*Incoming Wall of Text*

Hey guys, I'm not a new guitarist, but my girlfriend was wanting to get back into guitar playing again but she doesn't like the guitar her dad bought her for Christmas two years ago, I think it's a jaxxville of somesort. (if that name means anything to you, cause it doesn't to me)

So I offered to help her start again and to actually pick her some new (used) gear. I was thinking something like a used Jackson RR3 and a Peavey Vypyr of some sort, seeing as she can't play anything yet because she's forgotten. But, she's felt my Jackson and sat around with it and she says she likes the feel of it, again with my old Ibanez S470 which I sold on she liked that one too.

But there is a problem with the amp choice. Seeing as she lives in a really, really, really small house and shares a room with her sister and her nieghbours complain about her when she turns her music up (only happened once, but it was Nile. So what do you expect. Haha!) so it would have to be small. Can anyone tell me if the Line Six PODS are worth using as an amplifier or is it better to use a Peavey Vypyr.

But can anyone think of any guitars and amps which would be a great starter combination so she isn't as unlucky as I was to get a Squier bullet which was given to me by my father around the same time.

She likes a lot of random stuff such as Nile (Whome The Gods Detest album), Helloween, Cradle Of Filth (latest album and the one with the long title beggining with N), BFMV, Blind Guardian, Immortal, Sonata Arctica, Disturbed, Sabbath, Warrior, Warlock, Doro, Killswitch Engage, Trivium (crusade album), Metallica, Megadeth, Black Viel Brides, Crue, Power Quest, Slayer (Reign In Blood album), Children Of Bodom, Manowar, Dream Theater (Systematic Chaos album), W.A.S.P and Opeth.

So if anyone can help. I will be truely greatful.

Thank you.

Also posted this in EG but I can't find a way to delete the thread. So sorry about that/.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
my best bet would be somthing from the Jackson JS series (since she likes yours) and a low wattage Vyper or Spider IV. Ibanez Gios also make good starter guitars.
Fender Telecaster
Squier Jazzmaster
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster
Hagstrom F-301
Epiphone Dot

Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop CFH
Crate V33H>Bugera2x12

Bunderthird (Alt Rock)
www.facebook.com/bunderthird
Ahh... if it's metal you're after a Vypyr 30 or 15 will suffice (30s really covering a few more future bases, but could always save $$ for better gear later). Vox have their VT+ line which is another good line of modelling amps. Tried the Vox, and it's not a bad modelling am, nice cleans, but the high gain settings lacked a little something. Don;t think you can do much better for starter kit though. The Vypyrs are supposed to be the benchmark metal practice amp though, but they're hard to track down in my city.

(As much as I love my practice set-up, I can't really recommend it in this case. Mostly came together through sheer luck and getting crazy deals. The HT-1 is a great, low volume, tube tone practice amp. You can really push it without getting overly loud. I do need the Dist-X though to play the music above. On its own it could probably do Sabbath and Metallica, but yeah, probably won't cover all the bases.)

Just use master volume or headphones if sound is a big issue.

Guitar wise... whatever feels best. Can't go wrong with a trusty Yamaha Pacifica though as a starting point, lol. But yeah, a used Jackson is probably better.
I personally like how mine feels, and after the set-up it's pretty stable staying in Drop D without using the tremolo, but you can tell it's a starter guitar as it's electronics are pretty average. Humbucker can sound a bit weak, the single coils muddy.

I'm guessing she's more experienced and knows what she wants in a guitar though, so yeah, used bargains are the way to go. Just go into a music store and play as many different guitars as you can. See what feels the best and go from there.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at May 3, 2011,
So why not an RR3, if she likes the feel of them, isn't it sensable to go for one of those?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by baumaxx1
Ahh... if it's metal you're after a Vypyr 30 or 15 will suffice (30s really covering a few more future bases, but could always save $$ for better gear later). Vox have their VT+ line which is another good line of modelling amps. Tried the Vox, and it's not a bad modelling am, nice cleans, but the high gain settings lacked a little something. Don;t think you can do much better for starter kit though. The Vypyrs are supposed to be the benchmark metal practice amp though, but they're hard to track down in my city.

A VT+ is more than able to get any kind of high gain (metal tone) you want.

The most important thing is to make sure the amp is manual mode and not in one of the preset modes. Not that having 99 presets isn't really nice to have

Using one of the high gain amp models and the "metal dist" setting from the stomp box section will give you a good start at dialing in a modern metal tone.

I have anything against the Vypyr 30. I do have something against the Vypyr 15 Peavy lobotomized it so it would hit that $100 price point.

IMHO spend the extra and get a VT20+ or a Vypyr 30 the added features are well worth the slightly higher price
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Whats the difference between the 15 and the 30 watt Vypyr?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Yeah, the Vox can do metal, but it didn't sound full. I'd expect that from a practice amp though, but yeah, didn't get a good chance to play with it, but the VT40+ sounded thinner gained than a similar Cube on the metal setting. I seriously suspect that it was partly down to me not knowing how the particular amp reacts to settings though. The presets didn't grab me though and that's all I can say.

The 30 watt vypyr has stompbox effects added, a larger speaker (12" vs 8) and 15 watts more power. Ohh and you can use a Sanpera foot controller with it. You should probably invest in one as it opens up a few more features like a looper, wah, whammy effect, presets etc..
Last edited by baumaxx1 at May 3, 2011,
Quote by Fisheth24
Whats the difference between the 15 and the 30 watt Vypyr?
The 30 has over the 15....

1) 12" vs 8" speaker
2) Midi connection for updating firmware
3) Input for attaching Sampera floorboard
4) Control for selecting stompbox models missing from 15
5) 30 vs 15 watts
6) $200 vs $100

Seems like the 15 should be fine. She can use the headphone port for quiet playing.
I'm not to sure if that's a good idea xD

Especially as she's been interested in different Pedal sounds and I've heard that pedals don't sound too good with modelling amps?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100