Im having trouble trying to decide on what electric guitar to buy. I've fallen in love with the Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s tribute, which sells for around $850. Im just not sure if it is a good idea to spend that much money on a guitar when I could get a pretty nice PRS SE and a very good amp for the same price. On the other hand, the Gibson plays nicer than the Korean made PRS, looks better, and is probably better built. What do you think?
you will probably end up getting a mediocre amp at best with the leftover cash, so if you only have the $850 right now I'd be more inclined to spend it on one solid piece, otherwise you will probably end up wanting to replace the 2 cheap pieces with some nicers stuff

if you need a new amp as well just make the purchase at a later date

just my opinion though, I've always liked to try to focus on one piece at a time
I guess i should have also said that this will be my first electric guitar. Ive been playing acoustic for about 4 months now and I'm much better than I thought i was going to be this soon so I am starting to save up for an electric.
Well then i might have to settle for the les paul faded studio. Or maybe ill get lucky and find a used tribute whenever I come up with the cash.
Quote by yankeefool265
Im having trouble trying to decide on what electric guitar to buy. I've fallen in love with the Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s tribute, which sells for around $850. Im just not sure if it is a good idea to spend that much money on a guitar when I could get a pretty nice PRS SE and a very good amp for the same price. On the other hand, the Gibson plays nicer than the Korean made PRS, looks better, and is probably better built. What do you think?

You shoul play both, everyone on this site recommended the PRS SE to me, but I prefer the look of the les paul, and how it sounds, to the SE.

I think the PRS is more of a metal guitar.

Also i have heard people bitch about the weight of the les pauls, I found that strange because the one i played asnt heavy at all. I did some research and found out that some lespauls have lightening cavities inside them to reduce their weight.

The bottomline is, play both guitars, and when you've found the one you'll know it and feel it.

It also doesnt have to be the last guitar you'll ever buy. If later on you want to try the PRS, when you have the money you can buy it and add it to the collection

Definitely though, buy the guitar in person, dont buy one online, and if you can't play bring a friend to play it for you.
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
out of those 2 id prefer a lespaul faded (cherry colour is amazing btw) and replace the pickups. oh and given the chance, never cheap out on anything. save up for an amp later. until then use like guitar rig 4 or something (don't acquire it illegally though......cough)

also regardless of all of those id also take ibanez over them.
Quote by Levi79
I'd definitely take a PRS over a Gibson. Probably even if it's Korean.

But regardless, I'd take Ibanez over either one.

+1
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
the epiphone standards are great guitars too, just throwing that out there
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
if it your first guitar then that means you dont have an amp right?

any idea what you want to get? i suggest a small tube. you can get the laney cub 8 for 150 euro ($200) and i tried the 10W version which was nice

if you are set on the gibson then get the gobson although try out both (or at least try out a les paul). thing is i feel that it is more important to get the guitar that looks and feels better when sound difference is only slight.
Get the Gibson. PRS is good, but I personally don't like the Korean made ones. Also, a Studio LP was my first electric guitar, and I still haven't gotten rid of it. I LOVE that guitar.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Prepare your anus.

Quote by innertom
your big boy now

And that is how it happens.
Do you love the look, or the feel? While looks are important, the way it feels should always be top priority, over anything else when it comes to picking a guitar.

Also, the thought of paying $850 for an LP Studio makes me cringe a bit. Those guitars aren't terribly good... you're paying a lot for a Gibson, rather than an actual quality instrument. Some are good, but I've never played an entry level Gibson that was worth it's price tag.

That said, relating to my first point, if it just feels "right" in your hands, then by all means go for it. Just make sure it's absolutely what you want, and make sure you're comfortable spending that much on it.

Also remember that you can get much more bang for your buck on the used market.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Also, the thought of paying $850 for an LP Studio makes me cringe a bit.

I think it's well worth the price, but I got mine for 250.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Prepare your anus.

Quote by innertom
your big boy now

And that is how it happens.
dont get the Gibson cuz u wont have enough money for a decent amp.

Get a Fender Blacktop Strat / Tele and u'll have enough for a decent modelling amp like a roland cube 40x or vox vt40+, since u'r just starting out.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
If it is a Gibson you want buy it. There is no substitute out there if it is something you want. Want Steak a hamburger is a poor sub. Want an apple then a carrot is not even close. It all comes down to what you want.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Offworld92
I've never played an entry level Gibson that was worth it's price tag.

Entry level Gibsons can be awesome, the quality is just inconsistent. I bought one about five years ago because it was one of the best-feeling guitars I've ever played. My old guitar teacher bought the same model. Then I've played others that felt terrible.

If it feels good, I wouldn't have any concerns. Gibson can be pretty inconsistent at any level though, from what I've seen. But when you get a good one.. it's good.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
The '60s tribute guitars are just flat out awesome guitars. Probably the best value out there for a les paul... imo. Gibson releases some questionable guitars sometimes, but they knocked it out of the park with the '50s and '60s tributes..

Quote by Offworld92

Also, the thought of paying $850 for an LP Studio makes me cringe a bit. \
ie: you've never actually played the guitar in question but because it's a Gibson and it's cheap it must be bad? Gotcha. It's stuff like this that make the EG forum on UG a joke.
Last edited by al112987 at May 3, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
Do you love the look, or the feel? While looks are important, the way it feels should always be top priority, over anything else when it comes to picking a guitar.

Also, the thought of paying $850 for an LP Studio makes me cringe a bit. Those guitars aren't terribly good... you're paying a lot for a Gibson, rather than an actual quality instrument. Some are good, but I've never played an entry level Gibson that was worth it's price tag.

That said, relating to my first point, if it just feels "right" in your hands, then by all means go for it. Just make sure it's absolutely what you want, and make sure you're comfortable spending that much on it.

Also remember that you can get much more bang for your buck on the used market.

I have to say, my SG faded is the best guitar I've ever laid my hands on, and I bought it over the few standards they had at the store.
I found the Tribute 60s so appealing that I have one on backorder at musiciansfriend.com, because it just is pretty much everything I want in a guitar.
Honestly, I think it's one of the best deals on the new market.
Quote by yankeefool265
Well then i might have to settle for the les paul faded studio. Or maybe ill get lucky and find a used tribute whenever I come up with the cash.

the new faded studios with the maple tops are pretty nice for the price as well. they feel a lot better than the older mahogany top guitars imo.

also, scoring a used tribute may not be that easy. but like you said, if you get lucky sure.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
personally i think studios pae in comparison to thier 3x the price counterparts.

and i also love prs SEs. i personally would take the SE, and upgrade the bridge, tuners, and maybe pups and it will eat the gibson for breakfast.

only thing, the gibson will hold resale, the SE wont, if that matter to you. but the SE, man that would be a player. if you really like it, it doesnt matter then does it?

and metal guitar? WHAT? everything but the torero is 100% the perfect equasion of a rock guitar. i mean, sure it can play metal like a les paul can, but saying that is a guitar built for playing metal....no. nope. no sir.
Quote by ikey_
personally i think studios pae in comparison to thier 3x the price counterparts.

you mean... you're telling me that a $1000 isn't as good as a $3000? Stop the press!
With guitars, you usually get what you paid for. A 800-dollar Les Paul Studio may very well be worth the 800 dollars.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by al112987

ie: you've never actually played the guitar in question but because it's a Gibson and it's cheap it must be bad? Gotcha. It's stuff like this that make the EG forum on UG a joke.

Don't you think that's assuming a bit much? I play Gibsons whenever I have the time to. I play everything I can, whenever I can, because I don't like to spew bullshit. Low end Gibsons are for the most part bullshit for what you pay for them. Yes, the $3000+ Gibsons are ridiculously nice, and well worth their price tags. But the lower end ones just aren't.

Any guitar in that price range, let alone Gibsons, should not have silly things wrong with them like finish inconsistencies, bad fretjobs and crappy tuners. No other brands put out crap like that at that price point.

It's just fact. Sure, some of them are good. But at that price point, ALL of them should be good.

And whenever I talk about Gibson, I always say that if it feels right in your hands, go for it. I never flat out say Gibsons suck, because that's an impossible statement. But I believe that for the price, you can do much better, unless there really is nothing that fits in your hands better.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Don't you think that's assuming a bit much? I play Gibsons whenever I have the time to. I play everything I can, whenever I can, because I don't like to spew bullshit. Low end Gibsons are for the most part bullshit for what you pay for them. Yes, the $3000+ Gibsons are ridiculously nice, and well worth their price tags. But the lower end ones just aren't.
Sigh...

So... you've never actually played the guitar in question?

Right, gotcha.

Any guitar in that price range, let alone Gibsons, should not have silly things wrong with them like finish inconsistencies, bad fretjobs and crappy tuners. No other brands put out crap like that at that price point.

It's just fact. Sure, some of them are good. But at that price point, ALL of them should be good.

Rofl, yes because Gibsons are the only guitars in that $800-$1500 price range that occasionally have finish problems, bad fret jobs, poor setups, etc. Just about any guitar maker will put out guitars like that.

Actually, I'll be upfront. I'm a little bit tickled whenever I see someone complaining about the occasional finish flaw here or there on a lower end Gibson like a Studio. Name me another guitar at that price point with a nitro finish that doesn't have the occasional finishing flaw.

Quote by gregs1020
also, scoring a used tribute may not be that easy. but like you said, if you get lucky sure.
I'm actually counting down the days before the gold tops start popping up on TGP emporium for $1000.
It's not even occasional. It's like... most of them. Unless all the shops around me are actually selling B-Stocks for full price.

In my experience, the flaws in cheap Gibsons are comparible to the flaws in like $300 range guitars. Maybe finish flaws are consistent with nitro finishes. I wouldn't really know, I'm not familiar with how nitro affects the finishing process.

But that doesn't account for the poor fretjobs or cheap hardware. Off the top of my head, no LTD Deluxe (or at the very least, definitely not the old ones) will have those problems. No Ibanez Prestige will have stuff like that wrong with them.

I never said anything anywhere about poor setups. I'm not talking about how the guitar plays. Setups don't mean shit to me, you can drastically alter a setup in less than a minute.

I have not played the guitar in question yet. I will as soon as I get the chance to. Perhaps my arguments are unfounded for this particular guitar, but it still stands for everything else they're putting out.

If I judge your statements to be true, then I will accept that, and say that "hey, these guitars are a great deal". I just don't expect that to be the case, given their track record.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cheap hardware?

Let me ask you... what hardware on a Gibson les paul studio is "cheap"? ALL Gibsons with exception of the custom shop reissues use the same hardware. In fact, how is the hardware on a Gibson cheap compared to say... an LTD EC-1000?

As for bad fretwork? Yes, it happens on other guitars. I don't know much about Ibanezes. BUT, a good friend of mine recently bought an Ibanez prestige. I don't know what model it was, I don't play Ibanezes, it looks like an RG but it has a slightly carved top and a flamed maple veneer, and he sold all his other guitars to help fund it so I imagine it was probaby expensive. The guitar came with not one but TWO frets that extended an entire millimeter off the edge of the fret board... one on one side, the other on the other side. It's not a really big deal, it happens, plus, he works for guitar center, they sent it back and got a new one. No big deal, but it happens with other guitars.

And yes, a nitro finish is much more difficult to apply and manage than the poly finish that you see on similarly priced Ibanez, ESP, or even PRS guitars.
Quote by Bhaok
If it is a Gibson you want buy it. There is no substitute out there if it is something you want. Want Steak a hamburger is a poor sub. Want an apple then a carrot is not even close. It all comes down to what you want.

This. Get what your heart desires. If you're not passionate about your instrument, you're not gonna want to play it. $850 minus the price of a PRS SE isn't going to give you money for a decent amp anyway.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at May 3, 2011,
Go for the Gibson. It is better to get one really good guitar and have to save up for an amp than it is to get a mediocre amp and guitar and still want that Gibson.

2 pieces of great gear is better than a room full of crap. Choose Wisely.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by al112987
Cheap hardware?

Let me ask you... what hardware on a Gibson les paul studio is "cheap"? ALL Gibsons with exception of the custom shop reissues use the same hardware. In fact, how is the hardware on a Gibson cheap compared to say... an LTD EC-1000?

As for bad fretwork? Yes, it happens on other guitars. I don't know much about Ibanezes. BUT, a good friend of mine recently bought an Ibanez prestige. I don't know what model it was, I don't play Ibanezes, it looks like an RG but it has a slightly carved top and a flamed maple veneer, and he sold all his other guitars to help fund it so I imagine it was probaby expensive. The guitar came with not one but TWO frets that extended an entire millimeter off the edge of the fret board... one on one side, the other on the other side. It's not a really big deal, it happens, plus, he works for guitar center, they sent it back and got a new one. No big deal, but it happens with other guitars.

And yes, a nitro finish is much more difficult to apply and manage than the poly finish that you see on similarly priced Ibanez, ESP, or even PRS guitars.

BTW, The reason that happens on guitars is because sometimes the guitar is built in a different season (winter for example) and by the time the guitar is ready to be shipped and sold, the climate has changed and the wood on the fretboard actually shrinks so the frets stick out from the fretboard. This is common on a lot of lower-end guitars, but most higher-end guitars are built with measures in place to make sure this doesn't happen. Also more care is taken into fretting the guitar overall.

It can happen to any guitar, of any price and at any quality level, but it is more common on the lower end side of things.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.