Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) has been hacked and credit cards lost

Page 1 of 2
This is not the same thing as PSN and Qriocity, this is another division of sony.

it has been hacked and credit cards have been lost.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/02/sony-woes-continue-as-soe-confirms-data-breach/

Sony is on a bad role right now.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Wasn't it you who made the other thread too? I'm not saying it's a bad thing I'm just wondering if you worked there or something.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Glad my mom canceled the card she used for my PS3...

Sony keeps falling further and further downhill...
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Wasn't it you who made the other thread too? I'm not saying it's a bad thing I'm just wondering if you worked there or something.

yeah i did, nope i just read engadget and they reported on it both times

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
@sony
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Hacking Sony TWICE? That's impressive, you really have to give these hackers credit.

lololol
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at May 2, 2011,
That's pretty ballsy

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
I don't think I ever used my card on the network which makes me feel better. They better get this handled and make sure it doesn't happen again or I will be trading my PS3 for an xbox and won't look back.
The info was all from 2007. I'm not worried...yet.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Old news. It's been hacked for about two weeks.
Main Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Flextone III
Quote by carlosyugui

is it that hard to read OP?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by carlosyugui

Holy crap!
Really?
Did you even read a thing?

Hard blow for Sony.
On a positive note, I can't wait for the "welcome back" program they are doing for Playstation users.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by mulefish
Crap. Sony again?

yep, and i wouldnt be surprised if hackers go after more sony divisions.

its quite apparent at this point that hackers are pissed at how they treated geohotz.

atleast that is what i believe is occuring.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by fearofthemark
Hacking Sony TWICE? That's impressive, you really have to give these hackers credit.

lololol

Gotta give these hackers some serious credit though, it would be insanely hard to do what they did, much less do it without accidentally slipping an identifiable piece of information somewhere.

Sucks major balls for sony though, I hope they don't go down. I love their headphones and such.
I must say that personally I've thoroughly enjoyed Sony getting slapped in the face over and over by massive hacker penises. After all, they did go and stick their penises in a hornets' nest...
Quote by gnrliesmanlies
I must say that personally I've thoroughly enjoyed Sony getting slapped in the face over and over by massive hacker penises. After all, they did go and stick their penises in a hornets' nest...

I'm sure all those people who lost their credit card info are enjoying this as much as you also.
Quote by gnrliesmanlies

What did they do?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by Masamune
I'm sure all those people who lost their credit card info are enjoying this as much as you also.

I assume so.
Getting my identity stolen is one of my favorite activities, right beneath dealing with obnoxious credit card reps.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
What did they do?

google geohotz and youll get a better understanding

but pretty much they sued a hacker

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Yer man Geohotz hacked a PS3 for some indie games, or some such rubbish.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by JimmyBanks6
google geohotz and youll get a better understanding

but pretty much they sued a hacker

And rightfully so. Your beliefs on OtherOS aside, the little punk published a security flaw for all to see.

He had no case, and clearly his lawyers thought so too with the big settlement he paid out.

I hope these hackers get nailed to the wall.
Quote by UraniYum
Yer man Geohotz hacked a PS3 for some indie games, or some such rubbish.

he rooted it and got through the encryption that sony said was impossible.
Quote by Inimical

And rightfully so. Your beliefs on OtherOS aside, the little punk published a security flaw for all to see.

He had no case, and clearly his lawyers thought so too with the big settlement he paid out.

I hope these hackers get nailed to the wall.

they didnt sue him for hacking it, they sued him because he proceeded to hack it and publish everything he did.
Hacking is common, every company deals with it, but do they sue? no.

Sony should have changed the encryption algorithm and updated with patches, but instead they chose to sue a hacker, so now the hacking community is gunning for them.

it doesnt really matter who is in the wrong, in the big picture sony practically asked for this.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

they didnt sue him for hacking it, they sued him because he proceeded to hack it and publish everything he did.

Sony should have changed the encryption algorithm and updated with patches, but instead they chose to sue a hacker, so now the hacking community is gunning for them.

it doesnt really matter who is in the wrong, in the big picture sony practically asked for this.
Since when are hackers above the law? Someone hacks and publishes exploits in your software and because it's a hacker you shouldn't sue him? **** that.

They have every right to protect their intellectual property and security. Hackers do not have the right to illegally retaliate.
Quote by Inimical
Since when are hackers above the law? Someone hacks and publishes exploits in your software and because it's a hacker you shouldn't sue him? **** that.

They have every right to protect their intellectual property and security. Hackers do not have the right to illegally retaliate.

You clealy dont understand this situation, maybe you should read more about it. Its annoying having to correct people talking about stuff they dont understand on this forum regularly.

Heres the wikipedia article you should have read before commenting
Quote by wikipedia
Towards the end of 2009, Hotz announced his efforts to hack the Sony PlayStation 3,[15] a console widely regarded as being the only fully locked and secure system of the seventh generation era. Hotz opened a blog to document his progress, and five weeks later, on January 22, 2010, he announced that he had successfully hacked the machine by enabling himself read and write access to the machine's system memory and having hypervisor level access to the machine's processor.[16][17] Hotz detailed functions that his work could allow, such as homebrew and PlayStation 2 emulation (a feature removed by Sony in newer revisions of the console to tackle production costs).[18] On January 26, 2010, Hotz released the exploit to the public. It was done on the original firmware (OFW) 3.15, then using his codes he made it into a 3.15 CFW, or Custom Firmware. It requires the OtherOS function of the machine, and consists of a Linux kernel module and gaining control of the machine's hypervisor via bus glitching.[19] Hotz wrote that "Sony may have difficulty patching the exploit". On March 28, 2010, Sony responded by announcing their intention to release a PlayStation 3 firmware update that would remove the OtherOS feature from all models,[20] a feature that was already absent on the newer Slim revisions of the machine. Hotz then announced plans of a custom firmware, similar to the custom firmware for the PlayStation Portable, to enable Linux and OtherOS support, while still retaining the features of newer firmwares.
On April 7, 2010, Hotz posted a video on the internet detailing his claimed progress with custom firmware on the machine, and showing a PlayStation 3 running with the OtherOS feature enabled on firmware 3.21. He named his custom firmware as 3.21OO, and suggested that it may also work on newer Slim models of the console. However, he didn't announce a release date for the custom firmware or mention whether he was working on the same hack for the latest firmware version of 3.41.[21] It was never released. On July 13, 2010, Hotz posted a message on his Twitter account stating that he was giving up trying to crack the PS3 any further.[22] However, on January 2, 2011, he posted the root keys of the PlayStation 3 on his website.[23] These keys were later removed from his website as a result of legal action by Sony (see below).[24] On January 6, 2011, he showed a demo of running homebrew applications on PS3 firmware 3.55 without using any jailbreak USB dongles, based on the discovery of the security exploit by the fail0verflow team.[25] On January 7, 2011, he showed off a demo video running homebrew applications on PlayStation 3 custom firmware 3.55.[26] On January 11, 2011, Sony filed an application for a temporary restraining order (TRO) against Hotz in the US District Court of Northern California.[27] The timeline of the lawsuit is continued below. On January 14, 2011, Hotz appeared in an interview on G4′s The Loop, where he explained why he jailbroke the Sony PlayStation 3.[28]

as you can see, he posted exploits, which sony can patch, he did not post libraries or any protected algorithms or code. he simply jailbroke his ps3 and installed custom firmware.

which is legal on a phone. as it is your hardware.

hypocrisy of the laws allow this on phones but not consoles. And posting exploits is very common in software as it forces companies to fix it. They sued him because of a root kit. its actually quite pathetic.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
You clealy dont understand this situation, maybe you should read more about it. Its annoying having to correct people talking about stuff they dont understand on this forum regularly.

as you can see, he posted exploits, which sony can patch, he did not post libraries or any protected algorithms or code. he simply jailbroke his ps3 and installed custom firmware.

hypocrisy of the laws allow this on phones but not consoles. And posting exploits is very common in software as it forces companies to fix it. They sued him because of a root kit. its actually quite pathetic.

He broke the law and got sued. Maybe he didn't deserve it.

Doesn't give people the right to steal people credit card details. Sounds like you're defending them.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Thanks to him pirating on the console was enabled.
Good. Sony is a shitty company that makes shitty dumb products. Time to call it quits.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Greenie_777
He broke the law and got sued. Maybe he didn't deserve it.

Doesn't give people the right to steal people credit card details. Sounds like you're defending them.

im not defending the credit card stealing hackers,

im just saying its not that unexpected that it is happening.

i dont support it, let me make that clear.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

He posted the root keys and Sony forced him to remove them. I understand what happened. He rooted their firmware, they sued him, because their EULA basically says "Don't do this."

This isn't about GeoHotz and his OtherOS BS. This is about people hacking Sony and stealing people's information as a result of his trial. I hate the laws on consoles as much as you do, but that does not justify hacking a network.

It's not unforeseeable, but how that means Sony asked for it is a little beyond me. They sued someone for breaking their EULA. How Hotz and hackers didn't see that coming is ridiculous.

Edit: I believe a company has a right to protect their software. Sony sued him, and I don't think that was right necessarily. The only reason they did was because he rooted it so completely that it would not have been as easy as a patch (like HTC does when people root their phones). Sony did it because a) he broke it so completely and b) it's straight up illegal.

Should they have seen a hack coming? Probably. Did they ask for it? No. Did GeoHotz asked to me sued? No. Should he and other hackers have seen it coming? Yes.
Last edited by Inimical at May 3, 2011,
Quote by Inimical

Edit: I believe a company has a right to protect their software. Sony sued him, and I don't think that was right necessarily. The only reason they did was because he rooted it so completely that it would not have been as easy as a patch (like HTC does when people root their phones). Sony did it because a) he broke it so completely and b) it's straight up illegal.

Should they have seen a hack coming? Probably. Did they ask for it? No. Did GeoHotz asked to me sued? No. Should he and other hackers have seen it coming? Yes.

HTC can protect their software if they really wanted to, bootlockers and locked cpu software can force a phone to only work with the actual HTC software. This would be PR suicide though.

Sony forced for the IP addresses for every single person who has seen his youtube videos and his personal website. That is absolutely ridiculous.

What it all comes down to, is that our opinions dont really matter, and no i dont support the hackers, but i think it should be legal to root your hardware if you want to.

This likely would not have happened if they didnt treat the geohotz case how they did. and that was sonys doing.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

You're the type of guy who reckons rape victims were asking for it aren't ya TS. You sicken me.
Page 1 of 2