Hey everyone, Ive gotta LTD EX-400 and a Marshall MG250DFX. Not happy with the tone or distortion (soild state) so Im looking for either a multi effect or getting a new tube amp. Ive got $700ish to spend. I was looking at a TC Nova System, a POD HD 500, a Boss GT-10 for multi effects.I play melodic death metal and Im looking for a Scandinavian death metal sound. What would you guys suggest? Thanks a ton!!
A friend of mine has an HD 500, and though I haven't been able to try the system out myself, it gets some killer tones out of his speaker. I've got the GT 10, and you can get every tone possible out of that system. The down side of the GT 10 is that it takes a while to get the hang of it.

Perhaps you'd also like to change your amp. Peavey might be the way to go if you're checking out modelling amps.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

You can approach this from a couple of angles:

You could just buy a good amp - the approach I'd take. The GT-10 will keep you happy for quite a while as long as it's plugged into a good amp.

You could get a HD and use the MG as a power amp by plugging into the effects return. The MG power amp is uninspiring but it is useable if you stick a decent modeller in front of it and a decent cab behind it. If you are running an MG cab that will be the weakest point in the system. So - Pod HDxxx and a decent speaker cabinet.

My personal preference would be for the first option. Get a good foundation sound by buying a good valve amp then build on that with any gadgets you think you might like. You'll get used to the GT-10. All Roland gear has it's own peculiarities, once you get your brain into Roland mode you'll be fine.

Edit: Just realised .... the MG250DFX is the stereo combo abomination isn't it? Modify option two to - sell the MG, buy a decent power amp (Carvin is a good choice) and a nice cab, 2x12 or 4x12 depending on preference. Run the HDxx into that. Job done.
Still think option one is where the smart money is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 3, 2011,
Don't get the nova system. Its a fantastic pedal, but not for that style of music.

If I were you I would start with an amp. Get a good high gain tube amp combo and build up your rig from there. Just make sure it has an effects loop for when you add time based effects (for lead/solo tones) later.
Buy a new amp. Unless you absolutely need great cleans. Good amp distortion will sound better than most pedals.

I think alot of those Scandinavian bands use Krank.

You could find a used Krankenstein in that price range, but then youll need a good cab to go with it.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Yeah, start with the fundamentals. Get a good amp. Best bet is to look used at that price range.

You could pick up a new Peavey 6150 + combo in that price range depending on where you are in the world. Then add a tube-screamer down the line. In Flames used those Peaveys BTW so I'd guess it'll be able to do that genre.
thanks for all the input guys! Im pretty much decidingbetween a marshall MA100, a GT-10, or a POD HD 500. Input?
Getting a good valve amp is better than trying to emulate one... Not sure if the MA will really get you any closer to the tone you want.
To put in this forums favourite catchphrase "WHAT YOU REALLY NEED IS A NEW AMP" sell your current one to some poor soul as well as well to go towards it.

Don't bother with multifx atleast not on a budget you will get sounds passable for that genre with just a good high gain amp while sometimes in flames type stuff can have some delay and reverb on leads etc its not essential really. I wouldnt bother with it until later when your on a budget AMP FIRST.

Look into the used market for amps like a triple x or a ultra plus head. You could probably get one of these for like 400 dollars if you shop around then spend your change on a nice 2x12 cab. Good metal rigs.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 3, 2011,
Try to buy a good amp. There are a lot of offers in the market these days. I see the amp and guitars as being the meat and the effects as being the seasoning. I rather have a nice churrasco or NY steak with some salt and pepper, than some spam and rosemary and wine.

I love using food anology!
get a used 5150 2x12 combo. those can be found for around $500. then save the rest and put it towards effects or another guitar.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
the 6505+ 112 isnt that bad...i prefer the 2x12 more though. better low end, and clarity. the only issue is, the 6505 2x12 is like $1100, which is why I recommended the 5150 2x12 used. same amp, just the older version.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Its just really hard to find a 5150, especially in this town, especially used, We have two music stores. Long and Mcquade and Electron.
Quote by behemoth420
thats what I was wondering, does anyone know?

Yeah man, my post right above said it. Peavey 6505+ combo (or used 5150) + add a tube screamer later as a "clean" boost to tighten things up. Looked up In Flames, and they've used a 6506 + TS rig, as well as countless modern metal bands.

Also, replacing the combo's speaker with something like a Celestion Vintage 30 later down the line will improve it considerably and it should serve you well.

Where are you in the work BTW? A 6150+ combo is around $1.1k AUD. Should be considerably less in the US, EU and UK as shipping and taxes down here are pretty large.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at May 4, 2011,
Scandinavian Death Metal? I hate to say this but the amp of choice here might be an Ampeg VH140C or whatever the Crate equivalent is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So heres the situation, ive got about $1150 for something. My options are a new 6505+ 112 combo for $750, save up for a new 6505+ head for $1400, or a used Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 122 for $900 or a Marshall 2466 for $1200 . What would be my best option? Thanks a ton for all the help guys!
Last edited by behemoth420 at May 8, 2011,