first off, I have a MIM with a shitty half tremolo block, and whenever i do a hammer on/pull off the note just dies so fast.

I tightened the 6 bridge screws so the bridge would be anchored and make solid contact with the body, and boom, the sustain is a big difference. But how could I do this without disabling my tremolo?
and not buying a full trem block?
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
You can try putting on some heavier string saddles, strings, and an extra spring but other than putting a bigger trem block on it then I dont think there is much you can do without blocking the trem.
Don't use volume on the maximum position, like 10. I heard that affects sustain. A better saddle could be a good option too, but I wouldn't do that unless it was necessary (if the nut had a visible crack or it just simply cracked). Also if you use 9's in E standard, they're quite light, go for 10's. If you somehow happen to use D standard, go for 11's, 10's are light in D standard
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

You get always get a sustain pedal if you're desperate.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
there are these things called e-bows I think. You can sustain forever with that.
I have 13s on my strat in Eb :3

I actually had forgotten about it, but how much does a nut affect sustain? I still have the shitty plastic one on it

And I dont really want to have to use a pedal to gain sustain

I guess I just need a better bridge in total

and the ebow isnt for tradition guitar playing
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at May 2, 2011,
On board preamp.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by SKArface McDank
first off, I have a MIM with a shitty half tremolo block, and whenever i do a hammer on/pull off the note just dies so fast.

I think that's more to do with your technique. Have you tried using lighter strings? I find it easier to play hammer ons and pull offs with lighter strings. With heavy strings, you really gotta hit the note hard.
String gauge has little to no effect on sustain. In fact if anything using really thick strings will shorten sustain. Your nut might be sapping sustain but only if it's a hollow one, the slots are cut too large for the strings or it's not fitted tightly. The neck joint might be killing your sustain a lot but there's not much you can do there but double check that the neck bolts are reasonably tight. Don't over-tighten them though of course. If the pickups are too close to the strings then that can harm the sustain an awful lot. You certainly don't want the top of any single coil pickup to be any less than 5mm from the bottom of the 6th string, 5mm is the minimum gap you should have really.

Of course the biggest problem with sustain and Strats is the vibrato. If yours has vintage bent steel saddles then replacing those with very tight fitting solid steel block saddles will help although it can also brighten the sound a bit. Fitting a bridge that simply has more mass and weight overall is a good idea. The size of the MIM bridge's block isn't so much the problem, it's more than they're usually made of zinc or a very cheap brass alloy and that blows. Solid steel is what you want. Rather than adding a spring, tightening the existing springs can help increase your sustain a bit as well as tuning stability. If you do plan to use the vibrato and not block it then it will still help to keep the 6 mounting screws as far down as you can without restricting the movement of the bridge and it is important that the arm of the bridge screws in evely and tightly. If you have an arm that wobbles about that can also shorten sustain.

Basically you want everything to be as tight, secure and heavy as possible. That's how you get good sustain.