So,
I'm a noob guitarist and I have a fender squier strat (don't laugh :p)
I bought new strings, but then I realized that the guage was too large for the bridge and nut.

Is there a way I can fix the nut? I think I can due with the bridge, but can I sand out the nut or anything?

EDIT:
I just got my dad to sand down the nut, they fit in with no buzz...
But what's this about tighting screws in the back?
Last edited by Sullinger at May 2, 2011,
if you file the nut too low, you'll get buzz that doesnt go away.

if you raise the gauge on a trem, the bridge will lift at its ass end and need to be balanced
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I wouldn't bother and just wait for the right size gauge'd strings to arrive, way too much hassle for somebody who doesn't know what they're doing !
If you're thinking of having the nut filed by a PROFESSIONAL, consider that when you try to drop gauge size again to something smaller, it'll buzz endlessly, so be sure you want to stick with this gauge.

That said, and though it goes without saying I'm going to say it for the record -

If you have to turn to an online forum to ask how to do something that augments the function of your instrument, take it to someone who doesn't.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
If you're thinking of having the nut filed by a PROFESSIONAL, consider that when you try to drop gauge size again to something smaller, it'll buzz endlessly, so be sure you want to stick with this gauge.

That said, and though it goes without saying I'm going to say it for the record -

If you have to turn to an online forum to ask how to do something that augments the function of your instrument, take it to someone who doesn't.

wow, that's some crazy statement there.

anyway,
you can learn a lot of things by reading about them online or in a book.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by strat0blaster

good rule of thumb
it's really not hard, you just have to make sure the sandpaper/file doesnt scrape against the bottom of the slot... so youll just be widening it without making it deeper.

but yes, if theyre much thicker, then youll need to tighten the screws that hold the springs on the back of the guitar
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by kagendew
good rule of thumb

thats just nuts.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62