Hi I recently sold my VOX VT30 because frankly it was rubbish and am about ready to buy a replacement.

The model that fits my needs best at the moment is the peavey envoy 110 (40 watt) at £200. It meets my requirements fair enough, its 40 watt speaker is a bit higher than I'd prefer (I'm in a flat) but fair enough and has 2 channels (footswtichable) with independent EQ's and sounds quite good for anything from rock to metal but before I commit to buying it I just want to ask if anyone has any alternatives suggestions to look into.

Budget is ideally £200 but I might consider £300 or at absolute most £330. Between 20 and 40 watts, solid state or hybrid (I cant afford to run a proper vavle amp and CANT STAND MODDELING AMPS). Must have 2 channels and be footswitchable preferably with independent EQ's. Would like its sound to be geared towards metal but since I could always get an overdrive pedal so long as it sounds good I dont mind to much about that aspect.

Thanks

P.S Ive already looked into the randall RX35DM and hughes and kettner blues 30 but didnt like them
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Last edited by sajuuk at May 3, 2011,
If you're going to use pedals for your drive anyway, I'd look at a bass amp. Better wattage for the money and I prefer them for guitars over solid state guitar amps. They're a lot cleaner.
Quote by sajuuk
I cant afford to run a proper valve amp

What do you mean by this? You talk about them like you need insurance and road tax on it

I'd recommend a 5w valve combo if you don't need to gig. For example Blackstar HT5, Blackheart BH5 etc. That is of course if you're willing to go valve.
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
Quote by I'mOnAPlain
What do you mean by this? You talk about them like you need insurance and road tax on it

I'd recommend a 5w valve combo if you don't need to gig. For example Blackstar HT5, Blackheart BH5 etc. That is of course if you're willing to go valve.

Well take my randall RG50TC for example, its a full valve amp and it draws a good 200 watts of electricity (and I might add a healthy proportion of that is wasted as heat) which if you pay an electricity bill on low earnings you would know its not really sustainable in the long term.

And thanks for the suggestion but I would like something a bit bigger than 5 watts. I dont know why but Ive tried these little 5 watt things and they just dont do it for me and I suppose I would like to have something that can gig just incase. I only said 20 watt to give me a broader range of suggestions.
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
if your going for rock and metal you could try a 30 watt line 6 amp. all kinds of settings and effects crammed into those little buggers with 4 presets u can customize
Quote by Hunterlevi
if your going for rock and metal you could try a 30 watt line 6 amp. all kinds of settings and effects crammed into those little buggers with 4 presets u can customize

i refer you back to my original post "CANT STAND MODELING AMPS". Youre suggesting a modelling amp ...
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by sajuuk
i refer you back to my original post "CANT STAND MODELING AMPS". Youre suggesting a modelling amp ...

why you hate them?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
why you hate them?

More or less down to pure preference. I've tried them and yeah they have a good range of sounds but I just cant deal with them. I feel an amp should just be 2 channels (at least) with nothing more complicated than a 3 band EQ each if I have to read instructions to understand how to program it then its no good for me.

If I want effects I'll buy pedals or just use guitar rig.
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
What about something like an Orange Crush CD35LDX ? I think it is a solid state amp with effects that can be turned off.