Hi i've only been playing guitar for a year or so and i've been using a Deluxe Lonestar Strat along with a peavey vypyr 15. I'm now getting a lil' bored of the Vypyr so thought i'd get some new gear. I've been looking at the Orange Crush PiX CR20L along with either a pocket POD or a POD 2.0. Is this a good idea or any other suggestions?

Thanks in Advance
Ohhh i had no idea the Orange Crush was a modelling amp?? thanks for the advice
Quote by MrWilson6
Ohhh i had no idea the Orange Crush was a modelling amp?? thanks for the advice
It's not really. It's more of a plain ol' solid state amp that just happens to be in the same price range as most modeling amps. There is literally no modelling circuitry inside of those amps.

Pedals (and the POD) will work fine with it. The only ones that won't are overdrive pedals and any distortion pedal that also adds a signal boost. This is because you don't want to clip the signal in a solid state amp too much or it starts to sound very harsh...especially at high volumes.

Guy above me has no idea what he's talking about. Don't listen to him.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at May 3, 2011,
Riight thanks for the advice there i understood most of it but clipping signals and all that is waaay over my head soo do you think that'd be a decent combo to use at home or do you have any other suggestions??
Quote by MrWilson6
Riight thanks for the advice there i understood most of it but clipping signals and all that is waaay over my head soo do you think that'd be a decent combo to use at home or do you have any other suggestions??

Well I happen to have the Micro Crush (which has generally the same tone as the Crush 20L...just smaller) and a Vypyr 30. I like both of them.

If I had to choose an amp to keep, I'd choose the Vypyr honestly. But that's just because of the tones I need. Here's my opinion on the difference:
---
The Vypyr is better for very clean tones and very high gain tones, plus has more effects and is more versatile.

The Orange is better for mid-gain and vintage tones, and takes pedals better than the Vypyr. it's also less versatile than the Vypyr.

With the Orange, you get one tone with either more or less gain. With the Vypyr, you get multiple tones because it simulates different amps.

Anyways, I say all that to say that if you play classic rock or modern midgain rock exclusively and want to buy effects pedals, then go for the Orange. If not, then the Vypyr is probably a better choice.

Hope that helped!
P.S. I also have the Deluxe Lonestar Strat...such an awesome guitar.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Thanks for that it sure helped Just one more question if i did decide to get the orange amp with a POD would i be able to get a much larger range of tone or would it still all sound pretty similar??
The way that the POD would change your tone would be about the same as the way the effects on the Vypyr change your tone. The only differences would be that there would be more effects (depending on which POD you got), you'd have 2 channels instead of the Vypyrs 24 'channels', and you could plug your POD straight into your PC and and skip using an amp at all.

Really changing from a Vypyr to an Orange Crush + POD isn't really an upgrade or downgrade. Its more of a change.

Also this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjgTRiHHTlI

^ That definitely boosted the amps normal gain capabilities. So from that vid I'd say you could get pretty close to any tone you wanted with POD + Orange. The only thing is that you could also do that with a Vypyr so honestly I wouldn't bother unless you're REALLY tired of your Vypyr.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Thanks for that, i may just sell my vypyr 15 and upgrade to a 30 at least then i'd have the stompboxes to mess with and it's less expensive
Just caught the P.S on the other post, too damn right the lonestar is amazing