Hey guys

There seems to be loads about customising basses and replacing pickups, but what I cant find anywhere is: What are the best type of stock/factory pickup??

I'm buying a bass soon and have no clue on whether split coils, humbuckers or P&J pickups are best. I have a few basses in mind but they all have different pickups so I don't know which is best does anyone know which is best?? I play Heavy Metal/Metalcore etc. if that helps

All help is much appreciated and thank you in advance
I hate it when people do this.

Pickups come in all shapes and sizes because they sound different. I could go through what each pickup is physically and what it's famous for, but I can't be bothered and someone else will probably explain it better than me anyway.

You get higher/lower quality pickups in each shape/configuration and when you get to top of the line pickups, it's all personal preference.

EDIT: What basses do you have in mind? Pickups make much less difference than some people seem to think.

Also what amp will you be using? This will have a massively bigger impact on what you sound like.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at May 3, 2011,
I wish people would be like hey, I like my tone smooth kinda punchy and very bass heavy, I love cakes bass tone. what should i get. that would be so much more helpful then a broad genre.

ANYWAY in the world of music there is no best. I play beatup shitty guitars almost exclusively, and my bass has emg-hzs in it that actually work sorta well for the boomy tone I like, even though emg hzs aren't the most versatile pickup in the world and i couldn't recommend them to anyone.

so this is what you should do ts. go listen to bands untill you go I WANT THAT TONE then go see what hes playing on. come back to us and say i really lke this tone, post a vid of it, tell us what amp you have and we can be of a lot more help.
no sir away a papaya war is on
My apologies, i didn't realise what info you would need to help me.
@gilly I was looking at a Ashton AB900 which has two humbuckers, a Yamaha RBX170, or a Ibanez GSR, as you may have guessed from that list, this is gunna be my first bass so i dont have an amp at the moment, but my friend has a 100w amp which i can use, don't know what make though sorry :/.

@the pedestrian, I'm looking for a sound like Asking Alexandria - Chunky and heavy but clear enough to play precise rhythms.

Thanks hope thats more helpful
You're looking for a sound like they type of band that has a sentence instead of a name. I think humbuckers sound best for that sort of music, naturally scooped and aggressive.

That said, just about any bass with any pickup configuration will sound alright in any band situation.
Quote by AndyBFMV
My apologies, i didn't realise what info you would need to help me.
@gilly I was looking at a Ashton AB900 which has two humbuckers, a Yamaha RBX170, or a Ibanez GSR, as you may have guessed from that list, this is gunna be my first bass so i dont have an amp at the moment, but my friend has a 100w amp which i can use, don't know what make though sorry :/.

@the pedestrian, I'm looking for a sound like Asking Alexandria - Chunky and heavy but clear enough to play precise rhythms.

Thanks hope thats more helpful

Forget about pickups. You need to concentrate on developing your technique and knowledge of the instrument. Your friends amp should be fine for what you need right now. As for the bass itself, the ibanez GSR gets my vote preferably one with a humbucker, but the P/J versions will do fine aswell. Ibanez makes decent low-range instruments that are great for beginners.
Side note: you can always tweak your sound using an EQ pedal (if the amp has none or is limited) and by adding effects. imo...it's unfair to say "i wanna sound like ______" or whatever becuase, and if you've ever been in a recording studio, you know) alot of what you hear on a record is not the tru bass tone. With the advent of digital recording, i can take a metal can, shove a stick in it, string it with a low E, record it, and have it come out sounding amazing (I'm exagerating for emphasis). I think you see my point.

Find a tone you like and go with that and don't be afraid to experiment!