Could i catch up to a friend who is playing guitar for 2 years who can play pretty d*** good?
To be honest, I don't know if your serious or not?

If you are, you should know people learn in a different rate. You shouldn't worry about how other's pick things up. Have fun.

Also, instead of wasting time posting this, you should...PRACTICE!!!
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
no i am not joking could i catch up to some one who can play pantera solos by like mid summer or end of summer
If you play smartly and make it a lifestyle until then, maybe
gotta believe you can
Quote by chudy
no i am not joking could i catch up to some one who can play pantera solos by like mid summer or end of summer

Like I said. Practice.
Your not gonna be this master guitar player overnight.

How long have you been playing?
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
not long i played for a coupl of months maybe 2 or 3 then i stoped playing for a coupl i want to start again and get good att guitar rly good
Maybe if you follow this. Justinguitar.com and are truely dedicated. Most importantly PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

Reading pantera tabs can *not will* but can make you good at playing pantera solo's. But actually learning how to play the guitar itself and lots of practice WILL make you good at doing nearly anyything you want on the guitar.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at May 2, 2011,
"I am Bill S. Preston Esquire" ..."And I'm Ted Theodor Logan..." "Together we are WYLDE STALIONS"
Since you don't have a time machine better get started practicing
sounds like you only wanna play guitar to out-do this kid and because it seems cool all of a sudden that he is...
Get yourself a teacher and learn theory as well
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
I once saw an amazing upright bass player who had only been playing 8 months, but he had dedicated his life to it. Unless you fully commit, than no, not really.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Can you spend your entire summer playing guitar eight hours a day? It worked for Zakk Wylde. My fingers stop working after about two, but some people are just built for this stuff.
yeah its all in the amount of time you put in. back when i was in school, i spent all my time playing this one game. i eventually became one of the best in Australia at it. so that gave me confidence with guitar, knowing that i could do the same if i put in the time. their was also people better than me at school. they never heard me play, but eventually i did surpass them in skill

point is, it all depends on how much time you put in. have a read of this thread and it might also help:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423285

(edit: just to clarify, i don't mean im great at guitar, i just mean the fact that i did succeed in one thing meant if i had enough dedication i could improve in the other. that is all)
Last edited by jsync at May 3, 2011,
It's not a bleedin' race...you either want to learn to play guitar or you dont, what other people have or haven't done has absolutely no influence on what you'll do or not do with the guitar so stop worrying about it.

You dont "learn to play guitar" in 2 years, you never stop learning the whole time you play the thing. So someone who's played for 2 years still has a lifetime of stuff to learn ahead of them. So there's no point worrying about "catching up"...that's like asking your parents if you'll ever be older than your big brother.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
This thread pisses me off beyond words.
You remind me of my friend. I started guitar, 6months later he started and was always in a race to get better than me. He ended up getting really expensive lessons every week trying to get better than me saying his skills will "skyrocket".
I for one never cared if he got better than me because it was never a race for me.
It's now 2 years i've been playing and i'm still a ****load better than him and nearly 100% self taught.
Why on earth would you want to get better than him?
Seriously dude i just think you're a ****ing idiot and stop treating it like a race. It's people like you that make me wonder why the **** you even pick up a guitar in the first place.
You're gonna end up making the guitar a chore instead of a hobby and eventually you'll start to hate practising. I've seen it happen.
Get a better attitude and play your instrument right.
Last edited by vayne92 at May 3, 2011,
So what you're trying to do is rush through everything really quickly so that everything you learn to play sounds hideous, then you'll get annoyed say guitar is rubbish and never play again?

Setting goals with what you want to achieve from playing is fine, but, NEVER set a time limit. It will make you rush things and end up learning habbits which could severly slow down your learning, or even prevent you playing again.