Hello, I am xeonefireline. I've been having trouble with sustained notes. I don't have a sustain pedal and am not in a position to buy one any time soon. I've looked into the sustainiac pickup thing but from what I can tell you have to buy a guitar with it built it. If you can buy it and attach it to your guitar, I haven't found that yet if it exists.

Anyways, my main problem is with sustaining notes. I don't want to destroy my ears holding my guitar in front of an extremely loud amp. But from what I can tell, there isn't any other easy way of doing sustained notes.

The reason I am working on this is I want to be able to play the long high pitched sustained note in the halo 2 theme. This isn't the only reason though. After that I would just like to be able to play a sustained note for other songs, or my own in the future.

Any help would be great

Thanks,
xeonefireline
You can do any of these:

-Turn up the amp volume, or gain. In your case about your hearing, there's always earplugs.
-Heavier gauge strings can help.
-Look into onboard effect modules and specifically Compressors as they might just be what you're looking for in the sustain pickup area. This will, however, require switching around the guts of your guitar. It's not as difficult as some would have you believe, though.
-Vibrato and finger slides.
-Experiment. As silly as it sounds, different ways the guitar is held or moved towards the amp can give some results, but it's definetly not something to rely on.

Hope this helps.
Try the steve vai seymore duncan pickup thats in the old sam totman iceman.
Its got literally infinite sustain. Like forever. Seriously.
Quote by xeonefireline
Hello, I am xeonefireline. I've been having trouble with sustained notes. I don't have a sustain pedal and am not in a position to buy one any time soon. I've looked into the sustainiac pickup thing but from what I can tell you have to buy a guitar with it built it. If you can buy it and attach it to your guitar, I haven't found that yet if it exists.

Anyways, my main problem is with sustaining notes. I don't want to destroy my ears holding my guitar in front of an extremely loud amp. But from what I can tell, there isn't any other easy way of doing sustained notes.

The reason I am working on this is I want to be able to play the long high pitched sustained note in the halo 2 theme. This isn't the only reason though. After that I would just like to be able to play a sustained note for other songs, or my own in the future.

Any help would be great

Thanks,
xeonefireline

buy a Les Paul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxiIhfOirLI&NR=1
[/thread]
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Last edited by reggaebassman at May 3, 2011,
Quote by DimebagZappa
I dunno. This seems like a built in ebow.
The pickup is the only thing in the iceman.

For most of his newer "infinite sustain" moments Vai uses the sustainer, he has one built into a couple of his JEMs but none of them come with it as stock.

It is also worth noting however, that even without that gadget, Vai has incredible vibrato and general technique that allows him access to sustain that people with lesser technique just can't get.

TS: work on your technique first, then when you've taken that as far as you can go look into new gear.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.