This is my tuner: http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/TU-80/

It doesnt tune my guitar properly (gives wrong readings) when:

1) I connect it directly to the guitar using 1 cable, without an amplifier, whether I plug it into the input or output bit. For the higher strings (e, A, G) it is fine, but for the lower strings (especially E) it is very innaccurate.

2) When I play the guitar with or without an amp using its acoustic microphone included

Am I supposed to have 2 cables - 1 going from the tuner to the amp, the other going fro the tuner to the guitar - to tune my electric guitar properly?

Thank you.
What do you mean by inaccurate? Is it saying that the bottom E string is a F or F# when it shouldn't be? If it's changing pitch like that my only guess is that you are strumming way to hard when you tune. The harder you strum the sharper the note will go. When that tension releases then it will be the real tone.

If it's just working for higher strings, why not try tuning the harmonics?
Quote by Phat Stud 55
What do you mean by inaccurate? Is it saying that the bottom E string is a F or F# when it shouldn't be? If it's changing pitch like that my only guess is that you are strumming way to hard when you tune. The harder you strum the sharper the note will go. When that tension releases then it will be the real tone.

If it's just working for higher strings, why not try tuning the harmonics?
OHHH thanks mate, I thought you should strum hard to get more noise out lol, thanks so much for that. and yes, its saying its a B at some point lol.

and yeh I could tune harmonics, but then again I want to make sure my tuner actually works
I"m sure your tuner works fine. When you tune you don't need any excess playing because you're doing just that - tuning. You may also want to check to make sure it's tuning the A at 440hz. If that setting is adjusted it could throw off your tuning too.

Best of luck to you.
While it has been resolved as your picking being the problem...
I find that when my tuner has a low battery it reacts much slower than normal.
..I was watching my death.