Just bought a Engl Powerball head (thanks to everyone who helped discuss pros and cons!) and now i need a great cabinet. Naturally one is attracted to a 4/12 mofo, but does the size actually like effect tone, sound etc.

and if anyone has recomendations, shoot.

Cheers!
Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Open-backed cabinets tend to send a bit more "middy" and have some more high end to them, while closed-back cabinets are a bit more bassy, as seen in the Mesa oversized cab. Ported cabs also do have added bass to them.

I'm guessing that you play metal, and since you don't state a budget I'll give you the best:
-Orange 412PPC
-Port City 2x12 ported (not sure if they make 412 ported)
-Emperor cabs
-Mills Acoustic
Quote by vivalaheerey
Just bought a Engl Powerball head (thanks to everyone who helped discuss pros and cons!) and now i need a great cabinet. Naturally one is attracted to a 4/12 mofo, but does the size actually like effect tone, sound etc.

and if anyone has recomendations, shoot.

Cheers!

Yes, and I recommend something Oversized to get more bass because The powerball is more mid/high isnt it? Ive never played one I just guess it would be.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by maddnotez
Yes, and I recommend something Oversized to get more bass because The powerball is more mid/high isnt it? Ive never played one I just guess it would be.

Isnt the PBall supposed to be "scooped" sounding?
^ Pretty sure the PB is the most scooped amp ever.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ Pretty sure the PB is the most scooped amp ever.

I thought that was the Fireball? Thought powerball was for more 80's rock. Oh well if its scooped. Than you probably want the orange to produce more mids.

I have only heard samples from netmusicians.org sounded like it lacked low end.
OK cool thanks for your help, my price range is around £500. Is there any reason why there is a a major price difference between the Orange PPC410 Cab and PPC412 cabinet minus the size?
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
£500?

Go for a Closed back Orange 212.

If you can find a closed back 412 Orange, buy it, but the 212 is brilliant on its own.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
for metal i thought closed backs were better suited?
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Quote by vivalaheerey
for metal i thought closed backs were better suited?

Thats what I have always used. But I hear the ported cabs give a rediculous low end, if thats what your after.
They do, but porting a cab is completely different from having an open back cab

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Ok so ported gives better bass than closed back and open gives move head room i hear.But is there any major difference minus the size between the 4 x 10 and 4 x 12 orange cabinet? cos the price differnce is like 200 quid....
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
you want the 412 if it has to 4X anything...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
you want a closed back 4x12 cab with that amp
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by vivalaheerey
Ok so ported gives better bass than closed back and open gives move head room i hear.But is there any major difference minus the size between the 4 x 10 and 4 x 12 orange cabinet? cos the price differnce is like 200 quid....

On either scenario there would be a noticable difference I imagine. More bass or more headroom lol...

Also weight??, alot of people say 10's are a little punchier. I have never used a 4x10 for guitar.
Ok so leaning towards the Orange closed backs 4 x 12/412 (assuming its the same thing)
but yeah can someone asnwer my question regarding a differnce in tone/sound between the 412 and 410?

thanks again for all your help, so glad theres a forum for this stuff, i find the workers at my local guitar shop a bit arrogant

Edit:

just saw the new message, thanks!
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Last edited by vivalaheerey at May 4, 2011,
I would try to search you tube or netmusicians for a difference.

I would guess 4x10 would be a little punchier but yet thinner.

4x12 would be a little wider.

As far as actual "tone" I would also guess that it will be based off the same tone either way. Just a thinner or wider variation of the tone you are getting from your amp/guitar/cab.
I play through an Ampeg 410hlf and it sounds bassier and not as harsh on the high end. It all adds up to personal preference really. Not to mention that 4x10 guitar cabs are hard to find.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
on that note check out Engl dealers. There is one in Illinois that is going o.o.b. had a Engl 4x10 on the cheap...less that half price i think was a steal..Might take a lil work looking it up but wow i forgot about that you should get that