Okay, maybe "revolutionary" may not be the right word, but I got into the social networking game kinda late. What set facebook apart from other social networking sites such as myspace? Why did facebook become the most popular? Was it its simplicity?
Quote by sticksause
Why did facebook become the most popular?

Less scene kids/middle schoolers.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Timing. Myspace was boring, and people wanted something new.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
It was more functional than myspace I guess and more for everyone instead of teenagers.

I never had myspace, though, but that's what I've gathered from it.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Timing and simplicity. It wasn't as slow as myspace.
Check out my band Disturbed
It came along right as Myspace was losing it's (limited) appeal.

I definitely think the simplicity is a major part of it too. It's nice not to have to look at some stupid flashy profile like a lot of people had on sites like Myspace.
So much easier to use than MySpace, I don't need to have full knowledge in HTML to use Facebook, bebo was just full of chavs and too many "CN AH HV UR LUV 2DAI BBE?" comments. Plus Facebook just looks a lot neater, no stupid skins or anything. Not to mention the built in chat is a godsend, even if it does decide to spasm at times.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Facebook is more friendly. It's not a competition. On MySpace, everyone was worried about who they had on their "top friends" and how many people viewed their profiles, how many picture comments they got, etc. and it got downright unpleasant. It was also more about one-on-one interactions. you post on somebody's profile, they respond, etc. With facebook, it's more centralized, like everybody is connected to everybody else. It's not a contest, but more like an extension of real life. It can also do everything well. pictures, videos, notes, you name it. It is just more pleasurable to use than myspace.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Setting your top friends on Myspace as always a bitch for me since people always complained if they weren't in it, and picking out a "customized" profile was pretty damn stupid

I just quit using it
It has literally become to thread that sews the internet together. THAT is revolutionary.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
All they end up doing is showing you a collection of pictures of people who are ignoring you.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Yea i figured it was mainly due to simplicity. I wonder if facebook will eventually be replaced as the top social networking site. It is hard to imagine because everyone and everything seems to be on facebook.
Facebook will be around for a long time for two reasons: Convenience and functionality. It's convenient because it's easy and everyone and their mom is on it and it's functional because it delivers what you're there for; social information and interaction.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It's damn handy for organising social events.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Facebook is the membrane between normal people and THE INTERNET, which is why its so clever. People feel like experienced computer-dwellers despite not knowing the first thing
Quote by Slashestranged
"like"

How long do you reckon it'll be before you can 'like' 'likes'.
For example:

Joe Bloggs
>ad an amayzin tym at da park 2dai
>>Fred likes this.
>>>Jeff likes this.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
How long do you reckon it'll be before you can 'like' 'likes'.
For example:

Joe Bloggs
>ad an amayzin tym at da park 2dai
>>Fred likes this.
>>>Jeff likes this.

OMG.

I can't wait!
I remember bebo just before facebook got big. Either way, there both time wasting junk.

(add me on facebook)
Quote by fearofthemark
Facebook is more friendly. It's not a competition. On MySpace, everyone was worried about who they had on their "top friends" and how many people viewed their profiles, how many picture comments they got, etc. and it got downright unpleasant. It was also more about one-on-one interactions. you post on somebody's profile, they respond, etc. With facebook, it's more centralized, like everybody is connected to everybody else. It's not a contest, but more like an extension of real life. It can also do everything well. pictures, videos, notes, you name it. It is just more pleasurable to use than myspace.

I agree with all of this. I think facebook is here to stay for the foreseeable future.
this jewish guy came to do a presentation about social networking, mainly facebook, at our school the other day

while i knew a lot of the stuff he presented, some of it was just downright scary

a stranger could most likely pinpoint your city, school/work, etc etc etc just by searching you, even if youve got your profile on private

what i realy realized though, was by joining facebook, everything you release is property of facebook, public to the internet- it's not yours anymore...
I thought it was boring at first, but it's how easy you can find and use everything, find people, ect. I used to stay up all night on the chat. Good times...
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Exclusivity, then a lack of exclusivity. Basically.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by fearofthemark

I HATED the top friends thing on Myspace. It was awful, especially since I was already extremely worried about what other people thought of me in the first place. I was worried that whoever I put as my number one would think I was some weird creeper type who was obsessed with them, so I always had the top 4 or so just be bands or something. I remember how happy I was when I found the code to just hide it.
It's essentially social networking done right.

Accessible, functional, versatile and (relatively) user friendly. It's plain enough not to be aimed at any particular social group, so anyone is comfortable using it. Plus, the whole "friends" thing gives people more of a sense of security. You can regulate, to an extent, who can see and interact with your profile. I don't know if you can do that on other websites.
xanga is the troo social network
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. I think the simplicity and speed of facebook is what made it triumph over MySpace.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Honestly, it's not so much what facebook is that makes it so revolutionary, it's how well he sold it to the world I guess. He got nearly everyone in on it, and now he's almost connecting the entirety of the internet through facebook, simplifying it quite a bit.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
From personal experience, MySpace was messy, cluttered and had didn't capitalize on a good platform when it had the opportunity. Facebook is clean, neat, and (was) more exclusive. It lacked the music player of MySpace that played the first five seconds of whatver song the user wanted to play too. That was kind of a big selling point.