Page 1 of 2
So a friend has made his very own fantasy universe for his very own roleplaying game. It has a very detailed chronology and extremely endearing characters (Who were PC's at some point, one of them my own). The setting is pretty developed, and we decided to start spreading it and playtesting it with other people.

The creator gave me green light to DM a campaign and advance the setting with caution. So I did, and now I'm developing a piece of the setting (Basically the civilization reboot for the main continent in this universe), and I'm having a bit of trouble NOT stepping on the original story's toes.

For instance, I'm trying to design a big bad, and all I can come up with are phallic references. I suck at designing big bads. When I tried to borrow a previous character as a big bad, I noticed a lot of incongruences with his background, so I had to discard him...

The richness of the setting has stumped me pit. Help?

tl;dr I need a big bad for a fantasy setting.
Dead bull with the life from the low
I'll be massive conquistador
Give me soul and show me the door
Metal heavy, soft at the core
Gimme toro, gimme some more

Steam: Mengsk
MAL
You're going to have to define a lot of this nerd jargon for us to even begin to help you.

HELP ME...HELP YOU.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
a "big bad"? you mean an antagonist?

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
If you're struggling to match the setting, how are we going to do it without knowing what the setting is?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
What the bloody hell is a big bad? Are you 5 years old TS?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

1. You'd get a much better response on a D&D or a tabletop forum. WOTC would probably be of more help.
2. Is he going to be playing in the campaign? If not, then do what you want to with it, it's not like he would notice.

I only play Star Wars Saga Edition every once in a while with a bunch of friends so I don't know too much about the entire world of tabletop games. Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

Also: For everyone wondering, a "Big Bad" is basically a final boss. It's usually a reoccurring bad guy, or the main adversary of the adventure.
Last edited by wizards? at May 2, 2011,
An easy big bad for fantasy, big dragon, or maybe even a mad god if you're feeling crazy.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Some massive guy with an axe who's catchphrase is "Can I axe you have a question?"

That was english...but I didn't understand any of it. My brain just punched itself in the nuts.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Or the shadow self always makes a good final boss.
Quote by tayroar
An easy big bad for fantasy, big dragon, or maybe even a mad god if you're feeling crazy.

if there was ever a time for the pear to be resurrected...
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator

He's referring to the final boss for a particular dungeon. Think of WoW, or even Legend of Zelda. The Big Bad is that final boss.
The mad god sounds decent. Fits the currently god-forsaken setting too. I can't link you to it because it's in spanish, and I know how much you hate anything south of mexico... So I'll be going now.

EDIT: Has the pit never ****ing visited TVtropes?

MAL
Quote by bradulator

Ganondorf, Bowser, Lich King, Deathwing, it's not really hard to understand.

Here's your big bad. Have fun.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Trowzaa
Some massive guy with an axe who's catchphrase is "Can I axe you have a question?"

I wish Rochelle would fucking axe her head, rather than her question. Most annoying catchphrase ever.

TS: how can people possibly give you ideas for a character when you've told us practically nothing about the setting? We have no idea what would be appropriate.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Actually, ANY ****ing half-serious character would do. I'd love a name too, unless you want him to end up being named "Captain Putas" or something. It's a REALLY BIG SETTING. It's everything. Even ****ing unicorns. Just make it half-serious pit, do your worst.

(Is that baron Harkonnen?)

MAL
See? I could totally envision a Templar of the Sands ghost with a serious case of OCD.

MAL
Thank God i don't understand nerd. I'd hate to be a part of.... "them"
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by Flagon
Actually, ANY ****ing half-serious character would do. I'd love a name too, unless you want him to end up being named "Captain Putas" or something. It's a REALLY BIG SETTING. It's everything. Even ****ing unicorns. Just make it half-serious pit, do your worst.

(Is that baron Harkonnen?)

Yes, it is the Baron Harkonnen, glad someone else in this world has seen Dune
Quote by :Vicious--
Thank God i don't understand nerd. I'd hate to be a part of.... "them"

You roam UG. Welcome to the club.

Spartan: I love dune. Love it. I'd love to add him somehow to the campaign, but I think I'd end up mary sue-ing him somehow. I will try though.

MAL
Quote by esther_mouse
I wish Rochelle would fucking axe her head, rather than her question. Most annoying catchphrase ever.

TS: how can people possibly give you ideas for a character when you've told us practically nothing about the setting? We have no idea what would be appropriate.

Wait, you mean there actually is a character with that catchphrase? I just picked the worst possible catchphrase I could Shows how much thought went into creating them then.

Jesus on wheels, people. I've never played a tabletop game in my life, but it's not hard to figure out what the shit this guy is spewing means.

That said, I can't help you TS. Do aliens or some shit.
Cristiano Ronaldo looking smug

I would beat the shit out of that for days
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
There's some pretty good ideas here, hahaha. I'll definitively have a dragon with an axe to grind (A dragon also refers to the big bad's champion or top liutenant, y'know, like darth vader o palpatine, etc). And then there's windextorrrr.

MAL
Make a demonic Sarah Palin.
An ultimate star that is conscious in thought and in intelligence. It has the ability to proto star and form planets, creating civilizations capable of doing its godly bidding.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelsean
An ultimate star that is conscious in thought and in intelligence. It has the ability to proto star and form planets, creating civilizations capable of doing its godly bidding.

How do the PC's kill it?

MAL
Quote by Flagon
How do the PC's kill it?

Sacrificing themselves to create a pocket universe.
Quote by Trowzaa

So... he's black?

Quote by Nelsean

He look like this?

Quote by Flagon
How do the PC's kill it?

Alliances with neighboring planets, super nova inducements, particle smashes to create black holes, harness its energy and use it againts it. How do you destroy a star?

Its on you really. I just like the idea lol.

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
He look like this?

Not exactly. Just an all star. A galaxy would Be a cool idea, but that's a big big big bad.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
The most unassuming thing possible. Preferably something familiar throughout the game.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Need more info, brah.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by UraniYum
Cristiano Ronaldo looking smug

I would beat the shit out of that for days

This. Or Busquets or Mascherano.

EDIT: On topic, I like the unassuming idea. To the extent of something like the aide who helps you out at each pokemon gym.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Last edited by mike_anderson25 at May 6, 2011,
Page 1 of 2