I'm the bass player and lead singer in my band, and a couple of our songs require me to switch with the rhythm guitarist so I can sing them better. I have my bass (obviously) and an electro-acoustic guitar which I mostly use for stuff by myself.

So question: would it be possible to just get a distortion pedal for the acoustic and and then use it for the rhythm rather than buy a new guitar? Would there be any major tone problems or something? And how could I get rid of unwanted feedback when I'm playing?
It's possible but certainly not recommended, the feedback at stage volumes will be horrific and the tone will be questionable at best.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
agreed, tone would be poor. though feedback would be your biggest issue. just buy a crappy strat copy or something?
Wait, if you're switching with the rhythm player... can't you just use his gear?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
unless you have a magnetic pickup on your acoustic, I would advise you not to bother. just use the rhythm guitarists rig (he uses your bass, right?). you would get really nasty, possibly unmanageable feedback. on top of that, it just wouldn't sound good (I've heard it done well, but it involved very good electronics and a very good amp).
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Wait, if you're switching with the rhythm player... can't you just use his gear?

I could if I needed to I suppose, but I'd be more comfortable using gear I'm used to, you know? I was just wondering if it was a possibility.
I've played my acoustic through fuzz. I duct-taped a tele pickup to the soundhole securely and played it like that.
yep
^ with piezos, my big muff makes the guitar unplayable at any reasonable volume. Magnetics were fine though.
yep