Opinions on him?

I find his playing very enjoyable. I feel that he deserves the praise he gets, if not more.
RIP Tom Searle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKx5cY4OcaI

This is what Travis Barker calls a drum solo, a part of the set which you usually use to show off and do the most show-offy, technical stuff you can.

His most show-offy stuff sounds like it's taken out of a "Playing Drums for Dummies" book, and he tries to make up for it by beating the shit out of his drums, which is not neccessarily a bad thing, but when it's done for compensating the fact that your drumming bag of tricks is about as deep as a puddle, it's just embarassing.

EDIT: and I'm a guy who is really not into hyper technicality or speed, but you need to at least have groove, especially as a drummer, and this guy has nothing at all.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 3, 2011,
He's no John Bonham, but no one ever will be
but he plays fast and technically sound
E-Father to itorch, Andrea55, guitarxo and BlessedRebel15
E-Grandpa to Basti95, davrockist, KitKat555, Mark Roxx, Renegade_Lobo
E-Bro to slash_GNR666
I blog...

Quote by Andrea55

Quote by MH400

and you raise me a performance with slightly more technical stuff and the use of a second snare drum, but zero dynamics and zero feeling.

/not impressed in the least

He's a decent drummer in a band, sure, but his playing on its own is just very meh.

Plus, he only gets praise because he's a pop-punk drummer who can do paradiddles at a slightly higher speed.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 3, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
He's a decent drummer in a band, sure, but his playing on its own is just very meh.

This is basically my feelings.

I enjoy his playing, but I can't just listen to drums being played alone, let alone these. They're just not interesting enough for me.
Quote by CoreysMonster
and you raise me a performance with slightly more technical stuff and the use of a second snare drum, but zero dynamics and zero feeling.

/not impressed in the least

Not sure how you can say it has 0 feeling.

The bit that I underlined is what I like most about him - and you said it yourself. His style fits Blink so well. In fact, it almost makes Blink.

The best thing about any drummer is their ability to fit within a band, to fill the sound and make it come together as a whole. Its what sets good drummers apart from normal drummers. Blink would sound like crap if Travis was doing all kinds of technical crazy shit all the time.

Yes, being able to play technical stuff is all well and good, but the ability to fit your band surpasses that, in my opinion.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
Yes, being able to play technical stuff is all well and good, but the ability to fit your band surpasses that, in my opinion.

not when the band is Blink182. Any moderately skilled drummer could do that.

And feeling comes from dynamics, tension and interesting fills and grooves, just like with guitar. Barker just beats the crap out of his drum with non-coherent and very standard fills.
Quote by CoreysMonster

And feeling comes from dynamics, tension and interesting fills and grooves, just like with guitar. Barker just beats the crap out of his drum with non-coherent and very standard fills.

I dunno. I'm struggling to imagine them with anyone else. I regard him pretty highly, especially on their faster songs.
RIP Tom Searle.
I'd rate Travis as a fairly good drummer as well to be honest. Not the best by any means, but I'd never call him average. Being a pop punk band must help, because he does a lot of interesting beats compared to his peers, and he raised the standard for the newer bands coming out in the last few years.

I think the problem he has is that he has become overrated and underrated at the same time, in my opinion.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Last edited by Skinny91 at May 3, 2011,
He's not bad by any standard, but not every competent drummer has interesting playing.

I find solo-esque playing like this to be far more compelling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3zCfvVCdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvBRTHxsXCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpNAlfLAjxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOR0hUIGb4Y
Last edited by Steve08 at May 3, 2011,
Eh, I like him in Blink, and like MH400 stated, he suits Blink. I don't think he's exceptionally talented, but he's suited for a playing style, not someone who can kick the shit out of the drumset like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eDV4fJcRUI

It's a little ways in. Steve08 can back me up on that one.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Well, you see being pop punk band - they aren't exactly going for crazy drum solos and strange time measures. His playing fits the band well, he COULD play some really simple beats over the songs but he doesn't, he plays some awesome stuff.

You don't like him. Ok i think we get that now.
Last edited by rko at May 5, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster

I disagree, Travis has feel, you can see it every time he plays that he's enjoying the hell out of it.

And feeling doesn't just come from dynamics etc... It comes from being able to play what suits the situation. Feeling It by Blink 182 would be a good example, he's not banging the crap out of the drums in this song and even the fill, as simple yet quick and powerful as it is, towards the end builds the energy.

I think Gavin Harrison would be able to explain it better than I can, but having a bag of tricks and all sorts of technical prowess doesn't matter much if you're able to suit the band, the song and the situation. Like Questlove from the Roots, going by what you've said about Travis, then Questlove is an awful drummer. But he's regarded as one of the best hip hop drummers because he just keeps the groove, the guy has virtually no "chops" or technical ability whatsoever but he just does what he feels is right and what's needed.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Niiko
Like Questlove from the Roots, going by what you've said about Travis, then Questlove is an awful drummer. But he's regarded as one of the best hip hop drummers because he just keeps the groove, the guy has virtually no "chops" or technical ability whatsoever but he just does what he feels is right and what's needed.
Not sure what gave you this idea, but he definitely does. It's not really shown in the Roots since the music hardly calls for that, pretty much every drummer worth their salt has chops though.
Quote by Steve08
Not sure what gave you this idea, but he definitely does. It's not really shown in the Roots since the music hardly calls for that, pretty much every drummer worth their salt has chops though.

Not really, I've seen his drum solos and watched him live and he doesn't have much if anything. You don't need chops to be a good drummer. Knowing what to do and when/how to do it counts for much more.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

I feel that Barker is just a loud drummer. That's it. Technically and musically he isn't much. But his style does work for Blink 182.
Quote by Niiko
Not really, I've seen his drum solos and watched him live and he doesn't have much if anything. You don't need chops to be a good drummer. Knowing what to do and when/how to do it counts for much more.
Er... did you watch the vid? Check out, say the stuff starting at 0:15 that he builds up... that isn't chops? Single pedal, too. I'd go so far as to say that was better (and more impressive) than any lick Barker's ever played.

He's certainly no Aaron Spears or Gil Sharone, but he knows what he's doing in terms of gospel licks.
Last edited by Steve08 at May 5, 2011,
Travis is a good drummer. Soulja Boy is lucky that he saved his shitty song with that drum mix. I'm not a big fan of Blink but they have a few good songs. Damnit is always fun to play on drums.
Quote by drummer420
Travis is a good drummer. Soulja Boy is lucky that he saved his shitty song with that drum mix. I'm not a big fan of Blink but they have a few good songs. Damnit is always fun to play on drums.

Travis didn't record Dammit
Quote by Steve08
Er... did you watch the vid? Check out, say the stuff starting at 0:15 that he builds up... that isn't chops? Single pedal, too. I'd go so far as to say that was better (and more impressive) than any lick Barker's ever played.

He's certainly no Aaron Spears or Gil Sharone, but he knows what he's doing in terms of gospel licks.

What vid?
And I'm sure we've both missed eachothers points somewhere
But what i'm saying is, you don't need to have chops to make you a good drummer. Sure you can do some awesome stuff with it, but it shouldn't have to define what makes a good drummer. Kinda like Tony Royster Jr.... The guy has some insane skills on the set, like Mangini, but loads of people hate the guy for being an awful drummer (Why? I don't know, he's one of my favourites though)
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Quote by MH400
The bit that I underlined is what I like most about him - and you said it yourself. His style fits Blink so well. In fact, it almost makes Blink.

I actually very much enjoyed Scott Raynor's work for the band... He had some pretty good hi-energy punk chops and was certainly a more "go"-oriented kind of drummer.

edit: But yeah, I think Travis has plenty of feel, but I don't think you should listen to solo performances for that. I think the Lucozade clip was a little more "jungle" than anything, but very enjoyable still.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at May 6, 2011,
I liked his Souja Boy rendition. Other than that he's just your average good drummer that hit the big time with a band like Blink182.
Quote by Niiko
What vid?
And I'm sure we've both missed eachothers points somewhere
But what i'm saying is, you don't need to have chops to make you a good drummer. Sure you can do some awesome stuff with it, but it shouldn't have to define what makes a good drummer. Kinda like Tony Royster Jr.... The guy has some insane skills on the set, like Mangini, but loads of people hate the guy for being an awful drummer (Why? I don't know, he's one of my favourites though)
The one I hyperlinked to, sir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6QcrN4ihAo

Yeah, that's true, but almost anybody who receives some kind of recognition will have chops. Steve Gadd is worshiped because he plays so musically, but he has chops, same with Jeff Porcaro, Gary Chester and Jim Kelton, etc...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that chops don't make a good drummer, but a good drummer always has chops. Some more than others.

Both guys you mentioned are fantastic by the way.
Quote by Steve08
The one I hyperlinked to, sir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6QcrN4ihAo

Yeah, that's true, but almost anybody who receives some kind of recognition will have chops. Steve Gadd is worshiped because he plays so musically, but he has chops, same with Jeff Porcaro, Gary Chester and Jim Kelton, etc...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that chops don't make a good drummer, but a good drummer always has chops. Some more than others.

Both guys you mentioned are fantastic by the way.

Ah didn't see that! Thanks man!
Yeah I see your point now, but Steve Gadd is a bad example... We're talking mere human beings here, not one of the Gods of drumming Olympus
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra