As my sig says I am an Eco picker but I was playing today after maybe a few weeks of not playing as much as normal and I was thinking about my picking and it isn't true eco. When I change string I always do a downstroke no matter if it is down a string or up a string. Anyone else do this?
yeh i do and its becoming a problem, the longer you leave these habits, the harder it is to shake them
I do something similar. I alternate pick everything when I'm going from low strings to high strings, but eco pick when going from high to low strings. As long as your hitting the notes cleanly and whatever then there shouldn't be a problem
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by MegadethFan18
As my sig says I am an Eco picker but I was playing today after maybe a few weeks of not playing as much as normal and I was thinking about my picking and it isn't true eco. When I change string I always do a downstroke no matter if it is down a string or up a string. Anyone else do this?

What you say doesn't sound like economy picking at all, the whole point being to take the most economic picking direction when changing strings.

Edit: Silly me, forgot to mention yes that's pretty how I pick though I'm trying to move towards proper economy picking.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Last edited by nitestick at May 2, 2011,
Try playing familiar patterns, only starting with upstrokes, just to get the hang of it. Straight economy picking will be smoother sounding and probably more efficient.

Although, having said that, if you're comfortable with it and do it without thinking, then I don't see how it's a problem.

I personally alternate pick. I never got the hang of economy picking. Can't get the notes to sound nice and even.
I don't have a problem with it and I doubt I'll try to change it. I just wondered if anyone else played like this.