I need a good microphone for distortion. My current mic makes the distortion sound flangeyish and it's annoying the hell out of me. Is there any good mics that can take care of this problem?
Quote by jonathan92
schecter damien 7 is one monster of a guitar.

[Proud owner of a Schecter Damien 7]
for an amp? do you have an interface or are you expecting a USB mic?

an SM57 is a great mic on an amp. It's a mic you'll always find use for even if down the line you want something a little different. if you cant get an amp to sound good with one of those, you're mic isn't the problem...
Yeah for an amp. I use my laptop and some crappy usb mic to record, but it's just not getting the distortion sound I hear coming from my amp.
Quote by jonathan92

Please tell me you're not recording that Rep-Tone in your profile. It doesn't matter what you mic it with, it'll sound like shit.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by Robert353
I need a good microphone for distortion. My current mic makes the distortion sound flangeyish and it's annoying the hell out of me. Is there any good mics that can take care of this problem?

If your sound is flangeyish you have some other problem going on. How far away from the speaker is that mic? Are there any reflective surfaces near by?
Quote by suppositron
If your sound is flangeyish you have some other problem going on. How far away from the speaker is that mic? Are there any reflective surfaces near by?

No, that phasing-toilet-flushing sound happens with any shitty mic I've used, and now it doesn't happen that I'm using a semi decent one.
Quote by Robert353

A $100 SM57/I5 with a little bit of knowledge.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
The speaker is about 2 feet from the mic. And no I am using a Schecter Damien 7 as my guitar. I am using a marshall MICRO stack with a Boss metal core distortion pedal.

EDIT: fixed, using the wrong name. Not mini, Micro.
Quote by jonathan92

Last edited by Robert353 at May 3, 2011,
Quote by Robert353
The speaker is about 2 feet from the mic.

Well you want to move it a lot closer than that. The only time I'd put a mic that far back is if I had another one really close to the speaker.

Quote by Robert353
And no I am using a Schecter Damien 7 as my guitar. I am using a marshall mini stack with a Boss metal core distortion pedal.

...and as lockwolf said, that will sound like shit no matter what you mic it with (not the same amp he was talking about, but I can't imagine that setup being any better).
What's wrong with my set-up? O_o
Quote by jonathan92

Fellas. Fellas. lets not rag on his rig. if you notice he clearly said, and i quote...

Quote by Robert353
...but it's just not getting the distortion sound I hear coming from my amp.

so the problem does not lie with his guitar/amp. he wants to capture the sound that his rig is producing. let's be more helpful and respectful.

i sill say sm57 and a cheap 1 or 2 channel interface. look used.
Quote by sandyman323
he wants to capture the sound that his rig is producing. let's be more helpful and respectful.

It is constructive. With cheap amps, its hard to get something close to the sound coming out.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
ive realized when people ask simple questions on the recording forums you get less answers and more arrogant responses than anything else....people who have all there project studios for some reason think they are the shit and know everything....anyways back to Robert353's question. I suggest sm 57, audix I5, or Sennheiser e609. I personally like the audix I5 the best. Hope that helps.
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
Quote by lockwolf
It is constructive. With cheap amps, its hard to get something close to the sound coming out.

No sir. Mics don't care what amp they're put in front of. They pick up whatever sound is there.
Quote by Robert353
What's wrong with my set-up? O_o

It's an ultimate-guitar bandwagon thing, to make fun of MGs and Boss' 2 metal pedals. But it doesn't really matter, if you can get it to sound good.
Here's my little bit to add... despite the fact that TS claims he hears the sound he wants from his amp... does he really, or does he hear that sound from where he is standing when he plays/records?

Because from my experience, many amateuer recording enthusiasts will presume their 'tone' is what they hear at head height (and lots of bands do this on stage and can't understand why I ask them to boost midrange etc.) rather than getting their ears down to the level of the speaker cone and adjusting their sound from this height.

Also, as previously mentioned, a mic will not give you the phasing sound... changing mic probably only improved this because the 'semi-decent' mic has a different pick-up pattern to the others (which are presumably cheap computer mic type things, that may be more omni-directional and pickup more reflections, thus introducing phasing issues with the original sound source).

Anywaaaaaay, basically learning more about your setup and how to transfer the sound from your amp to your mic better will vastly improve your sound regardless of the quality of gear you use - I have used a Line 6 Spider II on record before (because it was the only way I could get a certain effect) and noone has ever said 'Woah, the ending to ____ sounds crappy... did you change amp?!', and in fact anyone I've asked said it adds to the feeling a lot (it's an outro to a song... can post it if anyone doubts a Spider can sound good), and I also used to record my very early stuff from before I knew anything particularly using just a £4.99 computer mic going mic line-in to my old laptop with Audacity as the 'DAW' (though I already posted an example of that aaaaages ago for someone).

Basically I'm saying that based on what you've already said (TS) I feel learning more about close-miking techniques for guitar amps (google time) will help you considerably more than buying a new mic. However, if you want to try and buy a better sound then my favourites that aren't too expensive are probably everyone elses, and would be Shure SM57/Audix i5/Sennheiser e906 (or e606 if you are on a lower budget... pretty much the same but without the filter switch).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
The thing about distortion is that it comes in different types and the recording quality may depend on the style of music you are looking for. So, with that said, what style of music are you looking to get out of your tone? Typically when I do distortion recording I really just want a wall of sound as seen in a lot of extreme black metal. Getting clarity and a nice tone will be somewhat dependent on a mic, but also on the settings you have on your amp and various other factors (such as the room). It is also typically unwise to record your amp with the settings you like when you're playing live. Generally people will advise that you turn down the gain/distortion settings, record, and see if that helps at all. It is possible that that may be a major problem you are having, especially if you are unfamiliar with recording.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Well, I don't understand whats wrong with MGs and Boss distortion pedals to be honest. I find the Boss' pedals to be really reliable and durable. The MG.... It's not the same as a real Marshall but how am I supposed to pay over 1000$ for just a head? Anyways, I will take all advice gladly and I appreciate it. I'll mess with the tone while having my ear at the cone (or w/e you call it.) I'll turn down my distortion and see if that works. If all else fails, I'll buy a new mic.
Quote by jonathan92

I'll second the idea that, if you like how it sounds in the room, then the gear is doing the job you want it to do, and you shouldn't worry about whose logo is on it.

Other than that.... Disarm+Ulalune +1.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.