of versatility at that price range.
Last edited by ProgFolk12 at May 2, 2011,
Well, i guess i could buy a new amp. Just so i dont have to open up another thread, I have a Epiphone Les Paul (stock pups). My Genres are blues, metal, classic rock (like The Eagles). I have a budget of roughly 1000$ (give or take 100$-200$).

My currently amp is a dinky little Vox Mini Night Train stack...its alright, but it lacks in some areas...
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 2, 2011,
Quote by ProgFolk12
In the UK, marshall's aren't massively overpriced. Ok many are a bit steep new (RIs for example), and you can often do better, but they're not dreadful. For example, say what you like about the JVM (and I'm sure many of you will), but there aren't many amps out there that have that level of versatility at that price range.

in the USA, marshalls are pretty steep.

IDK why, they just are...atleast at the sites i go to
Generally accepted "good" recent Marshalls:

- Class 5
- Marshall Vintage Modern heads
- JCM 800-KK signature
- Yngwie Malmsteen signature
- JVM 210H

If you're willing to look into some blasts from the past, you can also check out the JCM 900 SL-X.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
in the USA, marshalls are pretty steep.

IDK why, they just are...atleast at the sites i go to

Cos they're a British company. You get cheap Mesas and Peaveys, we get cheap Marshalls and Oranges (comparably).
Stateside, Marshalls get hate because they are simply not as good as the price tag suggests. The amps are good, but not $2.5k good.

Price tags aside, there are some good new Marshalls. The JVMs are pretty sweet, the TSLs/DSLs are alright, the Vintage Modern is good. Overall they are solid amps but the pricing isn't realistic in the States.

A new JVM410H costs just about the same as a new Fryette Sig:X 100 in the US. Those are two completely different levels of quality--the Marshall doesn't even touch a Fryette yet they cost the same. That's probably where most of the "hate" comes from. Whatever a new Marshall costs, there is something better that's in the same price range in the US.
^ya, thats what i figured...even tho the sound of a Marshall is apparently signature...for the price theres almost always a better amp in the US
For $1000 you could easily nail a used JCM 800 or Vintage Modern.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^i have a feelin i'll be visiting Craigslist sometime soon, hopefully i can find some good used stuff for cheap