|---------------12-15p12------------|
|-------------12--------12----------|
|-----------12------------12--------|
|---------14----------------14------|
|-------14--------------------14----|
|--12h15------------------------15--|

ok, so i know that the first notes are downpicked of course, then you downpick the 12 on the high e, and up pick the 15, pull off to 12 and then up pick the rest.

|--14p10--------------10h14p10------10h14/17p14----------14--|
|-------12----------12--------12--12-----------15------15----|
|---------11------11------------11---------------16--16------|
|-----------12--12---------------------------------16--------|
|-------------14---------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------|

here comes my question: the single notes on the ends of the sweeps (so the 14 on the a string, 11 on g string (second sweep) and 16 on d string): are they supposed to be up or down picked? or is it preference (well, its obviously preference, but what is more common/most used?)? and does it matter if its a 3 string sweep or a 5/6 string sweep? cuz sometimes i feel like downpicking that 14 on the a string, sometimes i dont.

If i do it slowly, i come to the conclusion that on 5 string sweeps, i prefer to downpick that 14, but uppick that 11. and i dont know why.

on a side note, just to let you know, downpicking sweep is harder (for me, but i have heard more people having problems with it)
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
I prefer to downpick the note crest... So that 14,11 and 16. It just starts the next phase of the sweep in my mind. There is not a wrong or right way here though.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Down pick usually, with some exceptions.
But no right or wrong way, whatever works best man.
I´d downpick that for sure, feels like your doing a little gap in motion then a new sweep.
OK, thank you. I know that it all comes down to preference, but i just wanted to know, thank you.
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
first, sorry for reviving my old thread, but i thought that this would be better (considering the question i'm gonna ask) than start a new thread.

Anyways:

--17----------17----------16----------16--------
----18------18--18------18--17------17--17------
------19--19------19--19------16--16------16----
--------19----------19----------18----------18--
------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------

now that i learned that usually you downpick these notes on the D string, i thought i would apply that knowledge in reverse at the high E, but it is really really really unnatural and annoying, even more than inside picking (wich is a pain in the ass). whats normal in this situation? whats the picking pattern for this sweep?
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
bump
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
I dont know if its the best way to play it but if that was gonna be sweept i would play it Up,up up, down down down, up up up, down down down etc.
There is no "best" way to play something, whatever works best for you is my answer. However I would play it the way ^^^^ he said.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Quote by Sickz
I dont know if its the best way to play it but if that was gonna be sweept i would play it Up,up up, down down down, up up up, down down down etc.

This is how I'd play it as well.

It's easy to overthink sweeping sometimes..usually it just comes down to keeping a steady fluid motion.
The above pattern is grouped nicely so the picking hand always follows a constant pattern - up 3 strings, down 3 strings, up 3, down 3 - it feels logical to me when it comes down to these kind of licks.
If you keep working on sweeping licks you'll definitely come up with some licks that are far less logical as to where the ups and downs go
Quote by brandon2784
There is no "best" way to play something, whatever works best for you is my answer. However I would play it the way ^^^^ he said.

That is true, i should of said it diffrently :P I ment i dident know if it was the most economical way of playing it.