Hey everyone.

I recently have been looking around for a new electric to start learning on, and an old used amp. I came across this new combo package online, but I couldn't find a whole lot about it. Only that the package had been discontinued.

From what it seems, Orange amps seem to have a great rep, but I couldn't find anything about the guitar. The package comes with the guitar, amp, gig bag, picks, strap, stand and tuner.

So the long and short of it is that I went out on a limb and got the package. We'll see how it works out. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could give me more specifics on the actual guitar. The pic isn't perfect, but the headstock says "Crush by Orange".

If nothing else, at least Ill get a decent amp out of it. Haha.
Attachments:
Untitledorange.jpg
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
I haven't seen these before but a quick Google search gets you some more information. I wouldn't expect a whole lot more out of these than any other starter pack, though I like the Crush series as practice amps.

I don't think it'd be bad, but you can probably do better at that price. Give it a shot and see how it is, for science!
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
I haven't seen these before but a quick Google search gets you some more information. I wouldn't expect a whole lot more out of these than any other starter pack, though I like the Crush series as practice amps.

I don't think it'd be bad, but you can probably do better at that price. Give it a shot and see how it is, for science!

Hah, I'll be sure to let everyone know how this mystery guitar turns out. I guess I was just hoping someone had maybe tread that ground before me?
Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be great, good amp companies don't tend to make good guitars, and vice-versa.
Usually, you'll get one decent piece of equipment out of it. I wasn't lucky enough, my DFH baby sucked balls, along with the amp.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Quote by guitarnoob_100
Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be great, good amp companies don't tend to make good guitars, and vice-versa.

*cough*Fender*cough*
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by guitarnoob_100
Usually, you'll get one decent piece of equipment out of it. I wasn't lucky enough, my DFH baby sucked balls, along with the amp.

I second this, I bought a spectrum. Buy it if you want, but be warned, or use as a pure beginner start, and upgrade later.
There are 3 possible scenarios for starterpacks:
- 1. The amp is good, the guitar sucks.
- 2. Both are decent but wouldn't stand out compared to individual guitars and amps.
- 3. The guitar is good, the amp isn't.

Yours would be scenario #1. A friend of mine had an Orange starterpack. I couldn't stand the guitar that came with it, but the amp sounded awesome.

Usually, starterpacks are good for ABSOLUTE beginners. Once you learn basic chords, upgrade the part of the pack that is low-quality.

PS. A new cable will only set you back 20 bucks and is generally worth it. The cable that came with my own starterpack crapped out after a month.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 3, 2011,
The guitar will be the cheapest of the cheap. The amp isnt that great either. Orange amps are good but not the crush solid state rubbish.

I mean the stuff will be fine to learn on but since you're being smart and researching the stuff i'd suggest you buy a guitar and amp seperately. Obviously you'll need like a lead and pics and stuff...

For guitars look into a yamaha pacifica 112

and for amps look into some form of amp modelling combo such as a vox valvetronix, roland cube (except the cube 15) or peavey vypyr these will give you access to a range of sounds early on so that when your playing develops you'll have an idea of what gear you could be looking at if you get to that points.

These are all cheap but good options to look at.

Going used on these will save more money if you dont want to lose cash and end up selling...
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 3, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
The guitar will be the cheapest of the cheap. The amp isnt that great either. Orange amps are good but not the crush solid state rubbish.

I mean the stuff will be fine to learn on but since you're being smart and researching the stuff i'd suggest you buy a guitar and amp seperately. Obviously you'll need like a lead and pics and stuff...

For guitars look into a yamaha pacifica 112

and for amps look into some form of amp modelling combo such as a vox valvetronix, roland cube (except the cube 15) or peavey vypyr these will give you access to a range of sounds early on so that when your playing develops you'll have an idea of what gear you could be looking at if you get to that points.

These are all cheap but good options to look at.

Going used on these will save more money if you dont want to lose cash and end up selling...

+1
they aren't very good guitars and they are pretty generic, cheap amps. the guitar really isn't any better than an entry level squire or yamaha.

also, Orange's good reputation is built on tube loaded monsters (Rocketverb, Thunderverb), not the crush series. those are just run of the mill practice amps, they sound nothing like a better orange.

you may want to go to a shop and see if an associate will put together a package for you. most shops will give you a bit of a discount if you buy a guitar, amp and all the fixins
Well the amp seems to be well received:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/orange/crush_10/index.html

The guitar I don't know for sure and won't until I start playing. But keep in mind I'm only looking for a practice amp and beginner electric. If I really get into electric, I'll upgrade the guitar a little later.