I have a Digitech Heavy Metal Distortion pedal hooked up to an Ibanez RG2EX1 guitar and a Peavey Bandit 112 amp. But it's really not doing what I want it to.

I know jack shit when it comes to pedals, and this one was a gift, and I've been messing around with it to get the sound that I want, and it's really just not good enough.

I want to get a typical 80's metal sound out of it (think Whitesnake, for example). Do you have any suggestions on what pedals to use, or any specific settings anyone uses on their amps to get that sound?

Much appreciated for any help.
Last edited by goingnowhere21 at May 3, 2011,
You will never get the tone you're looking for out of a 15w practice amp - pedals alter your sound, they don't improve it
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
You will never get the tone you're looking for out of a 15w practice amp - pedals alter your sound, they don't improve it

My mistake, Peavey Bandit 112*. It's an 80 watt amp.
Quote by goingnowhere21
My mistake, Peavey Bandit 112*. It's an 80 watt amp.

I had one of those for awhile way back in the day. It was an ok amp for what it was.

You can pick up a used Boss MT2 or SD1 (or both in your price range) that might get you closer to what you want. They are both great mod platforms too so you can switch out parts if you have any proficiency with a soldering iron.
in my opinion, boss distortion pedals sound like shit and i've only ever had problems with them. i currently have an mxr fullbore ($100) and it can do just about any tone im looking for. ultra high gain to really light, bluesy sounds. also, the vox satchurator is a really nice pedal, though it is a bit above ur price range @ $120

this is the fullbore. his english isnt great but it does a really great job at showing wat the pedal can dohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmJUaRNPS-0
also, pedal tip, try just cranking the level/volume control on the pedal, really pushes the pedal to its limits and shows its full potential.