Now that I have an Engl Gigmaster head, if I play a guitar with active pickups, will it sound way better through that than my old Traynor 30 watt SS amp?

Can I make prettier noises with active pickup guitars now?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Yes, active pups are designed to have more output specifically to drive a tube amp, although passive pickups will sound good too, it's really a matter of opinion, although actives are pretty much objectively worse than passives with a solid state.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
Last edited by master2sexy at May 2, 2011,
well the gigmaster has a ton of solid state stuff in there, as far as i'm aware...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
well the gigmaster has a ton of solid state stuff in there, as far as i'm aware...

So long as there is a tube or two directly in the signal path, it should make a difference.
if it's got clipping diodes, then I dunno.
Should be similar to running a guitar iwth actives into a boost/OD and then into amp.
Just an analogy, correct me if I'm wrong.
to be honest I personally think the idea that actives dont sound as good through solid state amps as they do in vavle amps is a real bad misconception. In my experience actives sound as good through a solid state as they do through a vavle amp it just happens vavle amps just better.

So the answer is yes they'll sound fine
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by GS LEAD 5
So long as there is a tube or two directly in the signal path, it should make a difference.
if it's got clipping diodes, then I dunno.
Should be similar to running a guitar iwth actives into a boost/OD and then into amp.
Just an analogy, correct me if I'm wrong.

no idea. But I mean one preamp tube is even fewer than the higher wattage blackstar ht series, lol.

I've heard some people say (I haven't corroborated this, I haven't seen the schematic) that the preamp tube is the phase inverter and the entire preamp is solid state.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?