Hi all, I'm looking into getting an EQ Pedal but i didn't want to spend to much, so i thought from previous threads i read to get a Fish n' Chips. but in the UK the only place you can get them is Thomann which charge a £10 delivery charge which makes it cost £50. so i was wondering whether i should go with that or get one of the higher priced ones such as the MXR 6 band for £65 or the Boss GE-7 for £75 as if i'm gonna be spending more than i expected anyway then i would happily save up the extra money if it's going to be significantly better. Thanks in advance
Guitars

Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Fender MiM Strat

Amps

Vox VT40+
Marshall MG15CDR

Quote by LeakyFlask
I know how it feels dude, none of my pickguards have guitars.

I've only ever dealt with really big EQ's on mixers and the like. I would imagine you want quite a simple one for your guitar, no?
If you're not looking to spend much, I would say go for the MXR 6-band. I'm sure it's superior to the Dano.

I own both a Dano 7-band and the MXR 10-band. The Dano has become a plastic paperweight

Check your used market, you never know what might be there. I scored my MXR for $50 bucks with the power supply. (USD)
Yeah only want a siple one around 7 band.

yeah i was thinking i might be best going used and was leaning towards the MXR aswell.
Guitars

Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Fender MiM Strat

Amps

Vox VT40+
Marshall MG15CDR

Quote by LeakyFlask
I know how it feels dude, none of my pickguards have guitars.

I've got a GE-7 and have no complaints. a MXR 10 band would be a superior buy, true. But in a pinch, or for cheap, the GE-7 can been a decent pedal on any board.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
I bought a 31 band DOD EQ for $45 used. I had to clean all the faders and pots though, other than that it's good.
Look around used.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at May 3, 2011,
Quote by shields17
Thanks, for some reason i didn't think to check ebay for the fish n' chips

No Problem! If it wasn't for ebay I wouldn't have atleast half of my gear aha
I'd recommend getting the Fish n'chips for the price, its pretty good and just as good as the boss Ge-7 apparently, the only other EQ I'd get besides it is the MXR 10 band but thats £100..

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by shields17
I think i'm gonna try and get that Fish n' chips but if not would it be possible to use a rack mount EQ just not in a rack....?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_fbq1502_ultragraph_pro_graphiceq.htm

something like that?

That's what I originally suggested, a rackmount. They look cooler than pedals, and there is much more tonal flexibility. Don't like the hissing noise coming from your distortion pedal? No problem, turn down that frequency.
The problem with the one you linked to:
It's a stereo EQ. You will need Mono for guitar.
From your list, definitely the MXR.

If you play some styles of metal that require heavy, and specific EQ-ing (djent, prog) then the 10 band may be more worthwhile, and the extra flexibility doesn't hurt, but if you think you'll be happier get the MXR. The true bypass is always handy and I hear the guitar's tone is left fairly natural through the MXR, while most Boss pedals I've used sap a bit of tone unfortunately.
Quote by timbit2006
That's what I originally suggested, a rackmount. They look cooler than pedals, and there is much more tonal flexibility. Don't like the hissing noise coming from your distortion pedal? No problem, turn down that frequency.
The problem with the one you linked to:
It's a stereo EQ. You will need Mono for guitar.

You can use a stereo EQ with the guitar, you'll just only use one channel.
Quote by littlephil
You can use a stereo EQ with the guitar, you'll just only use one channel.

Of course, but with EQ he showed he'd be getting a small amount of bands for the amount of occupied rackspace.