i would like to wire an iec female to a standard single american power outlet in a relatively small space, can this be done? where should I go for parts?
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
whats the situation? whatre u trying to do with this? u have an iec female and u want to make it just three wires (live/neutral/earth)?

i would make sure you know exactly what ur doing first. messing with mains voltage hurts quite a bit when done wrong.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
All the IECs I've seen are already mains-male-to-IEC-female:
Last edited by 100%guitarmad at May 3, 2011,
no im doing like a female to female wiring thing, there shouldnt be any messing with the (live/neutral/earth) thing i dont think. here

to

except with a single wall type of outlet.
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
Interesting. I can't imagine why you'd want to do that, but yes it can be done. You'll just need to make a custom wall panel for it, then wire it up. IEC receptacles are available all over the place. Mouser, Antique Electronic Supply, etc.

EDIT:
I just want to note that it will be incredibly unsafe having live connector leads exposed like that.
Last edited by CECamps at May 4, 2011,
Its going to be in the bottom of a pedalboard, it wont be exposed, the iec and wall jack will be mounted close to eachother under my pedalboard and there will be a powerstrip plugged in under the pedalboard as well. its like a pedalboard with a false bottom.
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
You'll want to insulate your cable well, otherwise you may introduce 50Hz or 60Hz (depending on location) noise into your signal.
Please view my first ever recording on my profile - Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40
Insulation has nothing to do with noise. noise comes from the magnetic field generated in the wire. keeping an equal and opposite field as close as possible to it would take care of any noise (ex. using any sort of zipcord or cable for the mains wiring)

and TS also stated that the IEC receptacle is female, so there would be no exposed terminals anyway (although the pic TS posted is a male IEC jack...).
Ok, sorry for the confusion Jim, the pic is right. not my words. but it would still work right?
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
It would still work, but like Craig said, having exposed 120vAC even under the pedal board is dangerous, a misplaced finger could result in a not-so-fun shock. Using a female jack is a much better, and safer Idea. Maybe you could create a female to male connector to attach to whatever you're plugging into it.

Whatever you're taking from the wall, you want where the user (you) will be touching to be a female, and the amp or what ever connects to that can be male.