Got a valvestate VS100 head (the three channel one that has a clean, OD 1 and OD 2 channel) and a VS 4x12 cab. basically, I can't get a proper heavy sound out of it and I want to ask you guys for settings you may have used on yours, in particular where to put the contour knob at...things like that.

Thanks for looking
define "metal" as that can mean different things to different people. if you mean modern downtuned metal then the VS probably isn't your best bet.
They are notoriously difficult to dial in, and are imo pretty bad for anything except some medium gain crunch tones. I've been told that they improve a lot with a cabinet with better speakers than the stock VS ones, but I have not tried that and can't confirm it. Can't hurt to take the head to the nearest guitar store and plug it into some cabs for testing though.

But however you view it, it's just not that great of an amp in the end. Sorry.

Also, settings threads are against the rules ('cause otherwise, the forum would be nothing but settings threads). There's an ultimate settings thread floating around somewhere here.
Quote by rokket2005
It can do this all day long,,, and did
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMuJ8u0UkjU

I'm sorry man, Death is great, one of my favorite bands, but one thing they did NOT do well was tones. The cheapest Line 6 unit will get you a better gain tone than most anything Chuck ever got. Though I must say, they are a perfect example of how you don't need great gear to have an overall cool sound, or to be successful.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

yeah,, im not a fan of most of his tones either, but if thats the type of metal that people go for, guitar tone isnt a hugely important matter. A lot of death's stuff wasnt mixed very well up until ITP/Symbolic anyway, and even then, the guitar tones werent the focal point of the music.
Quote by monwobobbo
define "metal" as that can mean different things to different people. if you mean modern downtuned metal then the VS probably isn't your best bet.

Well I'm talking about the heavier Thrash/Death like Slayer, Morbid Angel, Death, Carcass, etc...
I have a Valvestate, not really used anymore. It can easily get a thrash metal tone, especially if you boost it with an overdrive stompbox. But you won't get death metal (not talking about Death kinda tone now, more like Cannibal Corpse, Bloodbath, Nile). You can however try to use distortion boxes to get a heavier sound, as Valvestate works with them nicely. I still prefer my recently bought 6505, but Valvestate served me nicely as a solid state amp. Also, for a while I used it with a Pod XT Live, plugging it into FX return, and I gotta say that didn't sound half bad in metal tones . Oh, and you wanted settings, IIRC mine were: OD2 Channel, gain: max, bass: 6, mid: 7, treble: 8-9, contour: a little below the max, so the tone isn't so scooped. And boosted with Tubescreamer in front.
Last edited by pitimor at May 3, 2011,
yes they can, especially boosted with a mxr wylde od
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by surface54
check my profile mp3s.
everything label marshall valvestate vs100
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/surface54/music/all/play805750

i now have a DSL100 and yet its a better amp, this valvestate recorded alot better and was easier out of the gate.
cheers!

Oh my gosh that tone is so full and heavy, how did you get that, did you use any pedals or is that the valvestate straight up?

And what did you have the volume on? If it's possible, can I have the settings you used, including the position of the volume?
The answer to the question "Can a Marshall Valvestate play <insert anything>?" is always no - with the possible exception of buzzsaw scandinavian stuff.

Really, they are a dreadful amp. The only good thing a Valvestate has going for it is that there aren't any around here.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The answer to the question "Can a Marshall Valvestate play <insert anything>?" is always no - with the possible exception of buzzsaw scandinavian stuff.

Really, they are a dreadful amp. The only good thing a Valvestate has going for it is that there aren't any around here.

Well that's obvious bullshit because Chuck Schuldiner played them, and while he doesen't have the best metal tone in the world, it is actually listenable and the songs are good enough to be considered some of the best metal songs of all time
I had one sitting in my jam room for many months. It sucked so bad that it caused a draft. Not even a Soldano cab could slow down the rush of air as the amp just sucked in everything around it. Put too many Valvestates in one place and the combined sucking would form a black hole and kill us all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by kerkhammet
Well that's obvious bullshit because Chuck Schuldiner played them, and while he doesen't have the best metal tone in the world, it is actually listenable and the songs are good enough to be considered some of the best metal songs of all time

Best songs =/= best tone.
Someone famous using something =/= that item being good

The tones you hear on a recorded album are almost certainly double tracked and EQ'd to make it fit into the mix of their songs. Chucks tone is really not good. It sits well in the context of their songs, but that doesn't mean its good.
Quote by littlephil

The tones you hear on a recorded album are almost certainly double tracked and EQ'd to make it fit into the mix of their songs. Chucks tone is really not good. It sits well in the context of their songs, but that doesn't mean its good.

Yeah it's not amazing, but it's really not all that bad to be honest. and what about the dude a few posts up, who got a really good sound out of it. right now, I can't afford to buy a new amp, and I have to deal with what I'm gonna try and get something out of it.
Quote by littlephil

Someone being an elitist snob =/= someone having a valid argument. Good tone is subjective, as are good songs.

Ive got a 40W valvestate, and putting a celestion V30 in the cab opened it right up. They just suck with the stock speakers - maybe it cant do "metal" but I can get wicked 80's metal tones, and a lot of hard rock out of it. It's my main amp right now, and I like it. It's soon to become my rhythm channel, but I have no intention of selling now that it has the V30.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Planet hybridia after too many Valvestates were turned on at a battle of the bands. Nature can only abide so much suckage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ma_tt11
Someone being an elitist snob =/= someone having a valid argument. Good tone is subjective, as are good songs.

Nope. Bad stuff is universally bad.

On the other hand, there are people who have absolutely no taste. Perhaps that's what you're referring to?

Also, the VS sucks.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I want an amp that can play music all by itself. That would be epic win.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Nope. Bad stuff is universally bad.

On the other hand, there are people who have absolutely no taste. Perhaps that's what you're referring to?

Also, the VS sucks.

Depends what you use it for. It's no $2000 amplifier, but it does what I need it to just fine. Swap the speaker and you're headed in the right direction, the only reason it gets a universal "suckage" is because people that own them rarely do.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by CL/\SH
I want an amp that can play music all by itself. That would be epic win.

you need a spider jam.

i'm careful not to walk too close to valvestates.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
TBH, I think Valvestate amps are a little unappreciated.. They're not as bad as people make them seem. Granted, it's no JCM or anywhere close to one, but it does it's job. I've owned two of them in the passed, an AVT20 and a VS100, both combos.. I admit it's hard to dial in a good tone but you can actually get one. It covers classic rock, hard rock and blues pretty decent imo. Using an OD to boost and an EQ helps it a great deal too.. And swapping the speaker (my VS100 came witha Marshall Gold) does help it even more. I still use my VS when my JCM800 is too much amp at times. (Is there ever a case when an amp is "Too much amp"?? lol)