I am new to recording and producing, but not to playing guitar. I am eager to start making my own music. what program(s) would be the best for pc, also where can I find decent backing tracks and beats to go with this? I am sort of on a budget, I don't want to go broke doing it. Thanks in advance, and hopefully I will soon be on my way to creating my own songs.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
this is my first thread created today???
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
Line 6 M13
same idea, but he has a 5-800 budget, i just want to know how to do it, please give advice.
Line 6 M13
Well...what is your budget?

Some things I could recommend are Reaper (as a DAW). It is very inexpensive/free. I would recommend minimally getting a condenser mic (I use a MXL 990, which is about 60 dollars give or take). I run that into a mixer (Behringer 802: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/802.aspx). The mixer was about 60 dollars, though you will need something else to run it into your computer via USB. I bought a 30 dollar port so I can run straight from the mixer into my computer. I also own a Line 6 POD FARM GX (100 dollars) which has built in effects for lining in a guitar. Currently I tend to run from my mixer through the pod farm as an alternative method of recording live instruments and adding some additional effects.

Thats a run down of most of my recording hardware. That is about 200 dollars worth of gear, give or take.

For drum tracking I'd say get EZ Drummer or a similar program. I use this because it was inexpensive (100 dollars) given what it can do. It has built in loops, and more importantly for me is MIDI control. I write my drums in Guitar Pro and am able to export and manipulate the drum track in Reaper. Nice and simple for getting drums without owning a drum kit/knowing how to play/buying an assload of recording equipment.

That is my standard recommendation as I am a cheap ass when it comes to recording myself. I wouldn't expect anything "professional" sounding, but you can do some nice demos with this gear. Here is a song I recorded using the above equipment (plus some synth VST's via Garageband on Mac): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deRAWszmL68&feature=relmfu

I hope this helps you out!
Right on! Great info! Also if you dont already have one, you need something to plug into the comp. I use the M Audio Fast track which works good. They have lots of models but the $100 one works fine. This way you dont need a mic or analog mixer unless you want to record vocals and control the mix. Like the previous guy said you wont have Pro quality but still very good recordings.

Good luck!
Last edited by dopelope at May 3, 2011,
much appreciated, that is what I was looking for, thanks for all the help. I am not looking to be pro, yet, but creating and having fun doing so is my ultimate goal. I appreciate all the help.
Line 6 M13
I am using a custom made electric guitar with EMG 81 pickup and BOSS MT2 stomp box & Korg AX3000G, and also Lexicon Alpha Audio interface, with Cubase 5 recording software, till now i was using Korg for rec purpose but my band is not satisfied with the dist tone of korg and hv tried tweaking it since past 3 yrs and the best i could get was with Metal Dist G8.5 V9 T6 M4 B7 and which is pretty awesome sounding to me but not to my other members, and so i picked up my BOSS MT2 and started tweaking with it using my small Marshall amp n found out the tone is much heavier than korg and so i decided to record it but while rec the output of BOSS pedal is very minute and hardly audible.
Pls help me out on this ??????