Hey, I was looking for some help picking out a new electric. I tend to play in a lot of different styles but I don't shred or anything.

- Price range will max out around $500.
- I would love a toggle switch and would prefer to have at least one humbucker pick up.
- I would like to stay away from really thin necked guitars, but the neck size is not too important.
-24 frets would be cool, but 22 frets would be great as well.

I was looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Studio ($350) or Standard($400).
Would the $50 difference be worth it?
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
The lower end epiphone stuff in my experience is hit and miss with quality.

Check out th Schecter Tempest, theyre going for a little more than your price range. They have a les paul feel with a slightly thinner neck and they come with coil tap. Saving up an extra 100 bucks would be worth it in the long run.

Ibanez also makes some other guitars that aren't completely shred style. Check out the ART series.
Divider (Prog/Ambient Metal)

Guitars:
LTD TE-202
Schecter Sunset Extreme
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Crunch Lab & LiquiFire
Tanglewood Acoustic
Epiphone Acoustic (The Junker)
Last edited by Capataincrunch at May 3, 2011,
+1 for the schecter. very nice guitar for the money, and they can be found within your price range.

also check out stuff like the PRS SE Singlecut Korina. They're great for the money and very versitile. Certainly a step up from epiphone
Are you willing to go used? And where are you located?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm located in the United States, Connecticut and Vermont areas (I go back and forth between the two). I would go used if I can, and I could go a bit higher than the $500 I just really can't afford to go over $700.00. Thanks for the suggestions so far. The Schecter Tempest Standard seems really cool, and I can try before I buy too so on Thursday, I'm going to Daddy's Junky Music to browse around and in a week I can go to Daddy's Junky Music and/or Guitar Center to try out some more or buy.
Quote by bizkitday4eva

Well you could check out an LTD EC401, or an EC1000 (Or any EC model between 300 and 1000 really, they're all good).

They have everything on your check list, and come with either 22 or 24 frets depending on the model, as well as actives or passives. The necks are right in the middle of the spectrum, pretty far away from Ibanez style necks, but not as chunky as traditional Gibson style necks.

Any EC model 300+ will blow away either of the Epiphones you're looking at.

Just my suggestion. Of course, there's way more out there, but LTD is what I'm most familiar with.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
PRS SE. Check them out. I'm actually pretty astonished more people don't know about/play them.
Except for the slight change is body shape, what is the difference between the Schecter Tempest Standard and the Schecter Solo 6 Standard?
Quote by bizkitday4eva

Last edited by Ticket48 at May 4, 2011,
You had mentioned if the $50.00 difference between a Epi LP Studio and Standard would be worth it, and speaking from experience, absolutely yes! You can't go wrong with a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but they are heavy. Have you considered looking at some of the ESP LTD models? For $400.00, you can get a ESP LTD EC-256, which is a variation on the Les Paul design and has a distressed finish in Gold, Black, and Cherry Burst. I've tried them out and they sound great and aren't as heavy as a Epiphone LP Standard.