Alright, so let me preface this by saying, I one of the better peopl at my school, I can play simpler songs like green day or my curse by killswitch engine, to even harder stuff like most of six by all that remains and most of like light to flies by trivium

Notice I say most on the last two...

No matter how hard a try, I just can't get difficult passages on the higher strings, not happening, AND HERE'S THE WEIRD PART: I can play them just fine on the lower strings (bottom 4)

So apparently, I can thrash out to raining blood, and ejoy some ska and some jazz, but solo territory (unless its more slow and expressive style soloing) is out of my capabilities

Thanks
Am I weird, pansy, or too heavy handed?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by Metalmaker
Alright, so let me preface this by saying, I one of the better peopl at my school, I can play simpler songs like green day or my curse by killswitch engine, to even harder stuff like most of six by all that remains and most of like light to flies by trivium

Notice I say most on the last two...

No matter how hard a try, I just can't get difficult passages on the higher strings, not happening, AND HERE'S THE WEIRD PART: I can play them just fine on the lower strings (bottom 4)

So apparently, I can thrash out to raining blood, and ejoy some ska and some jazz, but solo territory (unless its more slow and expressive style soloing) is out of my capabilities

Thanks
Am I weird, pansy, or too heavy handed?

Yeah thats happening to me. No its not cause you're a rythm only guitarist, its just that you need to practice a damn lot to gain speed and accuracy. i dont have that time.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
probably heavy handed. It doesn't take a whole lot of force to play on the high strings
practicing to much on the lower frets. the distance between frets is long than the higher part of the neck. practice alot on the higher part of the neck. had the same problem years ago.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
Yeah, I have been quite busy, also, random and unrelated, but does anyone pickholding finger on you picking hand (specifically the knub of skin by the sides of your finger nail) some times scrape the strings as you pick?

Gets annoying at times
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
You'll learn to do that in the same way you learned to solo on your lower three strings. Lots of practice, man. Anything's possible.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
This'll seem obvious but the lower strings have a significantly different thickness to them, which is why you may find it difficult to play the exact same thing on the higher strings. I used to have this problem because I wasn't interested in lead or soloing, now I'm crazy about that kinda stuff so after forcing myself to do it I eventually got used to it.

Consider it like a new technique- you've gotta practise it and make a lot of mistakes before you get good at it.

Best of luck dude, practise and you'll nail it
Quote by mark3777
probably heavy handed. It doesn't take a whole lot of force to play on the high strings

i'd say this. don't worry though. i used to be just like that, but if you practice your chops, you'll develop the right technique. it's better to learn to play rhythms first though, i feel like a lot of people who listen to metal try learning the fastest shit at first but don't learn how to play the chords and rhythm parts tightly, and they regret it.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
i thought the same thing when i started out 2 years ago.....then i learned the harmonic minor scale and EVERYTHING changed. the advice i can give you here is just, find a scale you like the sound of, learn it inside and out, then try shredding it. good one is the pentatonic in all 5 positions and just cycle it progressivley getting faster and faster
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Metalmaker
Yeah, I have been quite busy, also, random and unrelated, but does anyone pickholding finger on you picking hand (specifically the knub of skin by the sides of your finger nail) some times scrape the strings as you pick?

Gets annoying at times

You are weird and a pansy, that is why.
No I'm just kidding! But I'm weird and a pansy.

Don't think about guitar the way you are. Anyone can be rhythm and lead. I don't like how you consider lead the same as shredding. That is kind of immature.
Practice slowly, practice songs but specifically solo's. Do this over a consistent basis over the next few weeks.

Also yeah, Ive hit my skin before when using a pick.Ive hit my thumb so much its given me blisters that are BRUTAL. Just a part of playing guitar imo.
Every shredder needs a solid rhythm guitarist, just like the way every band needs a bassist. Just remember that.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Try some easy solos to get used to the feel of playing on higher frets and strings. I'd do 'Nothing Else Matters' by Metallica. It's decently high up the neck (at least I thought so when I was learning it, back then a 12-17 fret stretch was impossible :P), isn't too fast but requires a good sense of rhythm to get it right, and uses high strings.

Also try some Santana (one does not always have to play metal).
Quote by Hail
Every shredder needs a solid rhythm guitarist, just like the way every band needs a bassist. Just remember that.

Every shredder who is worth anything already is a damn good rhythm guitarist.

TS: I suspect that this:

Quote by Metalmaker
I can play simpler songs like green day or my curse by killswitch engine, to even harder stuff like most of six by all that remains and most of like light to flies by trivium

might be part of the problem in a way; you've found yourself able to learn the rhythm parts to these songs but you're tripping up when it comes to the leads and it's thrown you a bit.

Stop expecting it to work just because you can play the rhythm parts, playing the leads to these songs is a different skill set to playing the rhythms and not to put too fine a point on it but those songs are fucking hard.

Stop expecting, don't force yourself to get the speed out, just take it slow with a metronome and move at your own pace, you'll get there when you're ready to.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Every shredder who is worth anything already is a damn good rhythm guitarist.

Definetly, does the lead player stand about like a lemon when there isn't a solo or fill happening?

Also, it sounds like you are trying to take on far to complex lead pieces. Try to play some slower melodic solo's instead maybe.
"lead" doesn't automatically equate to "shred"

First and foremost a good lead guitarist listens to his backing, understands what's going on harmonically and uses that knowledge to create a melody that interacts with that backing. Speed isn't a concern, it's something that you can use if you're technically proficient enough, but it's worthless without that fundamental knowledge and understanding of wht you should actually be doing with your skills when you bust out a solo. And to understand rhythm parts, well, there's no substitute for being able to play them and play them well.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com