I just started a band yesterday and I'm on drums. We sound pretty good and we wanna do gigs. How do musicians or bands usually find gigs? What's a good gig for a metal band?
What kind of metal are you?

Also, being in a band for one day is not enough time to start thinking about gigs to be honest.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
The first thing you need to worry about is getting a new amp.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
dont go fore gigs prematurely.

otherwise -

speak to other local bands, and be like "if your putting on a show and need a support act contact me"

remember other local bands are "allies" and not "enemies" ... don't piss off other local bands or you will have less "gig support swaps" to do in the future.
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at May 2, 2011,
You want to come drum for my band, my drummer fucking sucks

Go to local venues, get in with local bands, send demos to bar/club owners, put on your own shows, look for ads looking for bands, or open mic nights.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

+1

it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

but he's a drummer. what he needs is a new drum machine so he'll be free to operate the fog machines.

TS, it's way too early to start focusing on gigs. just get down a bunch of songs and a decent demo before you play shows.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
but he's a drummer. what he needs is a new drum machine so he'll be free to operate the fog machines.

He's a drummer, so he's probably not smart enough to work a fog machine.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
All these jokes coming together.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
He's a drummer, so he's probably not smart enough to work a fog machine.

hey, if the bRoKEncYDe guy can do the fog machine and lights, this guy will be fine.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Tells some friends your band is playing in your garage on Saturday night. Also tell them you have beer.

Then, make sure someone that owns a club or a bar comes and listens. If you're any good, they'll ask you if you can come play in their bar sometime.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

That applies to me too
Don't go in headfirst and try to plays gigs whilst you're still sloppy. People remember that. Instead spend a while getting a set together, tighten it up and then blow people's minds. They remember that too.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
You started a band yesterday. You're not ready to play a gig anytime soon.

Jam lots, get some songs down, 3 and maybe a cover. THEN try to find a gig. No less then that though.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
First, you need to get in touch with your local college or high school and see if there is a "Battle of the Bands" coming up in the not too distant future.

Then, you need to wander the hallways and accidentally bump into the pretty young cheerleader type girl, then you exchange a few promising words before her tough and obnoxious bully/football player boyfriend picks you up and throws you in a locker. This will be especially embarrassing if you're 24.

For the next couple of weeks just play it cool and mingle with your own crowd, occasionally staring in the distance at your beloved and doing your best to avoid the Principal and the bully for a variety of reasons that will become clear in time.

You also need to find a nerdy/anti social but kinda hot girl once you remove her glasses to join your band, your band mates will be against it at first, but will eventually be won over when she does something unexpected in a compromising situation which hasn't happened yet.

On the night of the competition you'll hear a rumour that an A&R representative from Warner will be coming to your town for some unknown reason. As you race to your garage to tell your band mates you will be kidnapped by your arch rivals and kept in holding somewhere in a sabotage operation.

You'll escape with just moments to spare and your band mates will say "DUDE! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" and then you'll say "It's a long story, lol" before you hit the stage.

You decide to play a new song, one you have only rehearsed once, and one that you never really understood until now (be sure to tell this to your audience), you'll look your beloved in the eye and drum till your hands bleed, the A&R guy will walk through the double doors at the back and ask the nearest person "Who are these guys?" and immediately phone the record company. At the end of the set the crowd cheer and you wink at your trainer/coach/mentor/Morgan Freeman standing behind the curtains, and he'll wink back before slinging his jacket over his shoulder and casually walking out of the school, someone will ask you "What are you looking at?" and you'll be like "I was saying goodbye to..." and then you'll turn around and he's gone! You rub your eyes in disbelief and think he was a ghost or something, but there's no time for that as they're announcing the results of the competition!

In 3rd place is a band that no one remembers and has not seen or heard for the duration of your adventure, while these guys are collecting their award from the Mayor or something, the bully/jock guy will come over and grab you by the shirt and tell you that he thought he told you to stay away from whatever it was you were supposed to stay away from but didn't, then the hot cheerleader girl will come over and tell her boyfriend that he's a jerk and it's over and that she's pregnant and keeping the baby until it's 3 years old before aborting it, the bully leaves and you're about to tell her your true feelings.

"In 2nd place is....." you're not paying much attention, but you didn't come in 2nd, it was some other band that no one has really been paying any attention to. It's now down to you and your arch rivals for 1st place. You look over at the hot geeky girl you found a few weeks ago and decide you love her instead, you leave cheerleader bitch where ever it was you were speaking and tell this other chick you love her and shit. You're then announced as the winners and the Principal is fired by the board for not being "hip" enough, everyone will then get on the dance floor and boogie down until the credits.

And that, my friend, is how things work in the music industry (or the Mooz Biz as we patrons call it).
Last edited by Calibos at Jun 15, 2011,
Whenever I need to find a gig I always just go to: www.ultimate-gigs.com
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Practice a lot. My band practiced weekly for 3 hours (when we could basically) for at least 2/3 months, along with working on stuff at home. Then we started going out into the public. Get your timing right. Playing along with a song/metronome is NOTHING AT ALL like playing in a band.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Grow a handlebar mustache, find an aggressive bassist and a mediocre songwriter guitarist lead singer, practice in a dude's basement and let him manage you, go through girls, blah blah blah, change your name to Riot Band.
Quote by TailzDoll
That applies to me too

what you really need is to check the date of the previous post.
Quote by Calibos
First, you need to get in touch with your local college or high school and see if there is a "Battle of the Bands" coming up in the not too distant future.

Then, you need to wander the hallways and accidentally bump into the pretty young cheerleader type girl, then you exchange a few promising words before her tough and obnoxious bully/football player boyfriend picks you up and throws you in a locker. This will be especially embarrassing if you're 24.

For the next couple of weeks just play it cool and mingle with your own crowd, occasionally staring in the distance at your beloved and doing your best to avoid the Principal and the bully for a variety of reasons that will become clear in time.

You also need to find a nerdy/anti social but kinda hot girl once you remove her glasses to join your band, your band mates will be against it at first, but will eventually be won over when she does something unexpected in a compromising situation which hasn't happened yet.

On the night of the competition you'll hear a rumour that an A&R representative from Warner will be coming to your town for some unknown reason. As you race to your garage to tell your band mates you will be kidnapped by your arch rivals and kept in holding somewhere in a sabotage operation.

You'll escape with just moments to spare and your band mates will say "DUDE! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" and then you'll say "It's a long story, lol" before you hit the stage.

You decide to play a new song, one you have only rehearsed once, and one that you never really understood until now (be sure to tell this to your audience), you'll look your beloved in the eye and drum till your hands bleed, the A&R guy will walk through the double doors at the back and ask the nearest person "Who are these guys?" and immediately phone the record company. At the end of the set the crowd cheer and you wink at your trainer/coach/mentor/Morgan Freeman standing behind the curtains, and he'll wink back before slinging his jacket over his shoulder and casually walking out of the school, someone will ask you "What are you looking at?" and you'll be like "I was saying goodbye to..." and then you'll turn around and he's gone! You rub your eyes in disbelief and think he was a ghost or something, but there's no time for that as they're announcing the results of the competition!

In 3rd place is a band that no one remembers and has not seen or heard for the duration of your adventure, while these guys are collecting their award from the Mayor or something, the bully/jock guy will come over and grab you by the shirt and tell you that he thought he told you to stay away from whatever it was you were supposed to stay away from but didn't, then the hot cheerleader girl will come over and tell her boyfriend that he's a jerk and it's over and that she's pregnant and keeping the baby until it's 3 years old before aborting it, the bully leaves and you're about to tell her your true feelings.

"In 2nd place is....." you're not paying much attention, but you didn't come in 2nd, it was some other band that no one has really been paying any attention to. It's now down to you and your arch rivals for 1st place. You look over at the hot geeky girl you found a few weeks ago and decide you love her instead, you leave cheerleader bitch where ever it was you were speaking and tell this other chick you love her and shit. You're then announced as the winners and the Principal is fired by the board for not being "hip" enough, everyone will then get on the dance floor and boogie down until the credits.

And that, my friend, is how things work in the music industry (or the Mooz Biz as we patrons call it).