Just a wondering if anyone here has ever brought their bass out in a public place and played whatever for like an hour or so. I was contemplating whether or not to do it next year at my university once or twice a week in hopes of making about twee fitty and maybe a friend to jam along with. Would probably play stuff I've written while throwing in some pop/slap thangs because I know thats a crowd pleaser.

So....good or bad idea?? Any awesome experiences you've had busking? Would you personally find it annoying to hear "the bass guy" play every week while walking to class??
Round about where I live there's a pretty awesome jazz bassist who just sits and improvises for hours on end, and he's great. From the looks of it he gets a lot of money too, and people aren't usually bored by him. As long as you play interesting stuff people walking past you won't get bored of you, I guess, even if they're not really into it and have to walk past you every week or w/e
I have and here's my advice

1. Check out the local ordinances. Last thing you want is to watch your cash go to paying a ticket when you get cited. And when a business owner asks you nicely to move along, its probably a good idea to move along. Enough said.

2. For solo bass stick with catchy stuff (blues/jazz/funk groves). Work up a few songs where you comp out a recognizable melody but put your own spin on it. Generally if people can dance to it, you'll attract attention and tips. You will also generally attract other musicians as well to jam along with.

3. This one I cannot stress enough. Don't play for long periods of time in less than 62 degrees. Its amazing how playing in the low 60s F. for more than 15 minutes can cramp up your hands. Not fun.

4. And listening to street musicians every day near my workplace, I would love to hear someone play bass instead of playing a really out of tune acoustic guitar.
Quote by guitar_fingers
Round about where I live there's a pretty awesome jazz bassist who just sits and improvises for hours on end, and he's great. From the looks of it he gets a lot of money too, and people aren't usually bored by him. As long as you play interesting stuff people walking past you won't get bored of you, I guess, even if they're not really into it and have to walk past you every week or w/e

*looks at location*

Is it O-jay on northumberland street?
Quote by anarkee
I have and here's my advice

1. Check out the local ordinances. Last thing you want is to watch your cash go to paying a ticket when you get cited. And when a business owner asks you nicely to move along, its probably a good idea to move along. Enough said.

2. For solo bass stick with catchy stuff (blues/jazz/funk groves). Work up a few songs where you comp out a recognizable melody but put your own spin on it. Generally if people can dance to it, you'll attract attention and tips. You will also generally attract other musicians as well to jam along with.

3. This one I cannot stress enough. Don't play for long periods of time in less than 62 degrees. Its amazing how playing in the low 60s F. for more than 15 minutes can cramp up your hands. Not fun.

4. And listening to street musicians every day near my workplace, I would love to hear someone play bass instead of playing a really out of tune acoustic guitar.

i tihnk it depends on what your used too. I would have no problem playin into the 50s but thatas just cuz it gets pretty cold around here,

also to theTS make sure what your playing is cool stuff, no one wants to watch you pup out eighths all night.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Thanks for the input, gentlemen. Yea I'll definitely check out ordinances. It will just be on campus so I think it should be fine. I mean if crazy-ass Bible people can stand on top of a little hill and tell people they're going to Hell whilst spouting white supremacy, I should be able to play bass. And no worries, I've never been a traditional bassists. I'll hit a groove easy.
Also check the local PROs rules. In Canada you have to pay for the rights to perform as a walking musician or busker, even if they are originals, it is something like $32 a day to SOCAN here up to $220 for a 3 month license.

Oh, and it is enforced, never guess how I know that.
Theres a dude down the road who busks in a bunny suit and plays video game theme songs like mario and shit. He's not bad, quite good at slapping.